A-OK Shutter: AM45 - MQTT, Tuya, Tasmota?

Hi there,

I recently installed new electric shutters in our house. I believed the salesman who claimed the shutters could be easily controlled via phone or LAN.

It turned out, they are not. They are controlled via the Tuya Smart Cloud. Usually Tuya devices can be easily with Tasmota. But I could not find anything about how to flash theses devices. On the other hand flashing would also be just a last resort since I do not want to potentially destroy my blinds.

Does anybody have experience connecting Tuya Wifi Shutters to OpenHAB?
This is the exact device: Motor Tubular AM45 Plus F WIFI® | A-OK Motors®

If it is possible to control them via e.g. MQTT without flashing, would be great.

Thanks for any help!

Alex

That used to be true, but not any more. A few years ago, Tuya started mixing in non-ESP32 chips that are not compatible with Tasmota, and also introduced firmware that prevented OTA flashing.

Try adding this.

After installing the SmartHomeJ marketplace, you can then install the SmarthomeJ Tuya binding and connect to the Tuya cloud. I haven’t used it with blinds, but I’d expect it to work.

Thanks for your tips. I will have a look.

But this solution would still use the cloud? I would very much prefer anything without the Tuya cloud.

You have to use the Tuya cloud to make the devices available to openHAB. Local control will most likely be possible after that, but that isn’t true in every case. After you connect it, deny your blinds Internet access and then see if you can control them.

More information is available on Github.

By the way, if you’re using OH4, the instructions for adding SmarthomeJ to openHAB are slightly different.

It seams as if we are pushing an up hill battle to get our things to integrate into our smart homes.

Without detailed photos of the electronics it is hard to determine if you can even flash the device.

If I had this issue I would probably use there native app and link it to google home. Then try and control that device from openHAB.

I have a workaround to do this, using an OH item to trigger a Google Assistant rule.

Alternatively, there’s the Amazon Echo Control binding.

1 Like