Amazon / Alexa Air Quality Device - New

I just installed 2 of these devices from Amazon. They are new, got them as a pre-order situation from them a few days ago.

They are discovered by OH but they are UNKNOWN and the only thing exposed is the temperature item.

It’s a smart home item within the telephone’s Alexa GUI - not a discovered Alexa type device under the http://openhabian:8080/amazonechocontrol interface

It has this defined as a device id in OH discovery:

AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAlzsiBBl_kl4W9yB8jt3JWEMpF3zfM3YfXqZAf9GFmnylQ2T9lEOz4DvF3OmMcXnJvnzrkW7Yxxxxxxx

I tried to pull the details of the device using a serial number against it but it didn’t work.

http://192.168.0.32:8080/amazonechocontrol/account1/ids/?serialNumber=GAJ23001147xxxxx

Best, Jay

Interesting device. Is the device state always UNKNOWN or is it cycling between UNKNOWN/ONLINE?

The description of it is UNKNOWN. The device stays online the entire time since it’s just a smarthome device discovered through the account.

The device works pretty well also. Put one above my kitchen cabinets and this morning got done making toast (no smoke or anything) and it detected poor air about 5 minutes after making the toast. Must of been particles or something in the air.

Best, Jay

Is this on OH 3.2 or 2.4?

3.2m5 using a download JAR from another thread because lastvoicecommand wasn’t still working on 3.2m4 in the KAR.

The logging for this JAR is different, doesn’t have OH in it → org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol

Best, Jay

That explains why it‘s ONLINE. The oprnHAB version has the unknown/online cycling bug.

So the question is why channels are missing. We‘ll find that out. Let me look into the code and I‘ll tell you what information is needed.

If you set the binding to TRACE level, delete the device and re-discover it, you should see a log-message similar to Handler '{}' has capabilities '{}' and uses channels '{}' with the {} filled with some values. Can you share that log-line?

Here’s what I’m getting, copied and pasted a few blocks.

manufacturerName='Amazon', friendlyDescription='Amazon Indoor Air Quality Monitor', modelName='', friendlyName='First Air Quality Monitor', reachability='null', entityId='e2407efb-7e19-403e-8391-e017da4cad40', applianceNetworkState=SmartHomeDeviceNetworkState{reachability='REACHABLE'}, capabilities=[SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.TemperatureSensor', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='temperature'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AlexaEndpointCapabilityInstance', type='AlexaInterface', version='3.0', interfaceName='Alexa.ProactiveNotificationSource', properties=null}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.ToggleController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='toggleState'}]}}], tags=org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.jsons.JsonSmartHomeTags$JsonSmartHomeTag@244827, applianceTypes=[AIR_QUALITY_MONITOR], aliases=[JsonSmartHomeDeviceAlias{friendlyName='Loft Air Quality Monitor', enabled=true}], groupDevices=null, connectedVia='', driverIdentity=DriverIdentity{namespace='AAA', identifier='SonarCloudService'}, mergedApplianceIds=[AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAlzsiBBl_kl4W9yB8jt3JWEMpF3zfM3YfXqZAf9GFmnylQ2T9lEOz4DvF3OmMcXnJvnzrkW7YtqiX0WeY], smarthomeDevices=null}, SmartHomeDevice{updateIntervalInSeconds=null,
manufacturerName='Amazon', friendlyDescription='Amazon Indoor Air Quality Monitor', modelName='', friendlyName='Second Air Quality Monitor', reachability='null', entityId='4425680a-78f1-450a-9a99-cc32bdf2d681', applianceNetworkState=SmartHomeDeviceNetworkState{reachability='REACHABLE'}, capabilities=[SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.TemperatureSensor', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='temperature'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AlexaEndpointCapabilityInstance', type='AlexaInterface', version='3.0', interfaceName='Alexa.ProactiveNotificationSource', properties=null}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.ToggleController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='toggleState'}]}}], tags=org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.jsons.JsonSmartHomeTags$JsonSmartHomeTag@32dbbc, applianceTypes=[AIR_QUALITY_MONITOR], aliases=[JsonSmartHomeDeviceAlias{friendlyName='Kitchen Air Quality Monitor', enabled=true}], groupDevices=null, connectedVia='', driverIdentity=DriverIdentity{namespace='AAA', identifier='SonarCloudService'}, mergedApplianceIds=[AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAnmWNdpudF0ErgCM3XbJn8v2yqnsCOPY9DoH-q7vl3v-EmRe4rbeDFbbIRyApO-eW6wvav2VijhLk0ZOX], smarthomeDevices=null}, SmartHomeDevice{updateIntervalInSeconds=10, applianceId='AAA_SonarCloudService_f3a1e33e-97da-3158-ba7b-75df1f144d05',
2021-12-18 15:20:46.794 [TRACE] [chocontrol.internal.handler.SmartHomeDeviceHandler] - Search for smartHomeBaseDevice='SmartHomeDevice{updateIntervalInSeconds=20, applianceId='AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAlzsiBBl_kl4W9yB8jt3JWEMpF3zfM3YfXqZAf9GFmnylQ2T9lEOz4DvF3OmMcXnJvnzrkW7YtqiX0WeY', manufacturerName='Amazon', friendlyDescription='Amazon Indoor Air Quality Monitor', modelName='', friendlyName='First Air Quality Monitor', reachability='null', entityId='e2407efb-7e19-403e-8391-e017da4cad40', applianceNetworkState=SmartHomeDeviceNetworkState{reachability='REACHABLE'}, capabilities=[SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.TemperatureSensor', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='temperature'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AlexaEndpointCapabilityInstance', type='AlexaInterface', version='3.0', interfaceName='Alexa.ProactiveNotificationSource', properties=null}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.RangeController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='rangeValue'}]}}, SmartHomeCapability{capabilityType='AVSInterfaceCapability', type='AlexaInterface', version='3', interfaceName='Alexa.ToggleController', properties=Properties{supported=[Property{name='toggleState'}]}}], tags=org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.jsons.JsonSmartHomeTags$JsonSmartHomeTag@244827, applianceTypes=[AIR_QUALITY_MONITOR], aliases=[JsonSmartHomeDeviceAlias{friendlyName='Loft Air Quality Monitor', enabled=true}], groupDevices=null, connectedVia='', driverIdentity=DriverIdentity{namespace='AAA', identifier='SonarCloudService'}, mergedApplianceIds=[AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAlzsiBBl_kl4W9yB8jt3JWEMpF3zfM3YfXqZAf9GFmnylQ2T9lEOz4DvF3OmMcXnJvnzrkW7YtqiX0WeY], smarthomeDevices=null}' resulted in '[SmartHomeDevice{updateIntervalInSeconds=20, applianceId='AAA_SonarCloudService_00QAlzsiBBl_kl4W9yB8jt3JWEMpF3zfM3YfXqZAf9GFmnylQ2T9lEOz4DvF3OmMcXnJvnzrkW7YtqiX0WeY',
1 Like

