Arduino + MQTT + Ethernet - What Arduino/combo to use?

I’m planning on using a Raspberry Pi 4 as MQTT broker and another Raspberry Pi 4 as main automation + web dashboard.
This seems straight forward enough, but I have a bit of a harder time choosing the best Arduino for the “subsystems” like heating, HVAC, sensor inputs, ect…

I really want to go all wired ethernet, no wifi. So I gues I can go with an Arduino Uno with ethernet shield, or Mega with ethernet shield. But I would also like to use din rail mounts with screw terminals, so shields are more difficult to work with. Now I have seen for example this Arduino Mega with ethernetshield onboard…

Than the question, is the Arduino Mega chip fast enough to effectively use MQTT…? This board also has a ESP-01 socket. But I gues, the ESP module has no direct connection to the Ethernet controller, so you can’t let the ESP handle the MQTT communication. I gues it could via Wifi, but thats not what I want.

Are there arduino (mega) boards with an esp or other fast microprocessor to handle the MQTT stuff with a direct connection to an ethernet port?

I gues there are ESP modules with Ethernet onboard, but I do like the I/O of the Mega. Like for my HVAC valve controller I need at least 10x 5v pwm out ports and 10x 5v analog-in ports. Making this work on an ESP alone seems complicated. Well… at least more complicated than use a simple serial connection to transfer strings with commands from an Arduino to the ESP, and have two seperate programs and
controllers.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.