Any experience with Rollease Acmeda Automate Pulse 2 Hub?

Hi,

I’m looking at adding motorised blinds to my home automation setup and the Rollease Acmeda Automate range looks suitable for me. They have their own controller hub called the Pulse 2 Hub (Pulse 2 Hub | Automate Australia). Does anyone have any experience of integrating this into OpenHAB? There doesn’t appear to be a binding, but it works with Google Assistant and Homekit. There has been success reported on the Home Assistant forums by connecting it to Homekit and then communicating with Homekit (Rollease Acmeda Automate Pulse 2 hub integration - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community). Could something similar be done in OpenHAB?

Hi.

Just in case you’re still interested in this… I have managed to integrate the acmeda pulse 2 hub and blinds with openhab successfully.

Basically using node-red as an intermediate between the 2. You will need to install node-red and add openhab and telnet nodes and the rest is scripting.
I’m only using node-red because there is no generic telnet binding in openhab. If there was you wouldn’t need node-red at all.

Let me know if you’re still interested and I will go into more detail

Yes, I’m extremely interested! Thank you!

I have bought 2 of the blinds and controller and they work well. I plan on expanding it to the whole house and getting it working with OpenHAB would be the icing on the cake.

Hi Brad,

Ok, Here goes! Let me know if you have any issues with the below.

The Pulse 2 Hub has a Telnet Interface where you can send commands and receive updates on the states of the blinds.
You can use any telnet client and connect to the IP address of the Pulse 2 hub but you need to use port 1487.

The commands to send require a ! to start then the Blind address as found in the Pulse 2 app, then the command and then a position (if needed) ending with a ;
There’s a few commands but the only two that I’m interested in are the ones that control the blind movement. m to move and s to stop

So with the Blind Address being PR6 and I want to open it 50% then I would send !PR6m050;
If i wanted it fully open !PR6m000; or fully closed !PR6m100; or to stop it in its tracks !PR6s;

The Hub also sends back updates. You get Position and Battery voltage and there’s extra data that I’m not sure of and don’t seem to need.
You can investigate the other commands/data if you want but the main one I’m interested in is the position of the blind. If you wanted you could read out the battery voltage and send that to OpenHab but i haven’t done that yet.
For example the position of the above blind is reported as !PR6rXXX???,??? (XXX = position and the rest doesn’t matter!)

OK, So OpenHab needs to open a telnet connection to the Hub and process Blind Controls to and from these commands.
If OpenHAB had a Telnet Binding we wouldn’t need Node-Red but it doesn’t so it needs to be installed.
Google Node-Red and follow install instructions. I’m using Windows so it was quite easy. If you’re using Linux then I cant help.
If you’re not familiar with Node-Red this can get tricky.

Once Node-Red (NR) is installed you need to add 2 extra nodes. node-red-contrib-openhab3 and node-red-contrib-telnet-client.
You can google these or just go to Manage Palette in NR and search for them there

Once the extra Nodes are in then import my Flow below.

