7.99 Wyze Bulb

Wyze has just released a Wifi Bulb for 7.99ea or a 4 pack for 29.99.

Did not see any mention of what protocol they might be using or if an API is available.

https://www.wyze.com/wyze-bulb/

Their camera and sensor kit use their cloud service. I would not be surprised if their bulbs do the same. However, they do offer a firmware (though will not promise to keep it updated) to allow their cameras to stream RTSP locally. Maybe they will offer some sort of local control capability on their bulbs at some point.

There is nothing in their FAQ regarding an API. There is a thread requesting an API on their community. https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/api-for-developers/32845. Given these, I doubt it would be possible to integrate these with OH, at least in the short run.

For 8.00 might be worth buying one and sniffing the traffic to see what I can find.

It’s definitely worth the effort. But from what I’ve read about these guys they know what they are doing and they are trying to do it right. I’d be astonished if they are not using encrypted network traffic. But there has been some success reverse engineering the camera API, though those efforts appear to have been abandoned once they released the RTSP capable firmware.

It could be a fund project for someone with the skills and the time.

I just purchased a four-pack of these workout even thinking about the fact that their API might not be open. Doh! I’ve gotten used to OpenHAB being able to control anything.

I did a little digging around, though, and found this reverse engineered control for HA…

I’m no software engineer… Can anyone here take a look and see if the HA code would be able to be repurposed for OpenHAB?

The code couldn’t be used directly by a binding in OH because OH bindings are written in Java, not Python. It would be challenging but potentially not impossible to use this code from Python Rules, but in OH Python Rules are 2.7 and this code was written for Python 3. One could potentially create a series of shell scripts that call this code and then use executeCommandLine or the Exec binding.

For anyone else who’s searching to see if Wyze bulbs can be integrated into an openHAB system: There is a workaround if you have an amazon echo device. Now that the Amazon Echo Control binding can control devices that are connected to alexa, it effectively works as a bridge to allow openHAB to send commands and read states from the Wyze bulbs. It’s still not ideal, and requires all commands to be routed via the alexa service to the wyze service, but it works.

Long story short: If you haven’t bought the Wyze bulbs yet, don’t. At least , not if you want to use them as part of an openHAB system. If you already have them, though, then this is a serviceable workaround.