Alexa does not show any items

Hi,

I actually despair of getting items switched by alexa voice commands.

I connected to myopenhab und exposing items works, they appear in myopenhab.
I installed alexa’s openhab skill and connected the application to myopenhab.

Now I created a test-switch-item via items-file that is linked to a lighting and I exposed this item to the openhab cloud:

Switch alexa_eg_essen "Esstisch" <light> (testgruppe) [ "Lighting" ]

The switch can be controlled via paperui control and the light goes and off…

The Switch is registered with the correct tag I think, rest-api shows this result:

{
  "link": "http://192.168.188.190:8080/rest/items/alexa_eg_essen",
  "state": "ON",
  "stateDescription": {
    "readOnly": false,
    "options": []
  },
  "type": "Switch",
  "name": "alexa_eg_essen",
  "label": "Esstisch",
  "category": "light",
  "tags": [
    "Lighting"
  ],
  "groupNames": [
    "testgruppe"
  ]
}

But whenever I search in alexa’s app for smarthome devices no device is shown.

Any hint what might went wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Florian

Actually Alexa Smart Home Skill - No devices found - Solution helped me.
I found that there was another item that had to much and wrong tags. deleting these tags of the other item made it and the switch is now accessible via alexa.
quite tricky to get this work…

1 Like

Anyone know how to debug this? I have followed: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-alexa The skill shows up, but does not find any devices. I ran tcpdump and see packets from aws hitting my server, but they are https so can’t see much. Is there any debugging I can turn on in openHAB?

Found the error by copying my config files over file by file until I found the file with the error, it was then easier to find the error (missing description). Anyway, there has got to be a better way to find errors like this. I have 1226 items making it almost a haystack.

@sipvoip

AFAIK when using https://github.com/openhab/openhab-alexa you query to local REST API for your taged items.

You can see them here:

http(s)://yourOpenhabIP:port/rest/items

Then search this site for the word: tags":["

In this search hit line, look on the left side if there is a label. If it’s missing, you have to check your .items configuration. Or get rid the line anyhow.

Most problems causing is the “simple item linking”.

See also here: