Basic UI problems

Hello,

I’m new to openHAB. I startet a view weeeks ago with OH2.
Many thanks to the all developers. You realy do a fantastic job. openHAB is in my opinion by far the best solution for home automatisation.
and this for free…unbelivable. I have testet at least 4 other solutions. Same of them very expensive.

The project for my house has about 120 sensors/actors, 6 Sonos speakers, 4 Mobotix cameras and some selfmade Arduino Hardware.
The bindings i use are the available one (Enocean, MQTT, Sonos) and a new one which i have startet to implement (Sienna Powerline).
The software runs on an ODROID XU4 / Lubuntu embedded board.

All the bindings i use work as expected. So far no problems.

The problems i have are regarding the Basis-UI (Firefox 43.0.4, Google Chrom latest version)

1 (God help me, this is a bug and not intended)
The new “selection” item does not show the selected text in the same line. Was ok in OH1 with the “String item”

item:
Number HeatingState “Heizung [%s]”

sitemap:
Selection item=HeatingState mappings=[0=Automatik,1=Warm,2=Absenkung,3=Frostschutz]
The text of the selection is not displayed after closing selection-box.

Setpoint item" loses the dimension sign after you press up/down arror (1.0 °C -> 1.0) (refresh page, autorefresh, change page -> ok).
Same happens with “date item” it loses the formating after update.

I have “light ON/OFF items” and “dimmer items” in one group.
In the group overview i have the symbol-state and the numer of "switched-ON lights
Changing a light-switch-ON/OFF shows in the group line the correct symbol-state and the correct numer of items which are switched-ON
(0)
(>0)

Changing the Dimmer value > 0 shows in the group line the wrong sysmbol-state but the correct number of switched-ON dimmers
(1)

• contact group/items work as expected.
  • rollershutter group/items work as expected

On my iPhone 5s (ios8) the symbol-states (light, dimmer, contact, rollershutter) do not work at all with OH2. Has anybody an idea ?
My iphone worked great with OH1

The OH2-Basic-UI needs about 20% more space to display Heading/Group/Items than the classic-UI. For a small project
this looks very nice. But for a bigger project you become a scroll-master. I think it would make sense to put 2 figures in ui-cfg file.

• padding Header
  • padding Items

I know none of the above items are bugs (if you ask a developer:wink:)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Note that the Basic UI is maintained at Eclipse SmartHome, so don’t wonder if I ask you to enter bug reports there.

1. Sounds like a bug, please report at https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3ABasicUI+is%3Aopen
  2. This is a known issue: https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/640
  3. Is this only on the Basic UI or also on the Classic UI?
  4. Known issue: https://github.com/openhab/openhab.ios/issues/65
  5. I personally also prefer denser UIs. So feel free to enter an enhancement request at https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues?utf8=✓&q=label%3ABasicUI+

Thanks!
Kai

Hi Kai,
Thanks for answering.

Origionaly i used the classic.ui (i think in practice it is easier to handle) But the apple makes the decision whow we have to operate a computer.

Tested with compiled version from master repo (10.1.2015)

1.) Contact

Contact Window_GF_OfficeB “Büro Balkon [MAP(de.map):%s]” (GF_Office, Windows) {enocean="{id=01:8C:58:07, eep=D5:00:01, parameter=CONTACT_STATE}"}
Group:Contact:OR(OPEN,CLOSED) Windows (All)

sitemap
Group item=Windows label=“Alle (geöffnet) [(%d)]” icon=“contact”

Result: contact icon is on both grey(undefined) (item and group) (independent of state OPEN/CLOSED)----No of openend windows (%d) is correct

2.) Dimmer

item
Dimmer Light_FF_Living_1 “Wohnzimmer1 [%d %%]” (FF_Living, Lights)
Icon is always bright, and you have no change to switch it OFF (grey)
With “short click” the log shows the correct infos …switched ON …switched OFF

interesting:
sending a command OFF from a rule to the Lights group sets the (xx) in the group to zero, but the icons are still bright yellow.

3.) Rollershutter

item: ok
Group: icon-symbol shows always “half open”, independent of all items are OPEND or CLOSED.

On all objects: Functional everything is ok. The problem is only the displayed icons.

not reproducible: (Firefox, Chrome)

a) switching from a page to a sub-page (1st time) could take up to 10 seconds (standard:0,5s) (e.g. from group contacts to page where all the contacts are shown)
happens only the first time you activate the page. If cahched once by the browser it works ok.

b) with playing arround, it could happen that the page pointer is lost (in this case you can’t move back to the privous page…you have to press the home button)

regards from austria
siegi

Regarding (5): I definitely have not tested the UI with a lot of items before, now I did and it doesn’t look good. I’ll look into adding an option for adjusting item density on mobile screens. @sisim did you mean it’s not convenient to scroll on a mobile device or does your point apply to the PC screen too? Thanks for the feedback!

