Added persistence service disappear / uninstalls after restarting OpenHAB2 service

Recently I made a OpenHAB ( 2.2.0-1) OS platform change from MS Windows to openhabian.

I’m using InfluxDB for persisting usage data, and MapDB for persisting item states for restore at startup

There have been some “bumps on the road” to complete this platform shift. But I’m sure both persistence services have been up running after the shift, but at latest restart of the OpenHAB2 service, I discovered that item states no longer get restored at startup

From the PaperUI ->Add-ons->Persistence I note that it seems MapDB is no longer installed. I did a new install of it by pressing the install button.

I assume this went successfully, because the “install” button changes to “uninstall” after a short while. In the log I note the following events.

2018-04-09 14:48:24.249 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] - Changes to perform:
2018-04-09 14:48:24.251 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   Region: root
2018-04-09 14:48:24.253 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -     Bundles to install:
2018-04-09 14:48:24.255 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -       mvn:org.openhab.persistence/org.openhab.persistence.mapdb/1.11.0
2018-04-09 14:48:24.269 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] - Installing bundles:
2018-04-09 14:48:24.271 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   mvn:org.openhab.persistence/org.openhab.persistence.mapdb/1.11.0
2018-04-09 14:48:24.628 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] - Starting bundles:
2018-04-09 14:48:24.630 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   org.openhab.persistence.mapdb/1.11.0
2018-04-09 14:48:25.154 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - Bundle Considered for SPI providers: org.openhab.persistence.mapdb
2018-04-09 14:48:25.157 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - No 'SPI-Provider' Manifest header. Skipping bundle: org.openhab.persistence.mapdb
2018-04-09 14:48:25.170 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] - Done.
==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2018-04-09 14:48:25.188 [thome.event.ExtensionEvent] - Extension 'persistence-mapdb' has been installed.

Since my purpose with MapDB is restore at startup, I did a restart of the OpenHAB2 service from the command line, to check the expected functionality. I note, that item sates still are not restored. Once again, I’m navigating to PaperUI ->Add-ons->Persistence and note that it seems MapDB is no longer installed again.

Then I removed my MapDB persistence file and did the install once more. I did not expect my item states to be restored any longer since I have removed the MapDB persistence file, however I expect MapDB to be still installed after a OpenHAB2 restart. But again, it seems not installed.

Just to try something out, I chose to install one of the other persistence services (RRD4j). It behaves in the same way, when pressing the install button, the install button changes to uninstall after a short while. But after at OpenHAB2 restart, it seems not to be installed.

The InfluxDB is up running fine.

Some ideas for what I might have done wrong, or what I can do to make it run again?

Thanks’ in advance.

This one is pretty simple (and annoying when you don’t know the behavior of the configuration files yet)…Go to your openhab config directory, services folder, open the addons.cfg file, and add the persistence services you want installed to the persistence line (comma separated). OpenHAB will automatically install addons configured in this file, but also uninstall any addons you manually installed in Paper UI. Basically, you need to only have either the cfg file be your list of addons to keep installed, or keep it commented out and install everything via Paper UI. Config file is preferred for backup/restore reasons.

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply.

Even though I thought I was aware of handling the addons.cfg file, it was exactly the root cause. InfluxDB was specified, but MapDB was missing.

Thanks a lot.

BR O

1 Like