Adding New Device to Z-Wave Device Database

I am trying to add a new device to the Z-Wave Device database. I got most of the configuration inputted, but I am unable to add/edit command classes and channels on the Endpoints tab. Here is a link to the new device - OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database. I am trying to get the endpoint configuration on the new device similar to the YRL256 device.

Welcome to openHAB.

You need to upload the xml from your userdata/zwave folder, all endpoints will be included then automatically.
Please read the database guide:

1 Like

I did upload the xml from the userdata/zwave folder from OH2. But some of the required command classes were not identified by OH and were not included in the xml.

If you are talking about this device:

there are no channels configured.
I don’t think there are no channels at all in your xml file.

I agree that there are no channels in my XML. Some command classes are also missing based on the documentation. So how do I add the missing command classes and channels?

Usually that comes from the xml file and the source of that data is your device firmware. If classes are missing either discovery was incomplete or the documentation is in error.

1 Like

I removed and repaired the unknown device from OH. I found these entries in the openhab.log.

2021-01-01 14:20:15.723 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller
2021-01-01 14:20:15.723 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.
2021-01-01 14:20:33.875 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 21: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-01-01 14:20:33.875 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing ‘zwave:device:f7802d48:node21’ to inbox.
2021-01-01 14:20:41.957 [INFO ] [alization.ZWaveNodeInitStageAdvancer] - NODE 21: SECURITY_INC State=FAILED, Reason=SECURE_PING
2021-01-01 14:20:57.842 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 21: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 0129:800B:0F00::1.78
2021-01-01 14:22:03.417 [INFO ] [ommandclass.ZWaveVersionCommandClass] - NODE 21: Command Class COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC has version 0!
2021-01-01 14:24:03.415 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 21: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 0129:800B:0F00::1.78

Would any of these explain why the discovery for the unknown device is incomplete?

You need to securely add door locks.
Include through the binding within 15 seconds, don’t remove the stick from the server for inclusion. Reset the device between attempts.
Read the binding docs for more information.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I was able to include the lock device securely. OpenHAB generated a XML file with the complete list of command classes.

Now my question is how to import the new XML into the Z-Wave database - can I import it over my existing database record or do I need to delete the current database record and start over?

You can import it over your existing record if it currently has no Endpoints, I believe.

EDIT: I see it looks like you tried to create them manually. Give me as minute to clean that out.

EDIT2 Endpoint0 has been deleted.

How can I add a new device to the Z-Wave Device database? I can only read this database.

Follow the instructions in the guide & submit a ticket on that site after you have created an account there.
Only people who can follow those instructions (already posted in this thread) are permitted database write access. :wink:

I have already read it and done all steps (these which I could, it means register and create a ticket). When I create a ticket I get error but ticket is created with status new. Maybe I have to wait for changing this ticket to open state and then I will be have access to adding a new device. But now I can only read the database and this is the reason why I ask you for help.

In the meantime I added manually a new device to my OH and everything works well.

Perhaps we need to wake up @chris then.

There’s an issue with the mysql database at the moment which I’m looking in to. This seems to cause tickets not to work properly, and probably some other issues as well.

So it looks like the changes I made yesterday resolved the database issues as far as I can tell. Please create a new ticket and then post here so I can check that it’s working.

Everything is fine now.

I can confirm that everything is working as designed:

• Created an account for the Z-Wave db
  • Asked for write permission to the db
  • Added a new device (Merten 50x4xx Switch Sensor Cover) to the db
  • Asked for a review of the new device
  • Waited for a new snapshot of the Z-Wave binding
  • Updated my Z-Wave binding with the latest snapshot
  • Deleted the Things representing the new device
  • Added the Things again (Z-Wave binding → Scan)

Result:
Now Merten Switch Sensor Covers are supported by OH.

1 Like

That works until developers break backward compatibility of the snapshots. The project lead then says you need to wait for the next stable release. That happened to me earlier with some 700 series devices.

Yes, I know 
 - I’m just a lucky guy joining the OH community at the right time. :slight_smile:

BTW, would it make sense to add a new state “confirmed working@OH-x.y.z” to the Z-Wave db?