Amazon / Alexa Air Quality Device - New

I’m running the release 3.3 on a Pi 4 and this is what I have installed:

now that I paste, I see that it is ‘waiting’ - I guess I need to go figure out why…

358 │ Waiting │  80 │ 3.2.13                 │ SmartHome/J Add-ons :: Bundles :: Amazon Echo Control Binding
359 │ Active  │  80 │ 3.2.13                 │ SmartHome/J Add-ons :: Bundles :: Common Components

That’s why I there is an add-on service… It saves you from manually tinkering around with the bundles and their dependencies.

Try resolve 358 followed by start 358.

Was excited too see new commands to run…but sadly they didn’t work. I’ll try a reboot later… not super-urgent…

Well, I’m a little confused (which isn’t unusual).
I confirmed both Echo bindings were removed in the UI, double-checked the addons folder, did a clean-cache and reboot, and then checked what was running and the Smarthome/J one was still running. All Echo devices were online in Things, but there was no discovered Air Quality device (confirmed in Alexa UI).
I then installed the Smarthome/J one from the Bindings UI and checked the console again, and two different versions were running, Echo devices online, but no discovered Air Quality device.

openhab> bundle:list | grep cho
234 │ Active │  80 │ 3.2.7.202110131552     │ SmartHome/J Add-ons :: Bundles :: Amazon Echo Control Binding
openhab> bundle:list | grep cho
234 │ Active  │  80 │ 3.2.7.202110131552     │ SmartHome/J Add-ons :: Bundles :: Amazon Echo Control Binding
307 │ Waiting │  80 │ 3.2.13                 │ SmartHome/J Add-ons :: Bundles :: Amazon Echo Control Binding

Any ideas?

Here’s what I would do. Uninstall bundle 234 and 307 from above.

Make sure you don’t have anything installed around “SmartHome/J” after uninstalling by doing your bundle:list | grep cho

Then I would drop these into your add-on’s, remove the .TXT from the end first.

This is the exact versions I’m running now for over a year. I would drop the common’s one first and make sure it is active before dropping in the echo one.

org.smarthomej.commons-3.2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar.txt (68.4 KB)
org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar.txt (487.5 KB)

Best, Jay

Thanks Jay,

I think I’m set up:

openhab> bundle:list | grep smarthomej

309 │ Active │  80 │ 3.2.11.202201280329    │ file:/usr/share/openhab/addons/org.smarthomej.commons-3.2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar
310 │ Active │  80 │ 3.2.11.202201281419    │ file:/.../org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar

Should the device just discover or do I need to do something manually?

You have hit the SCAN button when trying to add a new Amazon smart device, it should discover all your smartDevices attached to the Echo account.

Best, Jay

Thanks - sorry - I should have been more clear. I did scan, but don’t see any new things appear. I have a couple that I haven’t accepted…I’m unsure of where the Air Quality device should appear…

You may not have your amazon account thing set to discover. It should be set to 2 which is Device Discovery Mode. See pic below.

Try that and rescan.

Best, Jay

That’s the ticket! Thanks - haven’t added an Alexa device in a couple years! Appreciate everyone bearing with me on this and hope others find the thread useful!

1 Like

Tried it with the offical binding and just got the temperature.
Thanks to @J-N-K for the smarthomej Echo binding, working perfect. Why are there different Versions of the binding?
Greetings from Dortmund to Gelsenkirchen! :+1:

3 Likes

Hello,
i added the device, anyway the only channel available is the temperature. There is a way to get also the other value (i.s humidity PM 2.5-VOC-CO)?
Thanks in advance!!

Please read the posting above yours, if you want more channels, you have to use the SmartHomeJ Echo binding located in the marketplace in the GUI.

Make sure you uninstall the official Echo binding first before installing this one below.

Best, Jay

1 Like

I have added the JSON to the 3rd party URLS

but yet I can not find it in the marketplace - is there something else I have to do ?

I had the same problem also, so I actually just grabbed it here. This ONLY works for OH 4.0, not 4.1.

https://download.smarthomej.org/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-4.0.2-SNAPSHOT.kar

Best, Jay

I am still running on OH 3.2

Tried installing it via

bundle:install https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/smarthomej/addons/bundles/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol/3.2.19/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.19.kar

But got

Bundle IDs:
Error executing command: Error installing bundles:
Unable to install bundle https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/smarthomej/addons/bundles/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol/3.2.19/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.19.kar: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: OSGi R3 bundle not supported

I unzipped it and moved the jars to the addon folder, but also this does not seem to work

The Amazon binding was the ONLY reason I upgraded from OH 3.4 to 4.0. It was difficult but it was worth it after it was done (much better core of the system now).

This weekend I plan to get to 4.1 which is another jump that addresses a lot of stuff.

My recommendation is to upgrade OH, make sure to backup before you start.

Sorry, Jay

15:39:37.474 [INFO ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall         ] - Installing bundle org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol / 3.2.19
15:39:37.603 [INFO ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall         ] - Installing bundle org.smarthomej.commons / 3.2.19
15:39:38.089 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol'
15:39:38.096 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol'
15:39:38.102 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol'
15:39:38.109 [DEBUG] [ovider.AbstractResourceBundleProvider] - Parse rules from bundle 'org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol'
15:39:38.119 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.commons'
15:39:38.125 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.commons'
15:39:38.131 [DEBUG] [r.AutomationResourceBundlesEventQueue] - Process bundle event 32, for automation bundle 'org.smarthomej.commons'
15:39:38.137 [DEBUG] [ovider.AbstractResourceBundleProvider] - Parse rules from bundle 'org.smarthomej.commons'
15:39:38.219 [INFO ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall         ] - Started bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab/addons/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.19.jar
15:39:38.342 [INFO ] [rvice.internal.HttpServiceFactoryImpl] - Binding bundle: [org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol_3.2.19 [390]] to http service

worked, the .jar files had been in the wrong folder

Please know that lastVoiceCommand does NOT work with this version of the binding. It was fixed it OH 4.x version.

Amazon Echo SmartJ Binding Last Voice Command not working anymore - Off-Topic - openHAB Community

Best, Jay

1 Like