[
    {
        "id": "dc2e333.7536d5",
        "type": "tab",
        "label": "Blind Control",
        "disabled": false,
        "info": ""
    },
    {
        "id": "77dd9941.1f0c3",
        "type": "telnet-read",
        "z": "dc2e333.7536d5",
        "name": "",
        "connection": "e5d38a88.f6d0a8",
        "x": 310,
        "y": 120,
        "wires": [
            [
                "fae7385.1ed8248",
                "116b5f23.34c551"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "c894d31e.d9b5",
        "type": "telnet-send",
        "connection": "e5d38a88.f6d0a8",
        "x": 310,
        "y": 200,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "fae7385.1ed8248",
        "type": "function",
        "name": "Decode",
        "func": "\nvar rxs = msg.payload;\n// rxs = Recieved string should be !BBBcXXX????,???\n// BBB = Blind Address\n// c   = command (m = move, r read)\n// XXX = value\n// ??? = unknown and not needed\n\nvar blindaddress = rxs.substring(1,4);      // Get  Blind address,\nif (blindaddress == \"EUC\") return null;     //error!!! need to do something\n \nif (rxs.substring(4,5) != \"r\") return null; //only interested in r (read) for now\n\n/* if we need to deal with more commands\nvar cmdv =\"\";\nvar cmd = rxs.substring(4,5); \n  switch(cmd)\n   {\n      case \"p\": // Battery Voltage \n        cmdv = rxs.substring(7,12);\n        break;\n      case \"r\": \n        cmdv = rxs.substring(5,8);\n        break;\n      //default: return // unknown \n   }\n*/\n \n\n   msg.topic = blindaddress;\n   msg.payload = rxs.substring(5,8); // Blind Position.\n   if (msg.payload==\"?,R\") return null; //error? \nreturn msg;",
        "outputs": 1,
        "noerr": 0,
        "initialize": "",
        "finalize": "",
        "libs": [],
        "x": 460,
        "y": 160,
            [
                "fd46da46.d346a"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "fd46da46.d346a",
        "type": "switch",
        "property": "topic",
        "propertyType": "msg",
        "rules": [
            {
                "t": "eq",
                "v": "R6D",
                "vt": "str"
            },
            {
                "v": "PR6",
            },
            {
                "v": "DC3",
            }
        ],
        "checkall": "true",
        "repair": false,
        "outputs": 3,
        "x": 590,
            [
                "2209fbabf3e4b418"
            ],
            [
                "b5d85b199d146345"
            ],
            [
                "c51d02c9fea7d38c"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "d5034494.8f0368",
        "type": "debug",
        "name": "Debug",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "payload",
        "targetType": "msg",
        "statusVal": "",
        "statusType": "auto",
        "x": 90,
        "y": 240,
    },
    {
        "id": "116b5f23.34c551",
        "type": "debug",
        "name": "Debug",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "payload",
        "targetType": "msg",
        "statusVal": "",
        "statusType": "auto",
        "x": 330,
        "y": 60,
    },
    {
        "id": "b028e6169f8eef89",
        "type": "openhab2-in2",
        "controller": "dca5b83085a6363d",
        "itemname": "nrBlinds_Command",
        "topic": "",
        "initialstate": false,
        "whenupdated": false,
        "whencommand": true,
        "whenchanged": false,
        "changedfrom": "",
        "changedto": "",
        "x": 110,
            [
                "d5034494.8f0368",
                "c894d31e.d9b5"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "c51d02c9fea7d38c",
        "type": "openhab2-out2",
        "itemname": "nrBlindDining",
        "topic": "ItemUpdate",
        "payload": "",
        "onlywhenchanged": false,
        "x": 760,
        "y": 220,
    },
    {
        "id": "b5d85b199d146345",
        "itemname": "nrBlindLounge",
    },
    {
        "id": "2209fbabf3e4b418",
        "itemname": "nrBlindKitchen",
        "y": 100,
    },
    {
        "id": "e5d38a88.f6d0a8",
        "type": "telnet-connection",
        "name": "Acmeda Pulse2 Hub",
        "address": "192.168.0.100",
        "port": "1487",
        "inDelimiter": ";",
        "outDelimiter": "\\n",
        "timeOut": "100000",
        "clearOut": "",
        "openTries": "1"
    },
    {
        "id": "dca5b83085a6363d",
        "type": "openhab2-controller2",
        "name": "OH3",
        "protocol": "http",
        "host": "localhost",
        "port": "8080",
        "path": "",
        "username": "oh.nodered.EWSUUeALWX3PbFgqZBFVaJI5SVuRumyEwACCZBDqUXRHZlopzlePeYNyXueNhQcZdb2KBNFyNpWayuEA",
        "password": "",
        "ohversion": "v3",
        "token": ""
    }
]

You will need to modify it to work.
Configure the connections:

• For OpenHAB you will need to generate an API Key. (check community as to how or ask me!)
  • For The Pulse Hub you just need the IP and Port

Edit the Switch Node which sorts the Blind addresses so you need to match yours.
The Green Nodes are OpenHAB Items (You should use mine until you’re good with it all).
The Rest should be OK

OK Node-Red Done, On to OpenHAB. (assuming you’re using OH3)
Create a String item, Call it nrBlinds_Commands
Create a RollerShutter Item for each of your blinds.(use nrBlindLounge for example)
Add the Blind address as a Tag (Make sure its the 1st tag)

Create an ECMAScript and Give it a name.

