Anyone who connected a regular "old" doorbell to OH?

The Smart implant sounds promising. I could even implement the buzzer.
Even though it’s more expensive.

Because Iam no electrician, I need to figure our first how to connect it… :wink:

That is not a big problem :grinning:

Connect one wire from your doorbell to IN1, the other one to GND (assuming your doorbell is a dry contact, no voltage on the two lines). Connect power to P and the other GND.

You’re the man!
Thanks.
I will order one right away :slight_smile:

Be careful with the electrical configuration.
I, too, am using a Fibaro Universal Binary sensor. It needs 9-30 VDC (DC!) to run.
The Smart Implant seems to be the same (except for zwave+ maybe but connectors are the same).

Doorbell circuits at least in DE typically use 8-12 VAC (AC!). Yeah, strange. Some bell models may continue to work if you apply a different voltage, others may fail (such as mine).
Using that on the input side is fine, but if you also want to keep your doorbell, you also need to provide it on the output side, too (you eventually want to suppress doorbell sounds at times ? so it wouldn’t ring autonomously but only if OH wants it to).
I ended up dropping the bell and now generate the sound via speaker (plus blinking lights, pushover etc, but you will want to hear a sound, too).

1 Like

Hmmm… thanks for pointing this out.
I live in DE and have an Elcom BHT 200 in Place.
I will check its circuits and might (WILL :wink: get back with questions.

Would this help to get it connected?
Sorry for this electronic-rookie question.
https://www.hager.de/tuerkommunikation/i2audio/i2-zubehoer/1901800/928266.htm

1 Like

Sorry but won’t be giving advice on electrics. It can be dangerous if you happen to have a mains powered line. So if you say you’re a rookie and don’t have the skills play it safe and get an electrician, please.

Fair enough.

I will figure it out somehow. Thanks for the warning.

Just for completeness/information.
This manual uses a fibaro door sensor. (Old version!). (Sorry, german link.)

If you are using a AVM FRITZ!Box you will maybe interested in this solution (German).

1 Like

Thanks
I know this article, but look for a solution without visible external device next to my intercom.
Thanks for sharing, though.

Thanks for sharing.
That looks promising - I will check it out

Here is my solution. Battery operated.

I have a xiaomi door sensor i have always wondered what to do with. These guys are doing it

Im gonna give it a go and openhab it - xiaomi stuff is super small and cheap once you have the hub

1 Like

Interesting concept. But note it only works “magnetically” for doorbells to use/allow for that mechanically.
And mind the Xiaomi stuff phoning home by default. I guess you could use any (small enough) door sensor though.

I can recomend to use NELLO.io, a simple IOT device which reads the bus signal from almost every intercom. 5 years ago I read out the signal going to the doorbell speaker into a pin on the RPI, but I am more pleased with the nello solution, since I then also can grant accsess to family and friends and it also will work when OH crash. So far I have had zero downtime on the NELLO device !!

Thanks, Kim,
That’s discontinued and depended from a cloud which now i covered by someone else, I heard…!?

looks interesting - thanks!

I use a similar method with a cheap magneric reed switch and a Fibaro FGK101 Z-Wave door sensor.

In principle, a chime with a solenoid coil can switch a reed switch connected to any sensor without the need for an electrical connection. As you say, an electronic chime isn’t going to work. :slight_smile:

My doorbell has both connections to the transformer and bell push so I tried using a rectifier and buck convertor to power the sensor from the 8-20V AC doorbell transformer. Sadly even with back-EMF protection diodes, my experiments ended with failed DC-DC convertors - AA batteries proved easier!

I should try again with a better DC-DC convertor, an ESP12 module, and Tasmota firmware to get both MQTT status and control via relays. You can achieve a surprising amount using config rules without having to compile Arduino code.

I had my father in law build that one for me to have it run off the 8VAC, seems he did a good job :slight_smile:
Now running a Fibaro Universal Sensor off it.
It has a digital IN (BTW the older versions of the Fibaro Window sensors have one, too).