Adding 433Mhz dimmer in Things file

Hi, I’m trying to figure out how to add all my dimmers in a Things file including their Channels. I’m using RFXCom as binding.

Lets just assume that the dimmer is a Lighting2 Actuator and the only channels needed is Command and Dim. Do I even have to config channels if I use a Lighting 2 Actuator or do they come with the type?

I have found parts of the solutions like the syntax:
Thing <binding_id>:<type_id>:<thing_id> "Label" @ "Location" [ <parameters> ]

But can anybody give me a concrete example of how to use the RFXCom with the syntaxt?

Best Regards
Emil

Why don’t you use paperUI?

There are examples in the docs, if you want to use xxx.things file

Esssentialy, you have a Bridge Thing and then define device Things that “belong” to it. The binding makes available channels according to device type, which you can choose to link to Items - or not.

As I have 30-50 units and an excel with their codes, iterating trough it and generation the .things file is super easy. Using the UI manually is slow. And on top of that, I want to learn. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help rossko57!

I have been trying that without success but if it is the right way I will try some more. I thought that the bridge was used when you didn’t have the binding. I don’t like the fact that both the Bridge and the Binding has setting for the usb device, that’s set up for problems :slight_smile:

My initial guess was that the syntax would look something like this:

Thing rfxcom:lighting2:100001.1 “Roof” @ “Livingroom”

No idea what you are on about.
“Binding” is generally used in two senses.
One, to refer to chunk of plug-in openHAB software for a particular technology e.g. RFX
Two, to refer to to setting linking an Item to a particular channel.

You tell the binding software which USB to use in a Bridge thing.

When you link an Item to a channel, you describe the channel with a hierarcal name like bridge:device:channel
Because you might have more than one bridge, and probably more than one device.

Thanks for the clarification of how the different parts intermingle.

Can I add Things to an already existing bridge in the file or do I have to defined a new Bridge together with the Things in the file?

I have to remove the one used in the UI to avoid conflicts it seems ?

A bridge type thing representing a gateway or bus would very often have several child things, representing devices.

Things created from file and from PaperUi will clash if they try to use the same resources.