Bad start on install

I entered and verified the Ubuntu login but when OpenHAB install asks me for my email address I get “Creating use failed: error: while creating user: cannot create use xxx@xxx.com no such keys found”

You need to provide a lot more information because installing openHAB does not ask for an email.

It comes up with “press enter to configure”. You enter ETH/WI-Fi connection, IP address or DNS and then the email. Does it just automatically continue if you don’t press enter?

You say you are in Ubuntu. How are you installing? With theapt command?

Again, openHAB does not ask for any of this when you install it. This is not coming from openHAB.

If you are trying to use openHABian, then beware that it states in the docs that openHABian does not work with Ubuntu. And because openHABian is designed to run headless, it doesn’t ask for this information either.

I flashed a Micro card with Etcher using this file: openhab-core18-pi.img.xz. I then inserted the Micro card into Raspberry PI 3 and powered it on. Seemed simple enough. I am coming from HA so the process is similar. It’s just sitting there on “press enter to configure”. I found another file to try: openhabian-pi-raspios32-202308121256-gitc6a2fa1-crcc361b879.img.xz

Why starting with such an old build? Please be aware that the best option for Pi is the official openHABian Image from

Please take the 32 Bit version for Pi3 (or use the official Pi Imager to download and flash directly, openHABian is part of the installer as well as HA).
It’s not that you can’t use Ubuntu, but there is no real point to do it on a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

This one seem to be the one from the openHAB site after I selected Raspberry Pi and the latest “stable” version. I have since found another file and it seems to be auto installing. The file is “openhabian-pi-raspios32-202308121256-gitc6a2fa1-crcc361b879.img.xz” The link to the 32 bit version you provided seems to be the one I also found. THANKS.

Yes, this is the most recent stable openHABian Pi Image. It’s based on Raspberry Pi OS lite (bullseye for now), there also is a prerelease with bookworm but it’s not recommended yet (some hickups…).
openHABian will boot, extract to full size of the Micro-SD-Card, reboot and then automatically download and install openHAB4.1.1, the current stable version, and it will also download and install some other stuff which will improve the user experience :slight_smile: such as samba, frontail and of course zram to reduce wearout of the Micro-SD-Card.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.