Announcing some improvements to the Homekit plugin for openHAB 2

That is correct, I personally use the described setup, and as for the timing just time how long you door takes to open and use that.

I’m an happy user of the Homekit plugin, everything I control in OpenHAB is done through the homekit app and it’s getting more stable and more extended.

One question, I have some doorsensors on batteries and I’ve implemented the batterylow (created a rule when percentage is below 15% then set this to true, but I was wondering, will the batterypercentage also come to the plugin, so that I can see the percentage in homekit?
As far as I can see this isn’t supported yet.

But again, it is already a great plugin :+1:

it will come but it will take some time.

according to apple specification:

• battery percentage is a separate service in homekit specification.
  • one can combine several services combined to one accessory, e.g. doorsensor + batteryservice, or heater + fan.

however, the library we use for homekit binding does not support this. it only supports one service per accessory. first proposals how to add this supports are already there, but it will take some time to merge them, test them and add support in OH binding.

1 Like

hi Roel,

to avoid the limitions in the HomeKit plugin and limitions in HomeKit itself + the fact there isn’t support for all devices running on batteries, I also use a rule - it runs every day at noon to check the batt-low threshold of all devices running on batteries. An exception mail is dropped when a device gets in batt-low state.
This keeps the item creation for homekit less complex and your icons in HomeKit are not overloaded with additional information.

Hey guys, first of all: Thanks a lot for your great work!

Are there any news on this topic regarding battery percentage?

Hi Frank,

no, no updates from my side. not sure whether anyone else looking into it.

if i get some time again to do some development then this would be the first feature i would do. i would love to have myself as well.