ZXT-120 usage

I have a ZXT-120 A/C controller and it is working fine and I now want to move into the termostat configuration. It has Heat Setpoints and Cool Setpoints that are exposed as items - can anyone tell me if these are supposed to be “smart” or they are merely there to write rules with?

Well, not sure what you mean by ‘smart’, but here’s how I have my heat pump set up, maybe it is useful(?);

item file;

Number  GF_Cinema_Heat_Temp         "Vämepump Temp [%.1f]"     (GF_Cinema)           {channel="zwave:device:controller:node58:sensor_temperature"}
Number  GF_Cinema_Heat_Thermostat   "Vämepump mode [%d]"  <temperature> (GF_Cinema)  {channel="zwave:device:controller:node58:thermostat_mode"}
Number  GF_Cinema_Heat_Fan          "Vämepump Fläkt [%d]" <fan_box>     (GF_Cinema)  {channel="zwave:device:controller:node58:thermostat_fanmode"}
Number  GF_Cinema_Heat_SetpointCool "Vämepump KTemp [%d]"      (GF_Cinema)           {channel="zwave:device:controller:node58:thermostat_setpoint_cooling"}
Number  GF_Cinema_Heat_SetpointHeat "Vämepump VTemp [%d]" <heating>     (GF_Cinema)  {channel="zwave:device:controller:node58:thermostat_setpoint_heating"}

Sitemap;

Text item=GF_Cinema_Heat_Temp
Selection item=GF_Cinema_Heat_Thermostat    mappings=[0="Off",1="Heating",2="Cooling",3="Auto",5="Resume",6="Venting",8="Dehumid"]
Selection item=GF_Cinema_Heat_Fan           icon="fan_box" mappings=[0="Auto Low",1="Low", 2="Auto high", 3="High", 4="Auto medium", 5="Medium"]
Setpoint item=GF_Cinema_Heat_SetpointHeat   icon="heating" minValue=16 maxValue=25 step=1

OK I have something similar, but does the heat automatically come on when the temp drops below the heat set point
value or is there a rule driving this?

Yes, if I set either cool or heat set point, the zxt will send this to the heat pump. The ZXT-120 by itself will not do the temp control.
But obviously, with rules, one can do it also, and perhaps a bit more clever.

I was hoping I could use the temp sensor in there to send a command - ie if the item displaying the temperature goes above 26 then send "cool command but the number item never seems to activate a trigger - I can do it off a manual switch so the rule logic works