Amazon Polly TTS voice service

note the uppercase Ks and R – maybe I should change that to be less confusing

Thanks! I was able to use it.
Given I’m EU based, I used “serviceRegion=eu-west-1”. Not sure if that matters.

I’ll experiment some more now. Thanks!

Just uploaded a new jar that correctly re-initializes all the access objects when the config file is changed.

Hello -

First off let me say thank you for putting this together. I like having access to the Amazon TTS engine as it has a bit more of a personality/human feel over other options.

I have set up and configured and have Polly executing my TTS actions.

I just noticed however on restart of OH that the contents of my config file are showing up in the OH CLI window upon startup…

Anyway to prevent this? I do not see this with any other bindings that require a CFG file?

thanks, I was doing some testing and left the code in the jar by mistake, I have a new version that I’m testing now that finishes all my open items. Will post when I upload it.

New Jar Uploaded, download from installation wiki

Very interesting project, I will get into this in the fall when I get more time. Currently my problem is that to use voice I would like to say: “Alexa, give me a status update”, then this needs to trigger a rule in OH which then switches source on my stereo from alexa to the OH(rpi), then execute the say(......) then swap source on my stereo back to alexa.

But is this not the same as using the alexa OH skill? (The alexa hue emulator only works for inputs, no sya commands…)

Just submitted the pull request, Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I have downloaded the new version from the installation wiki as directed above and still see the contents of the configuration file in the OpenHab CLI.

Guessing it was a dropbox issue. I’ll append a timestamp in the future. Updated the install wiki with this link. org.openhab.voice.pollytts-2.1.0-SNAPSHOT-20170615.jar

I downloaded using the new link provided and unfortunately I am still seeing the CFG file information in the CLI…

In the console, type "bundle:list"
Make sure only one version is running with this timestamp.

233 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0.201706160255 | PollyTSS Voice Service

Here’s what I see…I removed the older version from the addons folder…

You need to stop and uninstall the existing bundle, then the new one will startup. (if not, start it yourself). The old binding is cached, so the fact that you have removed it from addons folder will not change which instance that is running.

1 Like

I guess my late night posting was not as explicit as I thought it was :stuck_out_tongue:

I stopped OH and removed the previous version of the addons folder, and then placed the new version in the addons folder and restarted. Once I restarted i still saw the CFG file contents in the CLI.

Once I saw the two Polly TTS bundles in the list, I needed to use bundle:uninstall xxx to remove the previous version which then allowed the newer version to run.

I was always under the impression that once you stopped OH the bundles were unloaded and if you removed something from the Addons folder and then restarted it would no longer be active. Now I know that even if you remove the binding and restart you still need to do a manual clean up.

After using this binding for three weeks, I have found it working great, apart from one thing; it does not handle decimal point correctly in Swedish;
In Sweden, we use ‘,’ (comma) instead of ‘.’ dot for decimals, e.g. instead of “Twenty dot five degrees” we say “Twenty comma five degrees”.

I’m not sure where things go wrong, but in basic UI I see “20,5”, and also the voiceRSS handled this correctly (granted, this was some installations/oh versions/ ago, maybe something else has changed).

Is there some settings that I’m missing, or is this a known issue? I’m using 2.1.0.201706152028 on the 2.1 release oh.

Could you give me more details on the say command and rule your using.

I tried Say("my number is 25,3 ") and it seemed to work

So, I did some more testing, and it seams that I’m missing a clue here.
The rule uses OutsideTemp.state.toString, which returns 15.5 degree C right now. But in Basic UI, OutsideTemp is 15,5.

So, I did a test, using both voicerss and pollytts on the same message;

var String message = "det är" + OutsideTemp.state.toString + " grader ute! Och 23,4 grader inne."
    logInfo("Bedroom Scene",message)
    say(message,"pollytts:Astrid", "sonos:PLAY5:RINCON_000E58804A4201400")
    say(message,"voicerss:svSE","sonos:PLAY5:RINCON_000E58804A4201400")

The log prints;
det är15.0 grader ute! Och 23,4 grader inne.

voicerss says both numbers with comma, which is correct Swedish, while polly uses ‘dot’ on the first temperature.

So is this actually voicerss that understands that it should say comma instead of dot, since it is within a number?
How is it intended to work?

Hi ,

thanks for developing this!

I’ve added the binding in my home installation quite easily, but when I try to use it with my logitech squeezebox server I found an issue. After creating the audio file for reproduction, OH tells my media server to play from http://:8080/audio/ . Unfortunately http://:8080/audio is not configured in the web server…
Is this a binding configuration or general OH2 config I’m missing?

Thanks,
Carlos

Well, this binding will work within the *.rules file - simply use say() function as described in the docs.

In order to play this sound over Squeezebox, you have to set it as a audio sink.