All kinds of serious errors after backup and restore

I have OH running happily on a RPi with openhabian (details below) but want to update to the latest stable version. On several occasions I have tried using openhab-config to update openhabian and OH but every time the update results in an unresponsive system that I’ve been unable to fix.

So instead I have gone back to my good copy of the live install, done an openHAB backup and copied the backup off the device. I then did a completely fresh install on a new SD card of openhabian and went through the basic openhab-config to set passwords, etc. I then copied across the backup and used the OH restore utility to resinstate it all.

During the restore I received a warning that the new configuration would belong to user ‘openhab’ - rather than ‘openhabian’. Not sure if that would be an issue, I went back to the openhab-config and used option 14 - ‘fix permissions’ which reported every time that ‘openhab’ and ‘openhabian’ were both members of all the different groups.

The restore was partly successful: several of my bindings, things, HABpanel configurations, etc. are in place. Tradfri gateway and smart lights are working fine. However zwave and other devices aren’t working. In the log viewer I received several errors :

[ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-binding-gpio, openhab-action-mail, openhab-misc-restdocs, openhab-binding-mqtt1’

In the PaperUI I can see the z-wave controller keeps going online and offline again. In the log viewer I’m seeing:
[INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port ‘/dev/ttyACM0’
[INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Serial port is initialized
then about 15 seconds later:
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:3de03b5f’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to ONLINE

I’m wondering if I’ve misunderstood what the backup can and cannot do. Do I need to manually install bindings? Or do I need to do some Raspi-specific reconfiguration?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V1.1
    • OS: openhabian - new install uses openhabian V1.5; used openhab-config to update everything to latest stable
    • openHAB version: was 2.2.0-1. New install was updated to latest stable.

Please can you help me work out the best way of resolving this?

Phil

What do you mean by “the” backup? openhab-cli backup/restore ?
That’ll backup/restore your OH config but it does not fix your OH setup so if you e.g. run a different OH version then your problems likely originate from the OH upgrade you in fact ran.
If you really have been running OH2.2 that was ancient and many things happened along the upgrade path. One thing for example was the need to delete and recreate zwave things when moving to 2.4.
It’s all in the docs and the forum. Please search those with a focus on the OH upgrade, i.e. look for release notes, upgrade problem posts and so on.

That’s really useful insight, thanks.

Here’s a link for the upgrade info: