Amazon Fire Tablets

Newbie alert. I have a bunch of Fire tablets that i would like to setup with hubpanel. Do i have to root these first? I got stuck when attempting to DL zulu.

I would be happy to pay someone to hold my hand through this! I have LIFX, nest, racchio and myq that i am looking to add to my dashboards.

TIA!

Habpanel is a web app. You don’t need to root anything. Just open habpanel in the browser.

Last I read (a few months back), you can’t root the newer Fire devices. I run Fully Kiosk Browser on Amazon Fire 7 with decent results. https://www.ozerov.de/fully-kiosk-browser/

Hey Josh,
are you running the “with ads” version of FireOS? I just installed 2 Fire HD 10 woth Fully and configured motion detection to wake the devices, when I walk by.
The only disadvantage I have is that they only activate to the “ads” screen and do not open Fully directly. I have to swipe the ad in order to get access to Fully/Habpanel.
Any idea how to solve this?

Other than that, I really love the HD10/Fully/HABpanel setup.

Negative. I bought the Fires without ads. It was another $10 or so but I felt the value was still there. I think you can buy out of them at any time. I couldn’t find another viable solution (i.e., hack 'em).

If you don’t mind leaving them on all the time, I use this:

http://a.co/4aCLGD8

I also loaded the Google Play Store so I could use the Habpanel Viewer App.

Thanks for your replies. In the meantime I asked Amazon support to remove the ads screen, what they did. But they charged my the diff I saved earlier.
Unfortunately FBK still isnt able to get around the lock screen. Looks like this atm:

In case anyone knows how to get around this, I would appreciate the input.

@QuagmireMan, Thanks for your hint. FBK has a built-in “leave screen on” function, but the idea is to use motion detection of the front camera to turn the screen on, so it’s not active all the time.
You can nicely control the time the tablet stays on as well as the brightness via OH. So I have some rules, that the tablet turns on with lower brightness and a bit shorter at night times.

Came across, when I locked for fire tablet developments. Re your questions, how to unlock your tab, I recommend you following post from bphillips921 at https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-to-automate-fire-tablet-unlock/63629/13

Worked for my fire 7 pretty well…

I stumbled about your post.

1. Have you been able to solve your issue with the last reponse in this thread (see above?)
  2. Are you happy with the performance (response on clicks on widgets good enough)?

Hey,
Yeah, the problems are all solved and the setup is running quite nicely for a year now. Iirc rooting the device did the trick which then gave the ablility to set some permissions and configs. Paying Amazon to remove the ads didnt do anything and can be done on a rooted device as well.

I’m quite happy with the device. Its snappy and turns on the way I want it. Right now it wakes per sound when taping on the tablet or the frame. Intuitive and reacts really fast.
Sometimes the 2nd device on upper floor looses Wifi and I need to cycle wifi to get it back. But I’m not sure if its related to the device or the wifi.
Hope this helps.

So you mean rooting on a fire tablet WITH ads would bring the same result?
Thanks for your fedback - I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I bought the cheaper version with ads. Then root it in order to remove the ads as well as as the locked in welcome screen.

1 Like

:+1:
Awesome - thanks!