Alarm doesn't work on Homeseer EZMultiPli Multi Sensor (HSM200)

I have tried both the stable and 2.4-0 M4 unstable release trying to get the alarm on this to work. The light actually works pretty darn well now on 2.4 (couldn’t get it to work on 2.2).

Would I expect the alarm to show up in the paperUI control?

I’m also tried to create a Contact item manually but it doesn’t seem to change the status.

I also notice nothing shows up in the /var/log/openhab2/events.log so that’s probaby a sign the alarm isn’t triggering yeah?

Not necessarily, PaperUI is for configuration not for control. Create a sitemap and use BasicUI for control.

Is the alarm configured via PaperUI and have a channel linked?

Do you mean there is nothing showing in the control panel, or, the alarm item is showing, but it just doesn’t change state?

You can’t really conclude that from the event log. Please enable the ZWave debug log so you can see what is received and if the binding is decoding the data correctly.

Also check that the associations are set - this is the normal reason for devices not reporting state updates.

I have this as an item

Switch ez_alarm "EZMultiPli Alarm" <alarm> {channel="zwave:device:512:node5:alarm_general"}

and this as a basic sitemap for testing

sitemap demo label="Test setup"
{
  Switch item=ez_alarm icon="alarm"
}

I believe so, although I’m likely messing something up as I’m new to openhab and haven’t played with items/bindings extensively. Do they look reasonable? Would one expect if I walk in from of the PIR sensor it should turn on the alarm?

there is “Alarm” but as far as I can tell nothing beside it. The two sensors (temperature and luminance) report values and I can change the bulb color and turn it on/off.

ok, think I have zwave log in debug mode on log:set debug org.openhab.binding.zwave. I do see some promising stuff (sorry, not sure why my console output centers the text)

17:06:29.762 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
                                                                                 17:06:29.763 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: resetResendCount initComplete=true isDead=false
                                                                                 17:06:29.763 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM, endpoint 0
                                                                                        17:06:29.763 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: SECURITY not supported
                                                               17:06:29.764 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 5: Received COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM V8 NOTIFICATION_REPORT
                                                                   17:06:29.764 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveAlarmCommandClass] - NODE 5: NOTIFICATION report - 0 = 0, event=7, status=255, plen=3
                                                                            17:06:29.764 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveAlarmCommandClass] - NODE 5: Alarm Type = BURGLAR (0)
                                                     17:06:29.764 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveAlarmValueEvent
                                                            17:06:29.765 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM, value = 255
                                                                                                                  17:06:29.765 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter processing NOTIFICATION
                                                                                                          17:06:29.765 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter NOTIFICATION event is 7, type OnOffType
                                                                                                                  17:06:29.765 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter NOTIFICATION event is 7, channel alarm_general is not implemented.
                               17:06:29.766 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Commands processed 1.
     17:06:29.766 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@6e084567.
                                                     17:06:29.766 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
                                               17:06:29.767 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0

Would I expect the alarm button to change color in the UI or have some sort of indication the alarm was triggered?

Please can you provide the log that you see around the time the alarm is triggered. I’m not sure what this that you have provided below.

watching the log, this is the new stuff I get when I wave my hand in front of the dome. One thing that is interesting is I can only get it to work once after power on.

12:14:42.262 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - zwave_serial_zstick_512_serial_sof changed from 1999 to 2000
                        12:14:42.264 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - processReceiveMessage input 0<>128 : Message: class=ApplicationCommandHandler[4], type=Request[0], dest=5, callback=0, payload=00 05 0C 71 05 00 00 00 FF 07 07 03 77 06 00 
                   12:14:42.265 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Received msg (0): Message: class=ApplicationCommandHandler[4], type=Request[0], dest=5, callback=0, payload=00 05 0C 71 05 00 00 00 FF 07 07 03 77 06 00 
                                                                           12:14:42.265 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - lastTransaction null
                                                                              12:14:42.266 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
                             12:14:42.266 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: resetResendCount initComplete=true isDead=false
                                                                   12:14:42.267 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM, endpoint 0
                                12:14:42.267 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 5: SECURITY not supported
                                             12:14:42.268 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 5: Received COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM V8 NOTIFICATION_REPORT
       12:14:42.268 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveAlarmCommandClass] - NODE 5: NOTIFICATION report - 0 = 0, event=7, status=255, plen=3
                                                      12:14:42.269 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveAlarmCommandClass] - NODE 5: Alarm Type = BURGLAR (0)
                                                                     12:14:42.269 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveAlarmValueEvent
                                  12:14:42.270 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 5: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM, value = 255
                                              12:14:42.270 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter processing NOTIFICATION
                                                                            12:14:42.270 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter NOTIFICATION event is 7, type OnOffType
                                          12:14:42.270 [DEBUG] [nternal.converter.ZWaveAlarmConverter] - NODE 5: Alarm converter NOTIFICATION event is 7, channel alarm_general is not implemented.
                                   12:14:42.271 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Commands processed 1.
                                               12:14:42.271 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 5: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@6fd1cf65.
                                                     12:14:42.271 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
     12:14:42.271 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
                                     12:14:42.271 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - ZWaveReceiveThread queue empty
                                                  12:14:42.272 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction SendNextMessage 0 out at start. Holdoff false.

Thanks - that’s useful.

I’ll do an update to the database in a few days to fix this. You will need to delete the thing and add it back once the binding is updated so that your system uses the latest definition.

Note that when pasting logs, please try and use code fences, or simply paste the log, highlight, and click the </> button. I’m not sure how you’ve managed to format it, but it’s about the most difficult to read you can make it :wink:

wow, thanks for looking into this. I’m very appreciative.

Unfortunately, I did use code fences. I agree the log output is really difficult to read. I have no idea what is wrong as it looks no better on my ssh console. It seems to be adding additional spaces on each newline. I would love to fix this as it’s driving me nuts but didn’t want to piggyback the post. I’ll try today to figure out what is wrong.

@chris sorry to ask a probably very dumb question, but is the idea that the HSM200 is not found in I believe your database the reason it’s not getting picked up properly in OpenHAB?
Once I can find the HSM200 here https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave and (from reading other posts) then I should pull a nightly build of OpenHAB then I should be good?

yes, if a device is not in the database, then the binding wont work properly with the device.

Yes - normally it will be a day or two after the device is added to the database before it’s added to the binding.