Aquaro Smart Water Monitor

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aquaro-water-monitor/aquaro-smart-water-monitor-get-leak-alerts

FYI, interesting project, hope it works out. No cloud dependency, no subscriptions, data is local, API for home assistant (I assume it can easily be used in OH then), no plumbing required.

1 Like

It does look interesting, but I’ll wait for retail.

I dislike when crowdfunding creators set low goals, so that they’ll be guaranteed to meet them and can say things like, “10,000% funded in the first two days!” In my experience, these are the campaigns that often fail to deliver on time or at all, so I stay away from them. Hopefully, the Aquaro folks will be an exception and pull this off as promised.

I’ve long thought that Kickstarter should require creators to set actual targets, and then have a maximum threshold that they can go above those targets. That would force creators to be more realistic and offer more protection to backers from both naive and sketchy creators.

all true, but I really hope they make it as I’m looking for a similar device for years :slight_smile:

The Same Situation here. The Price is high on my oppinion. And for me it is hard to decide do I really need the device? How high is the possibility that a water line will break? In Germany. Zero percent. So I think it is nice to have. Furthermore I cannot imagine how the device will figure out if I use the shower or I flush the toilet upstairs.

Why water line has to break? What if water heater breaks or under sink pipes? You dont think its useful to find out you are leaking 100liters per minute while you are not in the house?

It can detect it by patterns, same as electricity. Different “devices” draw water/power in a different way

As @vanja pointed out, the device doesn’t look for breaks in the water line. It detects flow, and notifies you if something doesn’t seem right.

Saying that, I’d agree that it’s expensive since it’s a new technology. I think it would make sense for people who don’t do home automation, because it’s a comprehensive solution. For me, it would be more cost-effective to put Zigbee water-leak sensors under sinks and toilets. That won’t handle every situation the Aquaro handles, such as faucets left running, but would cover my major concerns at a much lower price.

Do you use smart electricity meter? I do. Is it useful or necessary to have grafana graphs for daily/monthly/yearly usage for last 4 years? Not really. Is half of my sensors and smart devices or rules needed? No if you are not Home automation nerd.
This aquaro will be a nice addition to a nerdy grafana, nothing more nothing less.
If it saves me from some leaks it will be fantastic, but it would be even more fantastic to not have leaks :slight_smile:

Price of 150eur is about 6-7months of my water bills.
There is a chance that having a detailed insight will create some savings and mindful usage, same as power meter did for me. But its more about nerdiness then savings to be honest, my water+electricity is neglible compared to other life expenses :slight_smile:

About flood protection, you would need to add smart water valve (main house valve) and then in case of leak detected, auto shutoff water.

I have the first generation Flume on my water main. It’s not ideal because it’s not a local api (but of all the data I could have out in the world, how many times we flush our toilets is not a huge concern for me).

That said, in the years I’ve had it, it has twice caught burst pipe leaks when they started and were still minor instead of days later when the damage would have been visible and extensive (one of those would have included significant damage to my foundation).

It has saved me far more money than I ever spent on it.

I really like the look of this system. I’m not going to jump over while it’s still unreleased and while I have a functioning device, but I will definitely add this to the list of options for if/when my flume dies/gets rendered unusable.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I chair my condo board, and we’ve had some very expensive plumbing issues over the past five years. Luckily, nothing that required insurance claims.