Zwave usb-stick offline with RaspberryPi 3 wifi

I’m not able to start adding zwave devices in OH2 with Aeon 5 usb-stick since I’m stucked with this log info after reboot:

2018-10-23 19:52:46.183 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:5c51a62a' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2018-10-23 19:52:46.566 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyAMA0'

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==

2018-10-23 19:52:46.595 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:5c51a62a' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2018-10-23 19:52:46.767 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Serial port is initialized

2018-10-23 19:52:46.888 [INFO ] [mmandclass.ZWaveSecurityCommandClass] - Update networkKey

2018-10-23 19:52:46.969 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller

2018-10-23 19:52:46.980 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

Where I’m wrong, pls?

Please explain in more detail what your problem is.
Increase loglevel (log:set debug org.openhab.binding.zwave in Karaf console) as your log does not show anything relevant to a potential zwave controller malfunction.

Karaf console is seems complicated to be installed for me.

The controller is offline.
I’ve included this

-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyAMA0

in EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS.

In openhabian-config I’ve
Disable serial console
Add common serial ports to openHab JVM
(I cannot Disable Bluetooth module … I don’t know why yet).

1001 times reboot, install, uninstall.

Stop rebooting - that won’t help. Increase debug level as I wrote.
Start Karaf console by running openhab-cli console in shell.
And read the openHABian README and openHAB docs, it’s all in there.

Looking at the last 4 lines,

2018-10-23 19:52:46.980 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

this implies that the stick works normally.

Is the openhab user a member of the dialout group in /etc/group?

No - it has nothing to do with the stick communications. It simply states that these are your settings before the binding starts. I don’t think at this point that there is any communications with the controller.

Yes, it is.

If I’ll be able to read and understand all of the openHab docs then I’ll teach about… not being here asking for help.

The OH docs explain how to get access to Karaf console and how to change logging.
That’s basic stuff we expect anyone to have read before asking for help …

I think it is an USB On the Go (OTG) related issue of Raspberry Pi Zero Wifi. Maybe someone wich have some experience with RPI Zero Wifi could help here. I found a lot of people in this forum stucked with RPI Zero wich simple abandoned to install OH2 on RPI Zero Wifi because of lack of support.

Congratulation! Just say that before any reply and I’ll avoid spending your valuable time in the future. Others may also.

Maybe it’s worth trying a post on a Pi Zero support forum to resolve some of these hardware specific issues? By definition, you’re unlikely to find a lot of support for hardware that is not used very much :wink: .

Thanks for feedback, C. I’ve had a great experience on this forum setting up my RPI2B so I came back for this new approach with RPI Zero. I didn’t realise that not many people avoid RPI Zero board.

I do not personally know if it’s popular, I’m only going by your earlier statement where you said that people were not supported on the RPi Zero. It is clearly going to be very entry level hardware, and if there’s not too many people within the community to support it, then you may need to look elsewhere for the answer…

However - once you find it (hopefully), maybe you can report back and answer all the other questions :smile: . Then we can break the cycle.