Airthings Wave Plus: How to get bluetooth bridge ID

Hello,
I have a Airthings Wave Plus sensor and try to run it with the bluetooth binding airthings

I tried several bluetooth bridge with the ID like bluetooth:bluegiga:adapter1, but it doesn’t work. I get the following error message
grafik

My last try was…

bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1  "UG Hobbyraum Airthings Wave Plus" (bluetooth:bluez:adapter1) [ address="58:93:34:8c:34:84", refreshInterval=300 ]

How do I get my bluetooth bridge ID?

My hardware and openHAB version is

###############################################################################
###############  openhab  #####################################################
##        Ip = 192.168.0.1
##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
##    Kernel = Linux 5.4.72-v7l+
##  Platform = Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
##    Uptime = 0 day(s). 0:1:15
## CPU Usage = 74.04% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
##  CPU Load = 1m: 7.17, 5m: 1.97, 15m: 0.67
##    Memory = Free: 1.29GB (69%), Used: 0.57GB (31%), Total: 1.87GB
##      Swap = Free: 0.00GB (0%), Used: 0.00GB (100%), Total: 0.00GB
##      Root = Free: 70.71GB (25%), Used: 201.52GB (75%), Total: 286.87GB
##   Updates = 1 apt updates available.
##  Sessions = 1 session(s)
## Processes = 167 running processes of 32768 maximum processes

Welcome to            __  _____    ____  _
            ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )(_)___ _____
           / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  / / __ `/ __ \
          / /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ / / /_/ / / / /
          \____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/_/\__,_/_/ /_/
              /_/
                  openHAB 2.5.10-1 (Release Build)

Thanks

Is there nobody who knows how I can read out my bluetooth bridge ID?

Hey there. I just received my Airthings today and am also having trouble setting it up. Ill keep you posted as how I make out.

Seems likes there are a few tools to try. rfkill, bluetoothctl and hcitool. (All terminal commands so you’ll have to SSH in).

Hi Chris,
had you found a solution for how to setup the bluetooth bridge?

btw…
Wish you and all readers a good and healthy new year :slight_smile:

Hello and Happy New Year,

I am getting closer (I’m still a novice with openhab, but I slowly pick away at it). But here’s where I am at in case it is helpful. Hardware wise, I am using Openhabian on a Raspberry Pi 3B, networked via ethernet, an Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 and using the PI’s built in bluetooth. I have a brand new Airthings Wave+.

I added the following to my .things file.

Bridge bluetooth:bluez:hci0 [ address=“your-bluetooth-MAC”, backgroundDiscovery=false ]

bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1 “Airthings Wave Plus Sensor 1” (bluetooth:bluez:hci0) [ address=“your-airthings-MAC”, refreshInterval=300 ]

Number:Temperature temperature “Temperature [%.1f %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:temperature” }
Number:Dimensionless humidity “Humidity [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:humidity” }
Number:Pressure pressure “Air Pressure [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:pressure” }
Number:Dimensionless co2 “CO2 level [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:co2” }
Number:Dimensionless tvoc “TVOC level [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:tvoc” }
Number:Density radon_st_avg “Radon short term average level [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:radon_st_avg” }
Number:Density radon_lt_avg “Radon long term average level [%d %unit%]” { channel=“bluetooth:airthings_wave_plus:adapter1:sensor1:radon_lt_avg” }

Under openhab 2.5 this gave me initialization errors in Paper UI, so I decided to upgrade to openhab 3.0 before going further, and after the upgrade both my bridge and Airthings sensors are online, but all of my Airthings sensors give a data reading of NULL.

To find the MAC addresses, I SSH’d in and confirmed bluetooth is unblocked and my device name using “rfkill”

Next I used “hcitool dev” to get my bluetooth MAC

Lastly I used “bluetoothctl” then “lescan on” to get the Airthings MAC

Hope that helps. I’ll keep this thread updated as I make some progress.

Hello again. I have succeeded!

I ended up doing a clean install of openhabian 3 since my UI broke during an update.

Using the openhab 3 UI, it listed three bridges under the Bluetooth binding, which I chose bluez, since this seems to be the default for Linux systems.

The bluetooth binding was able to scan for the Airthings when it was woken up (wave in front of the Airthings) and then pair it automatically. Immediately,I could select all the channels, but got NULL for every sensor except the RSSI. The trick was then to disconnect my Airthings Wave+ from the Airthings app; immediately I got all the readings in openHAB.

If you’re on the fence about openHAB 3, the new UI makes it very easy to use radon levels (or any Airthings sensor data) as a condition in my openHAB rules which is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

2 Likes

thanks for your instructions. I used find_wave.py to get the MAC address. See https://www.airthings.com/resources/raspberry-pi

I can confirm that it works. After installing OH3 on my Raspberry pi 4 and adding a bluetooth bridge in OH3 things the Airthings Wave was found and sending the data.

Hello. I’m glad everyone is having success.

After about a month, my Airthings+ disconnected on its own. Eventually I decided to make it a trusted device using blutetoothctl and it’s been working properly since.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.