Copy the below script into it. (This should work for any Blind as long as the Blind address is in the Tags)

var logger = Java.type("org.slf4j.LoggerFactory").getLogger("org.openhab.Script: Blind Automation");
var Thread = Java.type("java.lang.Thread");

var finalcmd;                                   // Command that will be sent to Blind.  "!BBBcXXX;" BBB = Blind address, c = command, xxx = number
var cmd = command.toString();                   // Get Command that triggered rule (UP,DOWN,STOP or Number)
var bl = ir.getItem(event.itemName);            // Get Item that triggered Rule
var ba = bl.getTags().toString().substr(1,3);   // Get Blind address from Tag, works but ugly and relies on the blind address being the 1st tag.
                                                // Will eventually use custom Metadata when it can be seen in UI

switch(cmd) // Convert RollerBlind Command to Pulse 2 Hub Command
  {
    case "UP":   finalcmd = 'm000;'
      break;
    case "DOWN": finalcmd = 'm100;'
      break;
    case "STOP": finalcmd = 's;'
      break;
    default: finalcmd = 'm'+"000".substring(0,3-cmd.length)+cmd+';' // must be a number so pad it to 3 digits and add 'm'. 
  }

finalcmd = "!" + ba + finalcmd;
logger.info("ItemName: "+event.itemName+",  Recieved Command: "+cmd+",  Sent to Blind: "+finalcmd);
events.sendCommand('nrBlinds_Command',finalcmd);

Thread.sleep(100); // Delay to stop multiple script instances running at same time (OH bug?)

Last thing is create a rule that will run the script any time one of your RollerShutter Items get Updated.

That should be It!.
You should now be able to control your Blinds with the RollerShutter Items.
You can Add Metadata so google can control them through openhab instead of the Cloud.

Hope this Helps… Let me know if anything is unclear.

Wow. Thank you!

I will get onto this as soon as I can. I haven’t used Node Red before so there will be a bit of overhead to learn it but hopefully a few evenings will be all it takes.

I expected that with no binding there would be some sort of middle-ware necessary but hadn’t had the time to investigate so really appreciate this. You don’t have a www.buymeacoffee.com account or similar by any chance?

No worries and No I don’t have an an account on buymeacoffee.com :slight_smile:
No need for anything like that, I’m just happy that what I worked out can help someone else.

Node-Red can be tricky but once learnt becomes a very powerful extension to OpenHab.
With the node-red-contrib-openhab3 node you don’t need anything in OpenHab other than an Item.
It opens up a lot of other devices that OpenHab doesn’t have a binding for.

The Script in OpenHab is as generic as I could make it and wont require any changes.
It just requires the Blind address to be added as the first TAG in the RollerShutter Item.

The Flow in Node-Red is not so generic and does require some editing and configuring before it will work for you.
Feel free to reach out if you get stuck on something.

One last thing… I do require you to sing my praises for a job well done if you can get it to work for you :slight_smile: :rofl: (just kidding)

Consider your praises sung!

It’s taken me nearly 8 months to get around to it, but I finally had a day free enough to sit down and work on this. Your instructions were great. I installed node-red in an Ubuntu VM which was very easy. I basically didn’t have to spend any time learning how to use it. Your instructions were clear enough to just plug in your flow and modify it.

A few minor issues I had to figure out myself, but no show stoppers. Your nrBlinds_Commands item appears as nrBlinds_Command in the script which took me a few minutes looking at the logs to figure out. Also, I couldn’t get OpenHAB to run the existing ECMAscript from the rule. I had to paste the script directly into the rule. It still works though.

I think this took me no more than 2 hours of tinkering to get working. I was prepared for days! I only have one of my 12 blinds connected so far, but it should be trivial to get the rest working. I want to spend a bit of time getting them organised into groups first.

So thank you! This was an extremely generous and helpful contribution.

Glad it worked… I just reread my instructions and they are pretty full on so its good that you were able to figure out my typos and get it to work in your own way.

I’m in the process of changing the OpenHab scripts to use the new JSScipting (latest JavaScprit) addon.
Though not really necessary, it doesn’t seem to hard and it will future proof the scripts.

1 Like