Add things in simple mode

Hi, i just install openhab 3, I decide to add everything form scratch, but i have some devices that have several channel and I get lazy. So I’m, trying to find the option to add things in simple mode like in version 2, but i can’t finde that option. Disappeared or am I very asleep?
Thanks

You are not very asleep.
The simple mode like it was in papr ui has gone.

You can achieve similar results by adding thigns first and then incorporate them in your model.
In the Model view you can generate an equipment from a thing, where you are able to select the needed channels and add some items at once this way.

Semantic Model | openHAB

can give you some starting point.

ok, i will try it, but what i was trying to avoid was to create the channel manually, for examplein the harmony bind when i add a device, whit the simple mode every chanell for every buttong of the device remote was link with an item create manually. So Is was simpler and fastest to add several devices.

Give it a try.

When adding a equipment from the thing in the model area of the new ui the only thing you would have to do is add some checkmarks to the needed channels and provide some semantic class and property if you wan tto profit from semntic tagging features in openHAB.

Those are 2 to 3 clicks per channel.
But you dont have to jump to every channel like it was done in Paper UI.
You can validate, check and configure all channels in a row and then press the “Add” button once.
It’s way faster than maybe known from Paper UI. :slight_smile:

Thats a lot more clicks than in version 2.x.
I Just upgraded to 3.0 and all my items are gone. It will take me hours to add every single item manually with 2-3 clicks per item… :frowning_face:

I have to give the new method a try, but I think I will go back to 2.x. Are there any plans to update 2.x releases in the future?

Only bugfixes, but no new features.

Hey Michael,

Welcome to the Community Board. :slight_smile:

Compared to adding in openHAB 2 Paper UI this by far not more clicks.
You get all available channels from the thing in one page and can define all of them in one run.
In Paper UI you had to click the configuration for every channel on its own.
So you save at least the clicks for navigating from one channel to the next when using the semantic model.

Hi Jerome,
would you mind elaborating on "“adding things and then incorparating them in your model”? Because here’s the thing: Removing the simple mode drastically increases the entry barrier to OH. As for me, I’m using OH just to control my rollershutters because there’s a binding for that proprietary sh*** I have installed in my house. In fact, I am using the REST Api, so I need no model, no locations, no group, no nothing. I just need an item to be able to a) control and b) get the status of the shutters. Simple mode was perfect for that. I am somewhat irritated that it’s gone.
What I have: A thing for the USB-bridge device that communicates with my rollershutters and a thing for each channel of the device. But no items, because my automatically created items were deleted with the update.
What I tried to get items similar to simple mode: In Settings → Model → Creaty from thing but nothing is added. There is no error, it just doesn’t work. So I’m stuck. Yes, I can add items manually, but this is donkey work. It’s ok for my six things but if you have added like 30 items with simple mode before (with no click), adding items manually is definitely more clicks.
I am sure, for power users, things got easier (but those didn’t use simple mode). But for noobs like myself, things have become quite complicated. I mean removing simple mode, ok. I can live with that. But removing items that were created with simple mode when updating is quite frustrating to be honest. Don’t get me wrong: I appreciate all the hard work every dev puts into this projekt and I like OH very much, it seems to be extremely powerful and it’s awesome looking (probably best looking compared to what else is out there). But new users will definitely have a harder time now…

First of all i will share my personal opinion after working in production for some time now:

Yes there are things that still needs improvements and things missing for me too.
A proper bulk creating for similar things/items would be one of them on my list too.

Now to your use case:

Maybe Model is not the right thing for you then. (as you said.)
Model is the way to go, when you want to profit from structuring your stuff on the late game.

What i read from your post is, that you use openHAB only as a “bridge/remote” to your rollershutters.
Not more not less.

So my suggestion for this use case would be:

1. Create the things in UI

Use proper thing names while creating. Not the generated hashes.
Wrong:

Correct:

2. Create the items with item files (odlschool) and vscode extension…

Make one dummy set of the needed items.

Copy that the needed times.
Replace the proper channel names for each rollershutter.
Use those items.

Most important

1. Don’t bother me for this decision, when you decide to go the model way later and need to reinvent everything at some possible point in future

I doubt that on several levels, but that’s not the core of this topic here.

Thanks for reaching out and suggesting workarounds. Yes, indeed, it’s just a bridge to me and I know this is probably a rare use case. I did manage to get my items back and running, now I’m struggling with the API which used to work just fine behind my proxy, but something changed and I still need to figure out what it is. But that looks like it can be solved.

I doubt that on several levels, but that’s not the core of this topic here.

I think by now I understand what you mean: It’s not about the number of initial clicks but the trouble caused later on for decisions that cannot be reverted without re-creating everything. Just like saying: There is an easy way, and there is a right way / just do it right from the beginning.

Thanks again for your help and for contributing to a great project!

1 Like

API needs authtentication in openHAB 3.
You will have to generate a token.
Also you may have to edit your proxy (i assume you use a reverse proxy?!) configuration probably.
It can be configured to pass the token header.

nginx example for a probably already fitting solution:

Thanks for your hint with the authentication. In fact, I had authentication enabled before (which is one reason I deployed OH behind a reverse proxy (I use Traefik, which, unlike Nginx, has never caused trouble for me with headers whatsoever)) and I even set the checkmack in “Settings” → “API Security” → “Allow Basic Authentication” so in theory, things should have worked (which is why I assumed something changed), but turns out my things were offline. Had to unplug and replug the USB device and all worked as expected. Looks like I was trying to fix something that wasn’t broken :slight_smile:

1 Like