Australian Bureau of Meteorology integration with OpenHAB

You’re welcome. I’ll do some investigation on that issue.

Hi Lucas,

I noticed this during re-installation of the binding. But after a couple of instances the issue went away.

In any case, I have read the thread you pasted and modified the code according to the people’s recommendation as a precaution. The side-effect of this is that now it takes a little bit longer for the binding to be “online” initially.

Let me know if you still get the error in the log.

This is my closest station.
I’m guessing the two IDs at the top of the page are the weather station ID & the observation product ID?
How would I work out the other IDs to use?

See the readme here: https://github.com/tomitan100/org.openhab.binding.bom

Hi Josh,

Not quite. So based on my instruction here you want:

Observation product ID = IDS60920
Weather station ID = 94683
Precis forecast product ID = IDS10044
City/town forecast product ID = IDS11041
Area ID = SA_PT028

The forecast data for your area (Kuitpo) is a bit tricky to find. It actually falls under “District Forecast” products, which was not documented in my instruction. You are near Mt Barker/Mt Lofty Ranges, so I chose that as the area ID. If this is incorrect please find the correct one.

Let me know if you have any issue.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your work on this, I’m in Adelaide.
I’ve tried to install the binding but the thing doesn’t seem to come online.
Screen shot of my parameters below;

The following was in my log file;

Hi Gus,

I tried your config and it’s working fine for me. What version of openHAB are you using?

Hi CL,

You should probably read openHAB documentation on how to configure openHAB. But to get you started, once you have added the BOM binding in PaperUI:

1. Go to Configuration -> Things -> BOM.
  2. Click on the blue round checkbox next to Air Temperature under Today’s Forecast.
  3. A popup should appear. Under Please select the item to link, choose Create new item.
  4. Leave everything as default. Note the ID of the field under Name (BOM_Day1_AirTemperature).
  5. Click Link.
  6. You can repeat the above steps if you want to show other fields.
  7. Go to Control panel.
  8. You should now see the field you added under BOM panel. The value may take a while to update.
  9. Now go to HABPANEL UI. This is available on the main index page.
  10. Hit the cogwheel on the top right to edit panel.
  11. Add new dashboard.
  12. Type a name for the panel.
  13. Click on newly created panel.
  14. Click on Add Widget and select Dummy.
  15. Click on New Widget options (three vertical dots) and select Edit.
  16. Next to openHAB Item, find BOM_Day1_AirTemperature.
  17. Click Save in the modal.
  18. Hit Save then Run on the top left and you be able to see the temperature displayed. If not, hit refresh on your browser.

That’s the basics. If you want to use custom template similar to the one I use, please check out Matrix Theme for HABPanel. If you are interested in a template I created let me know and I will attach here once I am done. It is still work in progress.

I have attached the full items mapping if you prefer to use instead of manually creating and linking each channel. You will need to name your BOM Thing ID as “default” to use.

https://github.com/tomitan100/org.openhab.binding.bom/raw/master/doc/bom.items

Perfect thanks Tom…I updated my openHAB and now it’s working! Thanks a lot for the reply and the BOM binding.
Cheers Gus

@tomitan Awesome job on the binding, thanks. light_smile:

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this but the Max Temp seems to change dramatically as the files are being processed:

2019-03-02 10:05:24.942 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Processing precis forecast from FTP path: ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDW14199.xml, area ID: WA_PT053
2019-03-02 10:05:24.950 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BOM_Day1_MaximumTemperature changed from 20.1 to 20.8
2019-03-02 10:05:26.509 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BOM_Day1_MaximumTemperature changed from 20.8 to 26.0
2019-03-02 10:05:26.524 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Successfully processed precis forecast data.
2019-03-02 10:05:26.525 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Processing city/town forecast from FTP path: ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDW12300.xml, area ID: WA_PT053
2019-03-02 10:05:27.635 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Successfully processed city/down forecast data.
2019-03-02 10:20:26.502 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BOM_Day1_MaximumTemperature changed from 26.0 to 21.6
2019-03-02 10:35:28.035 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BOM_Day1_MaximumTemperature changed from 21.6 to 22.5
2019-03-02 10:35:28.035 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Processing precis forecast from FTP path: ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDW14199.xml, area ID: WA_PT053
2019-03-02 10:35:29.850 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BOM_Day1_MaximumTemperature changed from 22.5 to 26.0
2019-03-02 10:35:29.855 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Successfully processed precis forecast data.
2019-03-02 10:35:29.856 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Processing city/town forecast from FTP path: ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDW12300.xml, area ID: WA_PT053
2019-03-02 10:35:30.970 [INFO ] [nhab.binding.bom.internal.BomHandler] - Successfully processed city/down forecast data.

Yep, I see this myself in the morning. Then it settles down afterwards. Looks like it affects only “Day1” (today). I’ll get to the bottom of it.

Hi Andrew,

Should be fixed now if you reinstall the binding. The code was updating min and max temperatures from observation XML for Day1, which is incorrect as those are not forecast temperatures but historical temperatures.

Regards,
Tom

That was quick, good work, thanks @tomitan I’ll give it a try.

Just wanted to say thank you for this binding. I had no trouble switching from the script to the binding & everything is working great!

You’re welcome!

Hi all,

I have added BOM radar image loop generation in the binding. If you are interested please see the updated documentation https://github.com/tomitan100/org.openhab.binding.bom/blob/master/README.md.

I have deliberately made it quite generic so that it is possible to support images other the radar image loop. e.g rainfall loop, etc.

Would like to hear from you guys if there are any defects as I do not have time to test all possibilities.

Regards,
Tom

2 Likes

Love this binding, makes localised weather data so easy!

Was just wondering if there is any way of manipulating the Precis Forecast Description so that it can display the whole result on BasicUI? I currently have it set in a weather frame, however, all I can see for today’s is:

Partly cloudy. Areas of smoke haze, mostly in the west, but extend...

Naturally this doesn’t read well. Any possible way of it displaying the whole result? Thanks again for your work!

Hi Spicerackk,

The text display length is actually limited by BasicUI, not the binding itself. I am not too familiar with BasicUI, so not sure what you can do to expand the result over two lines. It is probably possible to modify its stylesheet. That requires a bit of digging around.

Regards,
Tom

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party here… I’m setting up the BOM binding currently but I’m really struggling to find the AAC code. I believe I have all other code I need but This one has me baffled. I’ve follower the instruction in the binding documentation and done a lot of googling to no avail. Where did you find yours?

When I enter the codes as shown in in the binding documentation I get the Perth forecast but I can’t get it to work for Melbourne - Laverton observation station.

Did you use the information on the github page? I see it in IDV10450.xml as

area aac=“VIC_PT037” description=“Laverton” type=“location” parent-aac=“VIC_ME001”