Thanks. I‘ll try to figure out what‘s going on ASAP.

1 Like

@jwiseman which version of the amazon binding do you use? I am asking because my amazon AirQualityDevice was not found (running OH 3.2m5 and OH3.2).
I tried the official OH binding and the “org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.7-SNAPSHOT” Version (without that socket-error)… both versions didn’t find my AirQualityDevice.
I am just curious :slight_smile:

I actively working with the Amazon binding owner to not just detect the device but detect the channels within it. The binding version I have doesn’t have any channels other than temperature which I haven’t even linked or tested it.

Will keep you posted once we get it to work.

Best, Jay

1 Like

This version of the Amazon Echo binding has the Amazon Air Quality devices working for me over the last 25 days now.

Best, Jay

Found out about this and I wanted to share in order to keep up to date with the latest Amazon Echo binding.

If you’re on openHAB 3.2.0 or later, you can add “https://download.smarthomej.org/addons.json ” in the “JSON 3rd Party Addon Service” section in the settings page of the UI.
Once that is saved, go to the bindings page and you’ll see a new section with the 3rd Party Addons. You’re looking for the SmartHome/J variant of the Amazon Echo Control Binding.
*Be sure to uninstall the regular one before you install this one

Best, Jay

Did you manage to get it to pull any other data out of the Air Quality Monitor as I’m still only seeing Temperature in the Channels.

Yup, have 2 of them and the data is being actively pulled.

I would delete your device and rediscover it.

Best, Jay

@J-N-K and @jwiseman - I just got one of these Amazon Smart Air Quality Monitors and upgraded to the latest OpenHAB v3.3. Was hoping that the v3.2.9 addons SmartHomeJ enhancements to support this device would have been included in v3.3.0 of the official AmazonEchoControl binding, and discovery would just work for this newer devices channels, but apparently not yet… Similar to others above I’m only seeing a Temperature channel.

I’m not apposed to trying it out via “JSON 3rd Party Addon Service”, but first I was looking into just side loading the custom SmartHomeJ AmazonEchoControl/Commons bindings via my OpenHAB ‘addons’ folder. Looking at Maven however, there don’t seem to be any v3.3.x releases:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.smarthomej.addons.bundles/org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol

Would you expect that v3.2.13 would work fine with OpenHAB 3.3.x as well?

Thanks for all of your awesome work on this!

I’m still running OH 3.2 with the air quality monitor.

Best, Jay

1 Like

If you install all necessary bundles, it’ll work with 3.3.

1 Like

On 3.3 I’ve removed the Amazon Echo Control binding and installed ‘SmartHome/J Amazon Echo Control Binding’… is there something else I need to do to discover the ‘Thing’?

No, should work OOTB. Which version are you running?