3rd Party Bluetooth Binding. Beta testers needed

Great. What kind of adapter you have that is not recognized? Is it Bluegiga (usb/serial) or generic (usb) adapter? I think it is bluegiga, have a look here: https://github.com/sputnikdev/eclipse-smarthome-bluetooth-binding#bluetooth-adapter. You will need to define “regex” expression in the binding setting to enable/autodiscover bluegiga adapters (assuming that you’ve installed bluegiga transport plugin via OH market).

One word about the Nut Mini
its great!!
but one issue… the liner loop holder broke after two weeks of just hanging on my car keys

anyone did a good DIY fix?

Thanks for helping. The regex expression is defined and bluegiga transport plugin is also installed but still the system is not finding the bluetooth adapter, I had ordered the following adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HKILG1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 not sure if this will work or not. Is there a preferred adapter that should work out of the box?

That is the correct Bluegiga device (BLED112). Maybe you need to restart OH after changing the regex. For me that did the trick. After the restart you start a search for new things for the bluetooth binding und choose adapter. Then it should be discovered.

Hi @alijaf, bled112 is the correct one. This might be due to permissions (pi does not have access to serial devices), pls do this:

sudo adduser pi dialout

Don’t forget to reboot your pi.

Another thing is that the Java VM need to know the ports. Just look into this thread Forwarding serial Ports …

Mine has as well, I changed it so that I leave my and my wife’s nut minis in the car now.

My car keys go with me so in effect the nut being on the keyring or just in the car is effectively the same thing…so for me it works.

ya that is what i did also… but now its broken how did you fix it to the key?

I tried that but no luck, something isn’t right and I am posting the logs on another comment.

I am using openhabian and for user openhabian dialout is added. Here are some of the information that I get when I restart Openhab. This might be something that is causing.

2019-05-07 09:52:50.362 [ERROR] [binding.bluetooth.transport.bluegiga] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.sputnikdev.org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.bluetooth.transport.bluegiga
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.sputnikdev.org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.bluetooth.transport.bluegiga [269]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: gnu.io
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1634) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1614) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1585) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1528) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230) [?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340) [?:?]
2019-05-07 09:52:51.048 [WARN ] [oth.internal.BluetoothHandlerFactory] - Extension folder does not exist, ignoring it: /home/pi/.bluetooth_smart

I have spent a lot of time and I just can’t get that bluetooth adapter to be working. Reinstalled the binding etc. followed all the steps to forward the ports etc. Nothing works.
Created a thing in the file and even that doesn’t work.

Bridge bluetooth:bluegiga:1 [ port="/dev/ttyS0", discovery=false ]

Hi @alijaf can you please do this in pi terminal?

sudo -u pi cat /dev/ttyACM0 

?

BTW, why do you use ttyS0 name ? Can you pls run this as well?

ls /dev | grep tty

The first command sudo -u openhabian cat /dev/ttyACM0 doesn’t return anything and it looks like something is just going on and I have to break it o get back on the prompt

The second one returns the following
[15:54:50] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ ls /dev | grep tty
tty
tty0
tty1
tty10
tty11
tty12
tty13
tty14
tty15
tty16
tty17
tty18
tty19
tty2
tty20
tty21
tty22
tty23
tty24
tty25
tty26
tty27
tty28
tty29
tty3
tty30
tty31
tty32
tty33
tty34
tty35
tty36
tty37
tty38
tty39
tty4
tty40
tty41
tty42
tty43
tty44
tty45
tty46
tty47
tty48
tty49
tty5
tty50
tty51
tty52
tty53
tty54
tty55
tty56
tty57
tty58
tty59
tty6
tty60
tty61
tty62
tty63
tty7
tty8
tty9
ttyACM0
ttyAMA0
ttyprintk

Great, this is your serial port: /dev/ttyACM0. Use this in your regex config - (/dev/ttyACM0). You should be able to see a new adapter after that.

Also run this in your karaf console:

openhab> bundle:list | grep sputnikdev

This should list all bluetooth bundles, make sure you have org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.bluetooth.transport.bluegiga listed and it is in Active state.

Still it wasn’t found, can I create this manual entry in things?

Bridge bluetooth:bluegiga:1 [ port="/dev/ttyACM0", discovery=true ]

Can you please run the command I posted above?

I don’t have karaf console. I only use the standard log viewer (frontrail), is there a way to check the status of this from the standard console?

karaf console is a very important component, I recommend you to spend some time and set up access to your karaf console. In fact, all OH installations provide karaf console. Follow this simple guide this will prevent wasting our time: https://www.openhab.org/docs/administration/console.html

Here is the result