Alexa Smart Home Skill V3 is now live!

Could you trigger a discovery request followed by a command to control one of your existing devices and provided me with the device name and the region you are located in? I will try to check the skill logs.

Did discovery at 10:15 AM US Central Time. Triggered switch “BathroomLights” afterwords.

I checked the skill logs for the US region and didn’t find any requests for “BathroomLights” item name for the time frame you provided. Is this the actual OH item name of the device you tried to trigger?

Might be also be “gBALights” the other item I have tagged.

I found your requests and there are no errors with your discovery response that I can see. So, it’s probably a configuration issue.

Keep in mind that groups tagged in v3 will prevent items tagged with the same capabilities part of that group from being discovered if the group isn’t configured with an item type (group endpoint vs standard group device)

Edit:
Got it working

Added the category DOOR to the tag {alexa=“Switchable” [category=“DOOR”]}

Working now.

@jeeshab, thank you very much for all of your efforts! I’ve setup the skill but Alexa is only discovering 8 Items and none of them are responding to commands. I have used hueemulation (a pre-2.4 version before it was mangled) for a long time now and it works well. I have uninstalled this. The 8 devices are showing as connected to a Hue hub and show as Philips Hue White Light. I have had Alexa forget all of the devices several times.

I have ~86 tagged Items. I’ve gone through and setup v3 metadata for all of them, and I added in metadata to some more, hoping to get Alexa-enabled groups working. In total, I have 1681 Items defined in OH. I’m currently running S1685. Could you please look in the log to see if you can spot any errors?

Hello,
I have two problems since v3 skill was updated:

1. I have one sonoff attached to the normally open switch of an automated gate. Before when I say “alexa open the gate” it was working. Now Not works anymore.
    It says “gate open function does not support that” (In italian).
    Sonoff is connected via MQTT and I configured as {channel="mqtt channel",alexa="PowerController.powerState"}
    The only way is to say “Alexa turn on the gate” 0_o no sense to hear…

2. before I had [currentHumidity] sensors tagged, now humidity is not avaible anymore. How can update tags?

Thank you for support

Are you sure that these devices aren’t linked to the Philips Hue Alexa skill? If you look at your Alexa device console, these devices should have their relevant OH item type and name listed below (e.g. “Dimmer Light via openHAB”)

Since you mentioned you had a lot of items defined in OH, I am more inclined to say that the discovery process may not be able to complete in time. Have you checked the updated REST API call I mentioned previously and see if you get a response within 8 seconds?

We had to decrease the log level for the time being due to the amount of logs that were generated since we deployed v3. I am currently working on streamlining the standard log level to include the necessary information to troubleshoot common issues. This means at this time, we haven’t much logs to look at anymore.

1 Like

That’s where I found Philips Hue White Light (these are OH Items and I have no other smarthome skills)…

I was thinking that was likely… but I thought that was now resolved and I got 8 Items. I figured if 8 Items showed up, the call must have completed, so I did not check the links. I get a 504 (Gateway Time-Out) for both links.

I am actually surprised that you were able to use the “open” utterance the way you mentioned. The Alexa reference documentation doesn’t include that support for PowerController. Looking at this Amazon developer forum post, it seemed that it might have been somehow supported a while back.

One workaround to this would be to use Alexa routines that would change the state of the switch based on the utterances you want to use.

This tag was never supported with Alexa (Only with Apple HomeKit or Google Assistant). The main reason is that this function is not available in the Alexa Smart Home API as of yet.

If you want to be able to ask for the humidity level, I believe that if you configured a dummy virtual device as PercentageController.percentage and set the item sensor to your humidity device. That way you should be able to get the current state back. I haven’t tested that scenario so I am not 100% sure if it would work. The virtual device would just discard any percentage commands that may have been requested by mistake since the sensor is obviously read-only.

Dimmer humidityAlexa "Humidity Sensor" {alexa="PercentageController.percentage" [itemSensor="humiditySensor"], autoupdate=false}
Dimmer humiditySensor {channel="..."}

These are definitely coming from the Philips Hue skill and are not the device discovered from OH. You should check your skills and make sure that the Philips Hue skill is disabled and after that, you should delete these devices.

This means that your server isn’t accessible via the myopenhab cloud connector service, preventing the skill from getting your items configuration during the discovery process.

1 Like

I only have the openHAB skill. I disabled it, deleted all devices, rediscovered and nothing was discovered. Reenabled the OH skill, rediscovered, and these Items came up. No Hue skill. The hueemulation binding is also not installed (confirmed).

I have only ever setup the cloud connector for notifications. By setting this to notifications and remote access (note, I do not have any Items exposed to the cloud service), I no longer get the 504 and 117 devices were discovered and they are functioning! And I even got “Turn off the TV” working! Wahoo… thank you!

BTW, the Philips Hue White Light Items are still in there too.

:+1:

It looks like these are directly coming from your Hue hub. It seems that you may need to revoke the access token on your hub to prevent Alexa from rediscovering these devices.

We don’t have a Hue hub… currently, just OH and the Alexa skill.

I have noticed that when setting the desired thermostat target temperature (python managed thermostat for shower water temperature), the echo will now respond “I can only set the temperature between 10 and 32”. I had not set the range before, but now it seems that Alexa is actually enforcing the default range of 10-32 degrees. Can someone point me in the right direction to set the setpointRange metdata for the thermostat TargetTemperature? Can this be set using PaperUI or the REST API? Thank you!

The setpointRange metadata parameter can be customized as below:

Number TargetTemperature "Target Temperature [%.1f °C]" {alexa="ThermostatController.targetSetpoint" [setpointRange="<minValue>:<maxValue>"]}
1 Like

Thanks Jeremy,
I had worked out that I could set it up in an items file, however, since moving to OpenHAB 2 I’ve tried to configure most things with PaperUI and so used REST to add tags. Is there a way to edit the setpointRange without the item in an items file (or at least remove the default restrictions of 10 - 32) - Alexa was very happy to set my shower temperature to 44 before the update. Thanks again.

I haven’t used it myself but there is an endpoint in the REST API to add metadata to a given item. The namespace in that call would be alexa and the body {"value": "ThermostatController.targetSetpoint", "config": {"setpointRange": "<minValue>:<maxValue>"}}

Unfortunately, the restriction was imposed by Amazon during the skill certification since the Alexa API accepts any temperature requests. The default setpoints range is based on the standard temperature range used with a cooling/heating thermostat. Not having that restriction could be dangerous in some cases especially in yours where your shower temperature could be set by mistake to a high or low value (e.g. your request for 40 degrees could be easily understood as 14 by Alexa)

Thank you Jeremy,

That worked perfectly. Yes, I can see the reason behind requiring a thermostat range for safety’s sake. I like the new skill metadata use (as opposed to the tags) and its extra features. Thanks again, the below curl command successfully added the metadata and I am once again able to use the alexa skill to control my shower temperature. Brilliant!

curl -X PUT --header "Content-Type: application/json" --header "Accept: application/json" -d "{\"value\": \"ThermostatController.targetSetpoint\", \"config\": {\"setpointRange\": \"10:50\"}}
" "http://myserverip:8080/rest/items/Shower_Ideal_Temp/metadata/alexa"
1 Like