ZWave system for battery powered LED strip

I am in the middle of a remodel. I am putting dimmers on all my lights and want to add a LED light strip in an open cabinet that I want to control to follow the dimmer for some recessed lights. One route I am exploring is to use a battery operated LED strip. My cabinet maker tells me I should go that way as the battery “last for ever” as he puts it. Whether I have to recharge fairly regularly or not is not too big of an issue. But is there a good solution for this? I see the Fibaro RGBW which takes 12/24VDC supply. I found someone stating it can be used with a battery but not stating if they tried it with a battery as the supply and LEDs as the load.
Has anybody tried this device with OpenHAB? With batteries and an LED strip?
Any other device you would recommend?

Lots of people are using it…

Well - it will probably last long enough for you to pay him, but certainly not forever, and probably not very long! :smile:

I would avoid a battery system unless you only have a few LEDs (ie not a strip). LEDs, while efficient, don’t harness magic powers and make batteries last forever unfortunately. A strip of LEDs probably draws about 5W/m (roughly 400mA @ 12v…

http://www.vps-ups.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/p/np7-12lfr.jpg

A battery like the one above has a rating of 7AH at 12v, so you should expect to get a couple of hours from it… I’d just use a 12v power supply…

Chris