A minimum of 600 and a maximum of 1 - huh?!

I’ve just installed zwave2mqtt just to see how it all hangs together, quite nifty, I enabled the homeassistant mqtt integration which then made all the zwave nodes appear in the OH inbox as mqtt components with all the parameters. Definitely no where near as refined as the zwave binding in OH but the fact it allowed an unrecognized device straight in and even identified the switch parameter was quite impressive. Also does some pretty nice visuals of the mesh as in how all the devices connect to each other, very nice. I also see that it has the ability to backup the controller config and load it back in too!!!

Playing with it right now and trying to break it, but so far so good. Though at this stage I feel more comfortable with the zwave binding. I’ve noticed that HA users are readily dropping HA’s zwave facility for this zwave2mqtt too.

I would not blame them. Their openzwave based addon is abysmal, especially if you do not live in Europe. That is a big part of what drove me here. They could likely freely make use of our zwave database but then they would need to write & support their own addon.

They must come from the database except for very new devices where this is available from the device.

1 Like

@chris - one ‘feature’ I noticed with zwave2mqtt is that it downloads device config xmls, I’m guessing in effect replicating how the zwave binding relies on the device database. That is I feel a very good function if we can achieve that with our native zwave binding, so rather than an integrated db, just pull down updates as and when requested by user, I’m not really supportive of auto-downloads, as god knows what it can mess up and I like to be in control of when I give the virtual machine internet access (ie updating linux etc).

How does that work on systems with no Internet access? OpenHAB is designed to not need any Internet access after it is installed. That is the purpose of the addons Linux package. Addons can be installed with NO Internet access.

Manual download, they’re in the github repository it seems.
Be it manual or auto, function is the same really as in there is no downtime and no updating addons etc.

Working within the OH framework I guess is a limiting factor for innovation without working around the framework which isn’t ideal. Understood. Though definitely something that would make things a little more ‘smoother’, as in go into CD Jackson, add the device, get it approved, then go in app, click ‘update unrecognized device’ for those who have online uplink or download files via other means and have an upload button alongside giving the offline users the ability to immediately update the config with zero downtime and zero elbow grease. Complexity and time is a buzz killer indeed, that is headache-free usability for you I guess.

*I’ve hit my post limit for today it appears, catch up soon.

This is complex with OH since the OH configuration system relies on reading the XML files in the binding. I could rewrite this so that it doesn’t rely on openHABs internal systems, but that’s quite a bit of work.

1 Like

I figured you already considered that. We appreciate your good judgement.

1 Like

Done.

3 Likes

I just tried the latest snapshot addon, error still appears to be there? unless I’m pulling from the wrong source, or even too early? ( https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB-Distribution/41/ )

How long before the update usually hits a snapshot?

Yes, the change has not made it into the binding:

Database export is done usually at the weekend.

You don’t have to upgrade your openHAB installation, just the zwave binding would also work, either manually or through this script:

I did the update yesterday, but CI had not completed by the time I went to bed last night. I will check this morning and if it’s ok I will merge.

1 Like