64 bit setup on rpi 4?

Just got one rpi 4 with 8gb of memory for Openhab and was wondering if anyone has installed openhab on the new (beta version of) raspberry pi os 64 bit version? I assume that 64 bit should give some overall performance improvements to the server components (db, java, etc.). Has anyone attempted the install on 64 bit and did all the components work? Is there any tweaking required to get a 64 bit JVM?

I think you will still need to use the 32 bit JVM for now.

Why is that? I‘m not using openhabian, but on Windows (and pretty sure on my Debian machine, too), I‘m always using 64-bit Java. Is that related to ARM architecture?

Yes 64 bit on ARM is a recent development and I see that there is a zulu version for 64 bit ARM so I guess nothing in the way of doing a manual install. Just was wondering if all the other other components do survive :grin: since that linux version is still in beta.

1 Like

Yes you can use 64bit Java on ARM but it’s absolutely pointless. It uses more memory and therefore in fact runs a little slower than the 32bit version does.
Performance improvements are of purely theoretical nature, they’re restricted to some math-bound apps like AI or image processing and do not apply to openHAB.

64bit Zulu is available as an option in openHABian menu 45.
There’s also a beta openHABian image with a 64bit kernel at beta Images holgerfriedrich/openhabian
Have fun but I’d save my time on that.

6 Likes

There was a time, and I would guess it’s no longer a problem, that anything binding that connected to serial devices wouldn’t work with 64-bit zulu on an RPi.

1 Like

That is awesome esp since there is already a full openhabian version. According to this site, there are other benefits of running the 64 bit architecture https://hackaday.com/2020/01/28/raspberry-pi-4-benchmarks-32-vs-64-bits/ and it seems like at least anything with encryption will already benefit from it. I’m surprised about the JVM performance - JVM 64 bit on Windows/Linux had better benchmarks than the 32 bit one.

What’s the point in ‘performance’ for a smart home server ? They idle along most of the time.

1 Like

I hear you, most of the time indeed, my setup is idle… Wouldn’t mind if some of the paper UI components would run be a bit faster (I’m running openhab right now on a old RPi 2 :open_mouth:) and same for some of the panel stuff (the zulu implementation is just impressive). Also, I’m using sqlite for persistence right now but with a bit more horsepower, wouldn’t mind running postgresql instead and be able to pull some of the weather data into powerbi for instance. Realize persistence is rarely a CPU bottleneck either but with 8gb as well on RPi, I’m not worried about running more services.

The serial library all bindings use nowadays supports 64-bit ARM systems (nrjavaserial#134 :wink:).
If you’re unlucky, you might run into a binding that uses its own native library that needs to be recompiled for 64-bit ARM support.

There’s also a 64-bit ARM openHAB Docker image. When I tested that on a RPi 3 running a 64-bit OS performance was noticeably worse. Though the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS may have been better optimized.

1 Like

Does it matter, that it is 64bit or that the new 64bit Raspian (Paspberry Pi OS) has more optimazition for Raspberry Pi 4?

I want to use openHAB for controlling my Comfoair350, but on my actuel RP4 (openhabian) the Binding will not show up. It install, yes (V1 openhab / V2 eclipse), but it is not showing up.

So I ask myself if an other OS can fix that Problem. Or if it is a Hardware Problem. From the Base OS, openHABian seems a little outdated (or am I wrong?)

The part that I realy like, is that with an RP you can simply use multiple SD-Card an try different Stuff, without messing with an “Stable System” // Base Settings can be copied.

No it doesn’t.

Your problem may be located in HW or most likely in your OH setup but not in the OS, so no.

Yes and no.
First, it’s irrelevant (at least in terms of automation) … we have people to still and successfully run their OH on a jessie based openHABian (that’s 2 generations older than what the current image is based on).
Second, it’s buster based which is the most current Debian/Raspi OS (ex-Raspbian). You can install the openHABian image and use menu 02 (it does apt-get upgrade), that’ll bring you up to latest which is equivalent to what you can download from raspberrypi.org.
Third, we are finalizing the new image these days. You can already use it, it should work as good as the old one. Link see above.
Fourth, finally: all of that hasn’t got anything to do with 64 or 32 bit. (well except that there is a 64 bit beta image now, too).

2 Likes

@mstormi
thanks for the explanation. I do not know what I have done wrong, because I didn’t made manual changes to OH. Ohter Bindings like TP-Link shows up.

For the moment the Comfoair is not connect so OH is only running on pure RP4, can that be the Problem? But why other Bindings are showing ob without added Things…

I’m not entirely new to Linux, but new to Raspberry Pi and openHAB. Perhaps I need more experience with simpler Things…