Any chance of rpm packages/yum repo in addition to deb/apt?

For those of us using RPM-based Linux distros - any chance of getting rpm package and a yum repo in addition to deb/apt ones?

I thought there was a repo that does that but I don’t know. I think it would be a welcome addition. We have apt-get and snap support, yum and yast (does SuSE still use yast?) would be good.

The chances it gets done will depend on someone taking up the task and building it.

We would support it in openhab-linuxpkg, it shouldn’t be too hard to generate RPM packages based on the code that is already there since the gradle plugin supports both deb and RPM builds. It’ll just need a bit of refactoring to do both and I’d be more than happy to setup the hosting of it if I could have some testers.

@Stormwind, I have actually created a test PR for RPM packages, currently holding the latest snapshot. I would appreciate it if you could help test: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg/pull/37

Thanks! I attempted install and posted the error I received in the Github issue.

Did this repo get removed?

failure: repodata/repomd.xml from openHAB: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/linuxpkg-testing-rpm/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 404 - Not Found

I just saw on another thread that there is an upstream problem with the builds overall. That might be causing the repo to fail to populate. Per usual, I could be wrong as well.

I’m still preparing the repo, the only thing left to do is gpg sign the packages, but for now unsigned ones are being published alongsidr the deb.

You can change the URL to:

baseurl=https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg-rpm/unstable

One more change, it looks like the init scripts have a dependency of redhat-lsb-core package.

Also, looks like there is another problem with init scripts:

/etc/init.d/openhab2: line 72: /lib/init/vars.sh: No such file or directory

If I comment that out I see some debian log issues.

/etc/init.d/openhab2: line 121: log_daemon_msg: command not found
/etc/init.d/openhab2: line 125: start-stop-daemon: command not found
/etc/init.d/openhab2: line 141: log_end_msg: command not found

System is CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)

I thought CentOS 7 used systemctl?

When you installed it, did you revert back to sysVinit? Either way, I’ll make sure there’s some dummy function to provide some functionality there.

Ah… so I am lazy, manage mostly RHEL6 boxes so I use service {whatever} start and it maps it to systemctl, I guess it did not in this case because the RPM also installed systemVinit files? My guess is that RPM should not install the /etc/init.d/openhab2 files.

Unfortunately, some users with RPM based systems might have to use upstart which will use the init.d script, and it’ll be difficult to move things around post install.

I’ll have to think about that when I have time.

Right, but they wont work anyway because of the debian logging functions.

Any news when the rpm packages will start being signed?

P.S. I also noticed that openhab2 systemd service is started after rpm update, even if it wasn’t running beforehand. This causes problems for people running openhab1 but installing and working on an openhab2 migration on the side.

See this announcement: RPM Snapshot Repo now available for testing!