AmbientWeather.net weather station binding

I’ve developed a binding for Ambient Weather weather stations.

The binding uses the real-time API provided by the Ambient Weather online service. The real-time API gets weather station updates whenever the station pushes data to the Ambient Weather online service. Therefore, the data doesn’t have the latency issues associated with a solution that polls for the data.

To use the binding, your station needs to push data to the Ambient Weather online service. And you’ll need to create an API key on your Ambient Weather dashboard located at https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/dashboard

The binding currently support the following weather stations.

• WS-1400-IP / WS-1401-IP series (and other stations that use the Observer IP module)
  • WS-8482
  • WS-0900-IP
  • WS-2902A
  • WS-0265

If you have another weather station that posts data to Ambient Weather, I’d be happy to see if I can add support for that station. Please PM me and we can work out the details.

3 Likes

Here’s a sample of the data available. This is a combination of WS-1400-IP and WS-8482 data.

1 Like

Looks great and thanks for creating and sharing the binding. Do you know if I own a weather station with the ObserverIP that is made by Fine Offset and not branded as Ambient Weather if I can still send the data to their website/server and use your binding?

Can you share what the server IP/hostname and port yours is set to use in the observerIP’s webpage settings?

I have a WS-2902A and do currently publish my station to the ambient weather website.

Very interested in trying out the binding.

Sounds good. I’ll PM you with a jar file and some instructions.

Just to give a quick update for others who stumble across this thread like I have.

This binding rocks. Simple setup compared to many of them, and the dataset I am getting solves many of the issues I was running into when trying get it into openhab myself.

Very happy to be a tester for this one.

2 Likes

Hello,

I have a weather station WS-0900-IP and I’d like to try the binding. The problem is that I am a beginner and I need deeper explanations, in particular the steps I must follow. I mention that I have not installed any binding that is not in the OpenHAB binding section.

Thanks a lot.

@criserb No worries about you being a beginner. I can walk you through the necessary steps.

It looks like the WS-0900 might be similar to the WS-1400 in terms of the data it provides.

I’ll send you a PM with some information.

Hello @mhilbush,
I got my WS-1550-IP today and would like to use your binding and integrate it to my openhab installation. Can you also guide me through ?

Thanks

Sure, I’ll PM you shortly with some info.

Hi @zolon

just curious to know, if you are happy with the ws-2902a and if it is compatible with this binding?

1 Like

Hi @mhilbush

just because i’m a java developer. i guess, all weather stations from ambient weather work, cause i think, you get the data from them and not from a proprietary hardware.

It’s supported by the binding. See here. But I can’t speak for whether @zolon is happy with it. :wink:

Yes and no. While there’s a common data model on ambientweather.net, each station model does not provide all the data elements. In fact, some stations (e.g. WS-8482) provide only a very small subset of the data elements.

It’s very likely that a new station model would work with an existing thing type supported by the binding. What I’ve tried to do, however, is create a specific thing type for a model once we determine if it has different data elements than an already-supported model.

I am very happy with it. The only issues I have with it, are of my own doing. Complete redesign of my home network.

The weather station I have, WS-2902A, is missing a couple metrics that Mark’s has. Battery life is the main one. The station doesn’t have them at all, so this isn’t a binding issue.

I have tried many different bindings, and even dabbled at creating my own. Mark has saved me a lot of pain with this binding. His help in creating a custom profile for the different stations because of different result sets has been invaluable.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

I can’t figure out where to find this binding… do you have it available for download somewhere?

Thanks!

Oops. I left the link off my 1st post. I’ll fix that in a minute.

I’ve updated the first post. Let me know if you run into any issues.

1 Like

Looks good. I’ve implemented it and the 1404-ip seems to work for my 1002-wifi as well, at least for what I’ve tried. (They’re the same base units, just different interfaces).

Thank you!

I’m not sure if there’s something that can be done to better handle celsius vs fahrenheit – I did add a transform JS file, but perhaps OpenHAB has some built-in selectors?

The binding supports UOM (units of measure) functionality. If you define your items as Number:Temperature and have your locale configured in the openHAB system config, it should show the right units.

Great. If you notice any values that are missing, we can do a thing type for the 1002.

BTW, how’d you get an application key so fast? It usually takes a few hours, if not a day.