Almost there

openHAB - check
Wemo Binding and plugs seen (well… other than typically WEMO annoyances - check)
WiFi bulbs - check
Samsung TV - check
NOW, Sonoff USB 3 Plus v2 - Check
Sonoff Plug - Check

Next step - Echo / Alexa. It LOOKS like this is “simply” to a myopenHAB.org cloud instance and then add the Echo Skill for openHAB? and pull all the devices from Echo and put them here instead so I can actually DO stuff with them?

I know you’re excited, but we generally ask for titles to be specific to the topics so that others can get a sense of what’s being asked/discussed. :wink:

openHAB won’t expose devices to Alexa unless you add metadata to them. So, you only need to do that for devices that you want to directly control with Alexa commands.

In addition, you can expose proxy items (that don’t have physical counterparts) to Alexa purely to trigger openHAB rules.

I think @jp1955 wants to add devices that were previously only controlled by Echo, into Openhab. I think that’s possible, maybe, but I have never done it that way. All my things are linked to openhab first, and then shared to Alexa.

Currently for Echo devices, it seems that the openhab binding is lagging behind. I would suggest you use the SmartHome/J amazonechocontrol binding instead. I am not sure of the official instructions on how to install it but hopefully this instructions can work for you:

The only devices coming off Echo are I hope the Phillips bulbs. Everything will be new devices.

The only things on echo are the bulbs, WEMO switches (being replaced by sonoff zigbee on my new dongle), and the residio thermostat.

So, if I can do the switches, bulbs, and new temp sensors (sonoff zigbee) here and voice control from Alexa I’m thrilled! Main control will be here.

Hopefully I can create persistent (go forever) schedules here with some addin or something.

I would suggest:

• Unlink them all off Echo
  • Add them directly to openhab using either the Zigbee binding or zigbee2mqtt. You’d need to get a USB zigbee dongle and re-pair them to the new dongle
  • Then from openhab, present them to Alexa. You’ll see them as openhab devices in Alexa regardless of whether they are Philips Hue / Wemo / whatever.

This assumes of course that you’re fully committed to openhab. If you’re just dabbling for now, and would rather keep them all with alexa, then don’t do the above… :slight_smile:

Note that openHAB will only poll Echo every ten minutes, so there will be a delay when those devices change. I believe that commands sent to Echo devices are immediate, but I’m not 100% certain about that.

5 years ago? Not so committed. But things have come a long way in 5 years. I am totally committed now. Alex will simply be my voice interface.
Although Alexa/Echo may be a bit more (less techy?) user friendly to add a skill or device, it is way too restrictive to scripting, etc. Doing what I want. Which includes my own UI.
So - indeed. I will be unlinking all from Alexa and using openHAB as my root of all things.
Tonight, I unlink the remaining WEMO’s (actually replace with Sonoff’s), create my cloud, present to Alexa and see how a small trial goes.
Wish me luck!

Which is fine. I’m more interested in the opposite direction communication.

That’s really the trade-off. In order to be user-friendly, Alexa and other commercial systems are designed with limitations. I think that’s appropriate for the “average consumer” that they’re targeting, but doesn’t scratch the itch for anyone who wants to get more advanced.

The flip side is that we get new OH users who think it’s too complicated–and that’s true. You’ve adapted pretty well to the OH model, but many others struggle to make the leap.

I had some frustrations at first. Partly me - not REALLY reading what the directions said. And I still have to get some concepts into my brain. This is a temp setup before I move everything to the permanent “home”.
I’m still struggling with Things (not so much), Locations (yea - some), and Equipment. And how to… name and arrange to make sense in the long run.
But - I’ll get there.

It’s smart to view your first attempt as a rough draft. People get caught up thinking that it has to be perfect the first time, but that’s a pretty rare occurence in life.

On that note, if you find any spots in the document that don’t make sense, write them down so that you can submit edits later! The challenge with documentation is that it’s hard to write for absolute beginners when you already know the answer. It’s really easy to skip over important details after they’ve become part of your subconscious thought process.

Anyone can submit edits to the docs via GitHub, and everyone is encouraged to do so. Your experience as a new user provides valuable insight. You’ll never have this perspective again.

Considering I’ve been teaching and doing technical documentation for 30 years… I may do that. I’ve had to write all my documentation from the standpoint of someone who knows nothing. Well, almost nothing.

Yes, please!

Here’s a primer, but I’m not sure how up-to-date it is. @Confectrician, do you have anything newer to help someone get started with doc submissions?

30 years of programming from mainframes to web to applications (large commercial applications) for global companies. Along with the hardware design and documentation. We used some GitHub, but mostly SVN.