10th birthday of openHAB - Let's celebrate this

In case you have missed to mark it in your calendar…
openHAB is celebrating its 10th birthday and we should celebrate that.

When? 21.02.2020
Proof: http://kaikreuzer.blogspot.com/2010/02/openhab-is-out.html

(UPDATE)

When? 20.02.2020
Proof: The initial commit in the repo was on February 20, 2010

So think about your special gift for that day today. A song, a picture of your DIY, a cake, a poem or something other special in the relation between you and openHAB.

Let’s do it :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I Am IN

1 Like

Awesome!!!

1 Like

@Kai needs to update the heading on that page :wink:

1 Like

As a little motivation for your gifts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be happy if someone could make a post/presentation here about the beginnings (I’m only a user since a few years ago).
How many people used it that days, how it looked like, how it evolved through time, statistics, etc…
Maybe @Kai? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point. I wasn’t actually aware that this site is still live - the more important post is this one, which refers to openHAB is out! - Kai Kreuzer. But I agree that @luckow’s link is the original one :slight_smile: .

This only proves that I prefer writing code over documentation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Proof: The initial commit in the repo was on February 20, 2010! So get your presents ready for tomorrow already, not for Friday!

I will have some good news on this very soon, stay tuned :sunglasses:.

5 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Happy Birthday! :slight_smile:

Wow! Ten years, and still alive. Congrats!

By the way, here is the original post about Kais great idea!

Translation:
“P.S .: It was already in my head last night that I would rather set up a new project for KNX on current technologies (OSGi / Jetty / Scala?) instead of these Perl scripts. But that probably remains a fantasy, because such a project always needs a community to survive …”

Fortunately, it was not only a fantasy but became reality.

Thanks a lot. @Kai

P.S. And this here is still a great community. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Happy birthday

6 Likes

Ha, thanks for finding that - I wasn’t at all aware anymore of those old discussions at the KNX User Forum! Actually, the timestamp here shows that I secretly started working on that idea less than 3 weeks after that post already.

1 Like

Happy Birthday! :wink:

It is great to see that this initial idea became such a successful project with a very active community! As I only know openHab since 2015 I am really curious to learn more about the history. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

I have to say, @luckow is so far clearly the winner for the nicest birthday present / cake :birthday: :slight_smile:

This is what my wife made this morning:

Anybody else has some piece of openHAB art to share?

5 Likes

Awesome milestone, big congrats to all the devs. Happy Birthday OpenHAB.

1 Like

I just announced our Smart Home Day in May!
On its agenda, there is a retrospective to the early days of openHAB - so just what you ask for :slight_smile: .
If all goes well, the presentations will be recorded, but I nonetheless would recommend everyone to come to the event in person, if time and distance permits!

Late to party, but happy birthday.

(And, numerical dates should be using ISO standards, I think. So should have been 2020-02-20) :slight_smile:

1 Like