Amazon Echo SmartJ Binding Last Voice Command not working anymore

Can you go to the console and show the output of

list -s | grep -i amazon

?

Can someone else report if the file is working?

The file is working with a delay of 12 - 30 seconds.

Console output was:
297 │ Active │ 80 │ 4.0.1.202308191408 │ org.smarthomej.binding.amazon

2 Likes

Is there anyway for this version to work on OH 3.4?

4.0.1.202308191408 │ org.smarthomej.binding.amazon

Best, Jay

1 Like

not sure if I got the same use case as you, but my lastCommands work as always.
The binding is:
openhab> list -s | grep amazon 283 │ Active │ 80 │ 3.4.4 │ org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol

I have a dummy routine in the Amazon-app that receives the commands that are relevant for openhab but does nothing.
Then I got a rule in OH that is triggered when the lastCommand item changes.

Maybe that triggers the command being send via the websocket connection.

I’m preparing the code changes, but could you try the suggestion of @Larsen?

1 Like

Aren’t the standard OH Amazon binding and yours drastically different?

I remember contributing input on the Tile Tracker lat/long integration along with the Amazon air quality integration.

I’m not sure the standard Amazon binding has these features that I need for my house?

Best, Jay

I was referring only to the Alexa routine that catches the voice commands. If that makes the lastVoiceCommand channel work as before, it might be a better workaround than my code.

The handling of the lastvoicecommand channel is the same, you can continue to use the snarthome/j version.

Hey @Larsen,

I’m interested in this routine and rule. Can you provide more detail how you got this implemented?

How are you capturing and pushing the “last commands” from the Amazon-app to OH’s Amazon’s lastCommand channel?

Best, Jay

I noticed he’s running OH’s version of the binding, not yours. What he is describing is what I’ve been doing, only difference is have Alexa say “Sure”.

Lets see what he says about this . . .

Is it possible that OH’s version of the binding is working still and yours is not for lastCommand?

Best, Jay

there is not much to describe about my solution:
The Alexa-Routine is triggered by all the sentences that should start something within openhab. I need it to avoid Alexa telling me that it doesn’t understand the command. It has no actions.

The openhab part is independent and is triggered by a change of a member of the lastVoiceCommand-Items-Group.
One nice thing is that you know which Echo was triggered and you can answer directly from this Echo.

I checked today and it’s still working. I’m wondering if Amazon has different versions running in the backend, maybe because of different countries (I’m in Germany)

And yes: I’m running the binding that comes with OH.

Yup, that is the difference. The US model has changed, lastVoiceCommand is NOT getting populated anymore.

Best, Jay

It is also not working for me in Germany.

Hi @Larsen,

I am also in Germany and lastVoiceCommand is not working anymore.
But I didn’t understand your solutioin:

• Do you have one routine or one for each item to be controlled?
  • How does the routine update the lastVoiceCommand? Or do you just switch a concrete item?

Maybe you could make an example of your solution?

Thanks,
Alex

Sorry for the delay in replying. Life got squarely in the way!

Looks like others have had the same thing. list -s | grep -i amazon returns:

286 | Active | 80 | 4.0.1.202308191408 | org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol

So the updated binding is active. However lastVoiceCommand still fails to respond, even after 30s. Nada!

I’m interested in trying @Larsen’s solution. Like others I don’t know how that works yet, so more info would be welcome (although I’ll try to experiment)

Currently I don’t control items this way because then I would need a routine for each item. If I want to control items via Echo they’re connected by meta-data (switches, lights, color strips etc.). That gives more freedom regarding the commands.
My use case is to ask if all windows are closed (“are all windows closed”, “are any windows open”). If any of my lastVoiceCommand-items (one for each Echo in the house) is changed to that command then openhab checks the windows and answers which are open.
This is the rule:

This is the action part of the rule:

Thanks for the explanation @Larsen.

It looks like your lastVoiceCommand-items are receiving updates, which can then be used to trigger things in openHAB - very similar to my setup. The problem for me is that none of those items are getting updates any more.

Could you show us what the dummy alexa routine looks like? I feel like that might be key.

2 Likes

no, the alexa-routine is not the key. It even works without the routine (just tried it).
Then Echo answers first (“sorry, I don’t know the item window”) and openhab follows (“The following windows are open…”).
Conclusion:
My lastVoiceComand-Items still receive updates. I have no idea why, especially if some of you are located in Germany too (do you use a German amazon account with german settings?).
My Setup is OH 3.4.4 with standard binding.

Ah - so there’s an inconsistency which means that lastVoiceCommand is working for some but not others. How strange! But that gives me some hope that it might be switched back on at some point.

Interested to know if it’s still working for anyone else, and which regions are affected.

My belief is @Larsen is connected to an AWS instance that either hasn’t been upgraded OR will completely die once everybody falls off of it.

My bet would be, if @Larsen signs out and back in, it won’t work again.

Best, Jay

1 Like