Zwave node xml file for sensor not being created

RPi4
Openhabian 2.5.5-1

Hi

I’ve been using OH for about 18 months now, until now doing everything via config files. I have a bunch of MQTT based sensors, switches and feeds into the system. Works great.
I recently upgraded to 2.5.5-1 and a Pi4, and that has been working great.

I need to now integrate a ZWave sensor. I’ve gone for the much recommended Aeotec ZStick Gen 5 and am trying to use it with the ZWA008 Door/Windows sensor 7 (supported)

I can load the binding.
I can configure the stick to be seen as a controller and be seen online as a Thing (using Paper UI)
Once the stick is a thing, I see a ….node…xml file in openhab2-userdata\zwave
I can search, find and add the sensor and get it seen as a thing ( Z-Wave Node 002: ZWA008 Door/Window Sensor 7) and it comes on line.
I can create (in Paper UI) a linked item : ZWaveNode002ZWA008DoorWindowSensor7_BatteryLevel
Should I have a …Node2.xml file now? I don’t
I never see a value for battery in the control/other item panel. I just see a value of -NaN % reported.
I’ve been round the loop many times, cleaning and retrying and never get further.
I’ve woken it up countless times and even left it overnight…
I think I should have a second xml file for the sensor?

I’m happy to post logs or whatever, but I suspect I’ve just missed a stage…

I have seen this in the log :

2020-06-04 08:21:08.464 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Polling…
2020-06-04 08:21:08.466 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Polling deferred until initialisation complete

Any pointers or help appreciated!

Your sensor is most likely a battery operated device. You need to wake up the device several times until the initial communication between the sensor and the controller is finished. It takes some time, be patient :wink:

Refer to the manual how to wake up the device.

Did you include the sensor into the Z-Wave network? It is not recommended to create zwave Things manually due to the high chance of error.

If the device is not discovered at all that usually means it has not been included into the network. That network information is stored on the stick. It determines what the node is value is.

Hi Bruce, Stefan

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have been through the wake-up process with the device, but this doesn’t seem to have an effect.

The sensor device is recognised to the controller (added vie searching ZWave in “Inbox”) within OH paper interface

Z-Wave Node 002: ZWA008 Door/Window Sensor 7

ZWA008 Door/Window Sensor 7
Door/Window Sensor 7

I see strange message in the log, eg :

NODE 2: Device initialisation complete

Then a few minutes later

NODE 2: Polling deferred until initialisation complete

But it says it was complete…

Should I have an xml file for NODE2 ?

Log file attached…

Thanks you all…

brivett.log (423.4 KB)

No xml file until the binding receives the NIF (Node information Frame) from the device. sometimes i have had to delete the Thing from OH (do NOT exclude from the network) and rediscover / add Wake up the device until discovery is complete.

If left too long I have found that sometimes the thread gets orphaned.