Zwave.me wall controller WALLC-S

To answer my own question :wink: Iā€™ve noticed the refresh_interval parameter which you can add to your zwave binding. I think that would partially solve the state problem I have now. But Iā€™ll test this tonight and post any results Iā€™ll find. More info and inspiration can be found in this post: Working with zwave nodes that donā€™t have association groups

The refresh_parameter seems to do its work. The OpenHAB state of the device is updated fine, although with a little (configurable) lag. What worries me though is the increasing number of messages on the ZWave network. Iā€™m starting to see some lag now and then, especially with ZWave commands sent from rules. From the ZWave (debug) log I see events appearing almost every few seconds. What would be the maximum number of messages per second in a typical ZWave network before things are really slowing down? Right now I have about 35 devices, 6 of which are battery operated and do not send any unsolicited messages. My guess is that the number of devices will be doubled when Iā€™ve reached my desired setup. Will it still perform?

Iā€™m not sure what the max amount of messages are or if that is even a hard number. I suspect that it depends not only on how many devices you have but how active they are. That is a stone cold shot in the dark so take it lightly. After playing around with the refresh settings I can tell you that there appears to also be limitations in the devices(Nodes) and not just a binding/controller thing. At the most frequent polling intervals I set while playing around one of my thermostats was the first device to stop responding and I was only polling it once per minute(but I was polling other devices more frequently). Makes sense since every device receives and repeats the message and this thermostat happens to be 10 feet from the A/V closet so itā€™s definitely getting and repeating every message.

As far as polling, my default intervals for switches and outlets is 1 minute because they can change at anytime. Devices like thermostats are 1 minute for operating state (heating, off) and 15 minutes for everything else. If the temperature in the house changes more frequently than 15 min iā€™d spend less effort on zwave and more on insulation :wink:. I donā€™t have zwave motion and contact sensors as I use my alarm panel for that but I would imagine that they actively communicate status changes and therefore wouldnā€™t require polling so I would set those to 5 - 10 minutes if I were using them. I am by no means a zwave expert but this is what works for me and what I think makes sense.

Hello, can someone help me with the configuration change of the Zwave-me Wall controler. I bought one this week and I managed to include it. I see it in the Habmin (see picture) but Iā€™m not able to change the Configuration Parameters.
I reed the post but no success so far.

Iā€™m pretty stuck on this. Very new to zwave and openhab, so itā€™s quite tricky to get the concepts right, but anyway. Iā€™m facing the NODE 2: Unsupported command class SECURITY (0x98) issue with my WALLC-S. Using RaZberry Gen5, RPi2, openhab 1.8, habmin 1 and Z-way for including units.

In habmin it seems I cannot do much. I can see the status of my devices but I cannot seem to change anything. Exclusion doesnā€™t work (log says Invalid message class RemoveNodeFromNetwork (0x4B) for sendData). Inclusion does not work (Invalid message class AddNodeToNetwork (0x4A) for sendData).

How do you get those Configuration Parameters for the WALLC-S? I donā€™t have any such.

I think I need someone to hold my hand here. I have no idea how to proceed.

Iā€™ve found them very fiddly devices and completely inconsistent across units. Some work straightaway. Others required exclusion/inclusion. Others (like yours) would never exclude and I returned them.

I still believe itā€™s me doing it wrong. I managed to exclude/reinclude the unit a few times, and I might have found a way to do it right. In Z-Way, there is an option to include a unit securely or insecurely. What it actually means, I donā€™t know, but by default the secure option is selected. I tried including it with the insecure option, and it actually stopped sending the secure message afterwards. I have two of these units and I will try doing the same with the second one to confirm or decline the correlation.

I have yet to figure out how to use the unit, but I feel like Iā€™m passed the showstopper. Now it sends another message openhab cannot understand, 0x5b, but I donā€™t think that is as fatal. At least it doesnā€™t leave the buttons stuck for half a minute.

Actually I like the Z-Way interface much better than habmin. Currently my habmin is broken anyway, so I donā€™t have much of a choice here. I read somewhere that you can use openhab without the zwave binding but instead with a wrapper to Z-Way. Iā€™ll probably try that out pretty soon unless everything magically resolve.

Iā€™m interesting in your item and rule definition, can you post them?

I have no idea about dimming with this device via a rule, because the wall switch sends no continuos command if pressed.

I just updated to Openhab 2.2.0 and had to re-include my WALLC-S switch.
When I now want to re-include the switch, it is not recognized as a WALLC-S switch, but as a ā€œZME_KFOB-S Secure 4 Button Key Chain Controllerā€.

I checked the specs of the 4 Button Key Chain Controller and as it looks from the specs similar to the WALLC-S, I included it.However, the buttons pressed at the WALLC-S are not transmitted correctly and thus, do not show up in the log. I checked the configuration and figured out that in the Association Groups, I was not able to select Node 1 (the zwave controller) but could, besides all other zwave devices, just select openHAB controller. Is this correct?

Why is the WALLC-S not recognized as a WALLC-S anymore? How can I get the switchup and running again?

Thanks for your help

I am using a Raspberry PI3