ZWave Manual Thing Configuration

I’m not sure what the error is, but for starters you have not defined the things correctly. You can’t use the thing type zwave:device:controller:node2 - you need to define the correct type for your device not the generic one which is used if the system is defining the configuration.

Sorry I don’t quite understand the problem with the generic device type. Isn’t it the right way like Mickroz did it above?
If I change something in zwave:device:controller:node2 the thing isn’t recognized anymore in PaperUI and auto discovery finds the thing again so you could add it via PaperUI.

Thanks, that solves my issue. I’m kind of sorry for the dispensable question. I should have found it myself if I had used better key words for the search.

1 Like

What is the status on this - I see the PR is still work in progress.
This behaviour kind of breaks manual configuration - it there a possible workaround?

I’m not sure what you mean. The manual thing configuration PR was merged a long time ago.

The possibility to set z-wave configuration parameters while using manual thing configuration.

This is not possible until ESH provide this facility. As far as I know there is no work being done on this - I could be wrong though. There was some move toward implementing this about 6 months or so ago, but nothing really happened.

So how can I configure my devices? Is there any other way?

If you want to keep your unmanaged Things, you’ll need to removed the files, add managed Things, configure the devices, then remove the managed Things and put your Thing files back. The configuration should stay in the device, unless it’s reset or reincluded.

How would I do this? I ignored all the automatically detected Z-Wave Things so I don’t have them two times.
How can I reset the Thing-Ignore?

Go to Paper UI> Inbox… there is a ‘Show Ignored’ button.

That’s where I looked … it was not. I not restarted openhab two times and it seems that the things get discovered now. Configuration through PaperUI is so much BS … :face_vomiting:

I created a separate Z-Wave things file, but it doesn’t show up in Paper UI. I deleted the Aeon USB Stick Bridge, but the item I created doesn’t show up. This is what my Z-Wave Items looks Like:

//This is the Items File

//Demo Switch

Bridge zwave:serial_zstick:controller "ZWave Controller" [
port="/dev/ttyACM0",
controller_softreset="false",
controller_master="true",
controller_inclusiontimeout=60,
heal_enable="true",
heal_time=20,
security_networkkey="C2 3F 2E C5 F8 D6 BB 78 65 41 F6 98 69 24 FA 95"
	]
	{
	//thing Config
	Thing Z-wave:aeon_dsa02203_00_000:controller:node3 "ZWave Node 3: DSA02203" (zwave:serial_zstick:controller) [ node_id=3 ] 

shouldnt this be a things file ? not an Items file

If they insisted on manually creating it, yes. It is recommended my most people here to have OH automatically create the Thing. It is too easy to make mistakes.

If I insisted on manually creating in a file, I would automatically create the Thing first and read the Thing information using the REST API and use that as a basis for manually creating a Thing after deleting the automatic one.

can you tell me more about this ? I already created the things automatically, but would like to transfer it to a things file because of a system change. My problem is that the Zwave devices are hard to reach and therefore it is complicated to include them new

The will stay on the Z-Wave network since that information is stored n the controller. If you give the controller in the changed system the same name as the old controller, all the discovered Things should have the same ThingIDs as the old, unchanged system.

If you install the restdocs User Interface addon you can actually use that web interface to query the API.

For example, using the “Try it out” button here will list all the Things.

This looks like a good idea.
so the information about the nodes is stored in the controller and is not dependent on the system

so I could save all Zwave.things with the GET/things feature and than create new onces on the new system with the POST/things feature by copying the previously saved JSON ?

Managed Things are stored in a separate file within the jsondb, so you can just transfer that file or a portion of it, rather than using the REST API.