Zwave mesh network instability

No you misquote me again.

Sorry if I’ve misinterpreted your comments, but if I have, then others will likely have done so as well. I already see @Bruce_Osborne asking about bypassing the systems that we have to ensure a good network, and I just want to ensure that people understand the risk that they are taking.

I recommend that if people want a robust network, then they don’t try to bypass such checks.

1 Like

I was just trying to get the terms clear in my own mind. Since the buffer is good to have, I will just need to handle that situation outside of Z-Wave like I did this year…

OK I recommend if nothing is broken do not heal.

If it ain’t broken why try to fix it.

I’m not going to go around this loop again :wink:

I’ve already stated - things change - even if they don’t physically change locations or network. RF propagation will change and that may mean over time that link quality changes. This in turn may mean that the network topology could change.

Such issues are well known, and in my professional life I have an awful lot of knowledge about RF communications systems.

You are of course free to do what you like - I’ve provided many options in the binding to allow people to configure things as they see fit. However I’m also recommending how the majority of people should operate to try and provide the best network possible.

Yes, to have a house that large :slight_smile:
This case and a couple of issue people had with single nodes makes me wonder if it’s (easily) possible to implement a partial network heal, i.e. zwave things to be assigned a new parameter to mark them as either to be healed (standalone but automatic once a night) or to be left out of a general network heal. Today we only have the option of all or nothing. @chris wdyt?

There is also per device healing.

Yes but that’s manual, isn’t it.

1 Like

You would not say that if you saw it. Built 1600s and it has been slowly falling down ever since.

2 Likes

You can use the REST API to heal a Thing…

curl -X PUT --header "Content-Type: application/json" --header "Accept: application/json" -d "{\"action_heal\":true}" "http://localhost:8080/rest/things/zwave%3Adevice%3A55555%3Anode5/config"
2 Likes

FTR, you can also use this approach to force a node to be reinitialized. This can come in handy when the HABmin UI won’t let you do a reinit (because the node has not yet completed initialization). Just change the action_heal to action_reinit.

curl -X PUT --header "Content-Type: application/json" --header "Accept: application/json" -d "{\"action_reinit\":true}" "http://localhost:8080/rest/things/zwave%3Adevice%3A55555%3Anode5/config"
2 Likes

Is that like deleting & rediscovering the Thing?

No. It does the same thing as selecting Reinitialize the device on the HABmin menu. But, HABmin only lets you do this if the node has completed initialization. In the past, I’ve had reasons to want to do it before initialization has completed.

1 Like

The network tab in your browser’s developer tools can teach you a lot while in Habmin!

No, but this is possible. I used the REST API for it here…

I feel like I have to say something from hanging in the forum and trying to lend a hand to folks having trouble with zwave stuff… about 90% of the time they have a bad node, they probably didn’t even know was bad. One messed up node (low battery or whatever) floods the network

1 Like

Absolutely

Bad node (materialy or poor RF coms) or too many reports configured in too many devices.

Possible zombie nodes? They can cause routing havoc if I recall correctly.

You do not get a much worse node than a zombie one or a phantom association.

But still not sure how this helps Colin. He is running heal but his devices are still not working well.

Yeah sorry to OP @BigCol for the total thread jack but a good discussion ensued and I for one learned a lot

I’m thinking a repeater or mains powered node between shed and house best bet

@Andrew_Rowe that could be the answer

The thing is that does not explain why they work for a while then give up. That may indicate an issue with them or something else in the network. Would be sad to go and buy a repeater and then find it still dies.

@BigCol what nodes have you and how are things configured?

Has fix to heal and fact threads are no longer hanging helped any?