All my Charts are empty and Analyzing Items return nothing

Hi,
I recently updated my Openhabian from 2.5 to 3. I really like the new Website but I feel like I have to learn everything from scratch again (And I was just getting used to the 2.5 GUI).

But my reason for making this post is something different. I have the used RRD4j in OH2.5 to create Charts of multiple MQTT Temperature Sensors. But when I try to make the same in OH3, the Charts remain empty. Is there some settings I am missing or does my changes made in 2.5 (Creating a Persistence) interfere with the OH3 Features.

Have you created a persist file for rrd4j or are you using the new Oh3 feature w/o any config?

Is rr4dj set as default persistence service?

Can you check if the values are persisted at all?

Have you created a persist file for rrd4j or are you using the new Oh3 feature w/o any config?

I created a rrd4j persistence in OH 2.5 and it worked fine. The Contents are:

Strategies {
    everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
    default = everyChange
}
Items {
    RRD4J* : strategy = everyChange, everyMinute
}

Is rr4dj set as default persistence service?

Yes, it is.

Can you check if the values are persisted at all?

It seems that there are no persistance files are created/updated.

So I guess you have a group item with ID = RRD4J and all items you want to persist are member of this group, right?

The rrd4j.persist file looks good

If you don’t see any files at userdata/persistence/rrd4j/ there is something wrong with rrd4j persistence itself. Normally you should have a file called <itemname>.rrd for all persisted items in this folder. Is the folder itself there?

I figured it out myself. I removed the rrd4j.persist and suddenly the Charts started filling with Data.

So, right now I have no persist file and it works just fine.

1 Like

I just had a weird problem with rrd4j where all the graphs defined from a sitemap were empty, but the rrdj4 files in userdata were clearly being updated. This happened both in basicUI and in the android and IOS apps, so I don’t think it is a UI issue. Just restarting openhab fixed the issue, so I think there may be a bug someplace. No data was lost, it was just that all Graphs in the sitemap were empty. I think also that mapdb wasn’t working correctly because some of the switches that control settings didn’t seem to init to a value, so maybe it’s not rrd4j specific. In my case I kept the rrd4j.persist files.