ZWave Switches not updating OpenHAB

Shawn, I discovered a workaround. I set up a rule to issue a refresh command to the item every 10 seconds which appears to force openHAB to update. It’s not instantaneous, but it does at least keep it in sync where before I would have to a wait a long time (possibly for the 30 min default polling interval?) for the change to take effect. My rule looks like this:

rule "Refresh Master Bedroom Dimmer"
 when
 	Time cron "10 * * * * ?"
 then
 	 sendCommand(masterBedroomLightDimmer, "REFRESH")
 end

Thanks for the explanation. It helps to know this is a known issue.

Hi,
I am having the exact same issue, I recently switched from a samsung smart things hub to a Raspi Aeon ZStick Gen 5, using 12722 and Leviton / GE switches. I have a motion sensor that is reliably able to send updates but the wall switches send the update <10% of the time. But just like shawnmix , the outbound messages from the controller are very reliable, just the inbound messaging that the switch state has changes is not. The samsung was fairly reliable when it came to this.
I setup the polling rule and that seems to work , given the 10 second delay.

1. Any internal fix on this in the controller to avoid polling?
  2. Did anyone determine a recommendation on US available switches that support associations or HAIL?

You’d want to have switches that have Instant Status, which was until recently a Levitron(certain switches only) thing. There are quite a few switches now that have this.

Only thing you can do with the Jasco/GE switches is poll and hope that they respond fast enough.

Hi All

Not sure if this is a bug or something im doing wrong. Previously when i turned a zwave light switch dimmer to anything more than 0, it would turn the switch item on.

It doesnt do that now.

The switch and dimmer channels are linked to the the channel, but it wont update the switch is on when the dimmer is on

Any thoughts?

You don’t say what version of the binding you are using? Are you using the latest snapshot, or 2.3, or something else? If you’re not on the latest version, then my first comment would to ensure you are :wink:

Im using 2.4 chris and it worked fine on 2.3

Please can you say what version you are using? Is it the latest snapshot or an older 2.4 snapshot? Have you reconfigured everything after the update?

As per the link I posted, there are significant changes.

Hi Chris

im using:

180 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201808271154 │ ZWave Binding

Reconfigured? yes all the items were readded. They ALL work fine except for this little issue. Sw1 doesnt turn on when Dim1 turns on despite the two being linkted to the DImmer channel

I can’t really tell from this if it’s the new version - for sure it’s not the latest snapshot from after the merge though.

I would suggest to exclude and re-include the device and make sure that you are using the correct channels. As explained in the linked post, this can change due to differences in the way the associations are configured. I don’t know if the device you are having problems with has multiple channels or not even - I guess it might as you talk about Sw1 and Dim1, but I’m afraid I can’t find the device you’re using above?

@dastrix80 I don’t know whether or not this will help in your situation, but your issue sounds similar enough to mine that I thought I would report here.

Shortly after @chris merged the development branch of the ZWave binding to master, I upgraded to 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT from a recent, manually installed copy of the development binding. Following that update, I experienced problems similar to those you report, OH was not receiving consistent updates from one device (a Cooper Wiring RF9540-N dimmer) after commands to the dimmer had been issued.

Before the upgrade, I had deleted all ZWave things except the Z-Wave serial controller. I had rediscovered all of my ZWave devices. I then configured each ZWave device, after which I recreated the item-channel links and tested. The RF9540-N dimmer only responded with updates after receiving some commands, like OFF, but when the dimmer was commanded to a specific output level, OH received no corresponding update. I tried deleting, configuring and recreating item-channel links several more times before I found a sequence that worked.

Ultimately the problem was that the default value for the dimmer’s Configuration Parameter 4, Basic Set Value was 1, it should be 0, but setting Configuration Parameter 4 to 0 after having set the Association Groups did not work. I finally found a sequence of device configuration that restored normal operation of the dimmer when I set Basic Set Value to 0 before setting Association Groups 1 and 255 to Controller. My dimmer is now responding to commands with all expected updates.

Good Luck!

Here is another possibly related issue, which affects devices with channels that are not specifically reported by a device, but values were being polled by having Treat as Basic selected. For example, my Leviton devices do not send SCENE_ACTIVATION, but will send a HAIL when manually adjusted. This triggers a poll, and because the channel has Treat as Basic selected, the scene_number value was coming in through the poll. This no longer works, since polling is no longer done for the BASIC CC…

Thanks guys, your information pointed me to the lifeline and basic set commands, essentially it had lost the Controller as the lifeline. Setting this again has fixed the issue!

Well i spoke to soon, its started to happen again. Grrrrr! As far as I know, i just need to link the Dim and Sw to the Item, right?

Im using this version: 2.4.0.201808271154 │ ZWave Binding

If you cant tell what version it is ive got no idea! haha @chris

ive found the zwave github page but I cant see the jar file?

Please can you switch the latest snapshot so that we know exactly what version is being used. Please also provide information on the device you are having trouble with (preferably a link to the database, but otherwise the manufacturer, device type, device id, and firmware version. I’ll probably also need to see a debug log, but let’s start with this first.

Hi Chris

ive just moved to this version

251 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201809081506 │ ZWave Binding

Ill do some test and report. Fibaro DImmer 2 is the Zwave device , FGD212, Firmware 3.5

Cheers

I also need to know the firmware version as there are multiple versions of this device - this will be displayed in the properties.

1 Like

Updated the post. It appears to have fixed the issue based off initial testing