Alexa -> Harmony Hub

Hi, I have an issue with the Harmony Hub and/or Alexa…

I created an item to the Harmony Device “Apple TV” in my config:
Switch AppleTV “Apple TV Wohnzimmer” [ “Switchable” ] {channel="harmonyhub:device:Media:44202781:buttonPress}

(Before I made erverything over the paper UI, so I am not very familiar with the config.)

If I tell Alexa to turn on the “Apple TV Wohnzimmer” she answers “OK” but nothing happens…
The Harmony discovers the “Apple TV” as a light, and wants to handle it like a that. (In Harmony App Color Changing). Even if I press the ON button in the harmony app nothing happens…

I’ve read the harmony Tutorial but I am lost. Perhaps I did something wrong at the beginning as I linked the things / Items with Paper UI?

Thats how it looks like…

The item:

…and there is another item?!:

@sinthom I’m not familiar with Alexa, but with Harmony Hub.

But your “Apple TV” should NOT be a LIGHT.

here are the steps (without Alexa):

1.Add your device “Apple TV” to Harmony Hub.
2.Add an action e.g. “Apple TV sehen” to Harmony Hub.

all steps see here:
https://support.myharmony.com/de-us/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv

Be sure that your device “Apple TV” or your new action “Apple TV sehen” are running with your “Harmony App” or your Harmony remote control.

3.Detect your new device “Apple TV” with OpenHAB (Paper UI). Should be detected AUTOMATICALLY.

Now you have the choice: you can run the ‘action’ you created in Harmony Hub configuration (in step 2), e.g. “Apple TV sehen” or you can press a special button on your Harmony Hub device “Apple TV”.

All available “buttons” can be detected with REST API. http://YourServerIP:8080/rest/channel-types. Search the JSON for “harmonyhub:device”.

If you use item file:

String HarmonyWohnzimmerAktivitaet              "Aktivitaet [%s]"      (gMain) { channel="harmonyhub:hub:GreatRoom:activity" }
  String HarmonyWohnzimmerAppleTV                 "AppleTV Button Press" (gMain) { channel="harmonyhub:device:GreatRoom:29529817:buttonPress" }

sitemap file:

sitemap demo label="Main Menu" {
    Frame  {
            Switch item=HarmonyWohnzimmerAktivitaet mappings=[PowerOff="PowerOff", "Apple TV sehen"="Apple TV sehen", NETFLIX="NETFLIX"]
            Switch item=HarmonyWohnzimmerAppleTV mappings=["Volume Up"="Volume Up","Volume Down"="Volume Down"]
    }
  }

How to link these above items via PaperUI you should know better than me, I don’t use PaperUI to link items…

After this, your “Alexa” has to be configured.

Hi,

I’ll use this thread again because it exactly handle my question.

I use the harmony hub binding. Added devices in my harmony app and added those as thing in openhab. I’m able to control the IR devices via paperui control / habpanel. but I’m still unable to use alexa voice recognitation with my config.

current item is looking like this:

String Fernbedienung "Fernbedienung" <Remote> (Receiver) ["Switchable"] {channel="harmonyhub:device:HarmonyHub:53175508:buttonPress"}

what I’m missing?

Hi @DubZ,

you have to create a dummy-switch and a rule.

.items:

String Fernbedienung "Fernbedienung" <Remote> (Receiver) {channel="harmonyhub:device:HarmonyHub:53175508:buttonPress"}
Switch Fernbedienung_Alexa "Fernbedienung Alexa" ["Switchable"] 

.rules:

// Fernbedienung via Alexa
rule "Fernbedienung_Alexa"
when
	Item Fernbedienung_Alexa received command
then 
	switch(receivedCommand)
	{
		case ON : Fernbedienung.sendCommand("ON")
		case OFF : Fernbedienung.sendCommand("OFF")
	}
end

The “ON” and “OFF” after .sendCommand are the string-commands. They could differ. You have to find out, which string to put in.

Best regards,
Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex,

thx for your input. I feel that it’s slowly going forward with this topic … :slight_smile:

so what I did currently:

String DenonAVR "DenonAVR" <Remote> (Receiver) ["Switchable"] {channel="harmonyhub:device:HarmonyHub:53175508:buttonPress"}
Switch Fernbedienung "Fernbedienung" ["Switchable"] 

and

rule "Fernbedienung"
when
	Item Fernbedienung received command
then 
	switch(receivedCommand)
	{
		case ON : DenonAVR.sendCommand("PowerOn")
		case VolumeUp : DenonAVR.sendCommand("VolumeUp")
		case OFF : DenonAVR.sendCommand("PowerOff")
	}
end

when I say “Fernbedienung einschalten/ausschalten” then the Denon AVR goes on/off.

But when I say “Fernbedienung lauter”(louder) then alexa say, that Fernbedienung does not support this. Similar when I say Fernbedienung Volume Up. At this point, alexa stops with a beep and doesnt give any feedback. Also it seems that the received Command is already translated from openhab or alexa because e.g. “case einschalten” instead of “case ON” doesnt work. the function seems to be very limited.

any idea?

1 Like

Hi @DubZ,

You can loose the [“Switchable”] in the String item.

“Lauter” / “Leiser” won´t be recogniced by alexa. Try using “Hoch” / “Runter”, With another rule it could work. I am using something like this with my rollershutters. Here is my instruction, how i did that: CLICK.

Best regards,
Alex

EDIT:

This rule could work:

rule "Fernbedienung"
when
	Item Fernbedienung received command
then 
	switch(receivedCommand)
	{
		case ON : DenonAVR.sendCommand("PowerOn")
		case 0 : DenonAVR.sendCommand("VolumeDown")
		case 25 : DenonAVR.sendCommand("VolumeUp")
		case OFF : DenonAVR.sendCommand("PowerOff")
	}
end

Hi Alex,

yes this does work. But nevertheless this is not a way I will go. I dont understand why this is so hard (for me?) to implement alexa + logitech harmony the way I want to (well… normally I dont need openhab for this but without openhab I’m not able/I’m to stupid to use alexa + logitech harmony hub with the default harmony skill).

Hmhmhm…

Hi @DubZ,

you could try the Yonomi Skill. There are many people who prefer this skill over the harmony-hub one.

Best regards,
Alex