Small mobile devices (like my iPhone5s)

For me the handling and density is perfect. On small devices you need this hight in order to press a button with the finger. There are some small things that could be improved (in my opinion).

1. Sonos player control: all buttons should have a minimum width, and the 4 buttons in one line shoud then have the same width.
  2. If more than 1 “button switch” is in one line, they should have a minimal width, and all of them should have the same width
  3. i personally would prefer that all sliders have the same width
  4. And of course the most important: The icon-state should be according to the item/group state (which is not the case at the moment)

medium mobile devices like my ipad 10"

same as small mobile devices

Desktop Basic-UI

In think the classic-UI has a good relation between text height and vertikal padding.

So what do you mean by header and item padding? Change the base row height so more rows could be visible on the screen at the same time?

Also, it would make sense to split very big item lists into a hierarchy using groups and sub-frames. Unless you have a hundred items all in the same room :slight_smile:

Yes with simple words, more rows should be visible on the screen at the same time (on desktop pc).

lets go to practice:
i have a house with 3 flours + outdoor area.
total about 50 light actors (switch, dimmer)
total about 30 window/door closed sensors
total 12 room temperature sensor
other stuff

I think the basic structre for all users is more or less the same
Flour -> Room -> Items

But what i want to know, if i check from remote the state of the house, or if i leave the house:
which lights are switched on, which windows are open, what are the temperatures in the rooms

so i put each light additionally in a group "light"
each window/dorr additionally in a group "contacts"
each temperature additionally in a group “temperatures”

the main screen sows the light group, the contact group, the temperature group
Without clicking i can see if lights are switched on (how many), with 1 click i can see wich lights are switched on (can switch it off).
Same for the others.

Do you think i could do this in a better way ? Each suggestion is very welcome.

Just so you know — now there is an option which changes the layout so more items can fit on the screen. https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/blob/master/distribution/smarthome/conf/smarthome.cfg#L12

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. You are great.

Hi Siegi,
my reply is off-topic, but I did not find another way to contact you.

I am also new here and searching an open home automation system where I can implement the Sienna Powerline system. Now I found your post and I would like to get more informations how you have implementet the Sienna System.

Best regards
Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Sorry I missed your post.
Yes, i have implemented an openhab2 binding for Sienna Powerline for the following devices (at the moment)
Sienna AM1
Sienna SAM1L
Sienna SAMDR
Sienna SAM2
Sienna-Enocean gateway (door/window sensor, movement-sensor)

What you need:

Sienna Powerline Gateway (USB/Serial)
Sienna Configuration Software to configure Domain/Group/Element -ID for the devices

Things configuration looks like:

Bridge siennapl:BRIDGE:1 [ serialPort=“COM10”, baud=9600, neuronId=“0503E1D2E200” ] {
SAM1L A-1 [neuronId=“0502601CF600”, groupId=“A”, elementId=1]
SAMDR A-2 [neuronId=“05024ED65200”, groupId=“A”, elementId=2]
SAM2 E-1 [neuronId=“05025FC50E00”, groupId=“E”, elementId=1]
RFGS N-1 [neuronId=“0503E8AA7F00”, groupId=“N”, elementId=1]
RFGS N-2 [neuronId=“0503E8AA7F00”, groupId=“N”, elementId=2]
RFGS N-3 [neuronId=“0503E8AA7F00”, groupId=“N”, elementId=3]
}

item configuration looks like:

… {channel=“siennapl:SAM1L:1:A-1:outlet”, autoupdate=“false”}

I’m running my home automation on an ODROID XU4 Ubuntu14 LTS based embadded system

Hi Siegi,

Thanks a lot. Meanwhile I have the geteway and will try it.

br
Gerd

Hi Gerd,
You’ll see these sienna devices are really fantastic.
I have implemented in the meantime the sienna enocean gateway. So it is possible to connect tempereatur sensors, movement detection, door/window contacts without wires over PL.
I’m using the binding now since 3 months in real life. So far without problems.

I would really like to provide my binding to all, who want to use the sienna devices. But i have no idea how to do this. And at the moment no time to go through the contribution documentation.

But if you want to use it, let me know. I can send you a download link of a zip-file and an example how to use it.

Hi Siegi (@s.simma),

I followed your conversation, it seems to be the only one about Openhab and Sienna devices so far as far as I can see. I’m really interested in your experience and would like to use it as a starting point, I have some of these devices, mainly for sun shades, and would like to control them a bit better. Would you be so kind and share your files you mention with the bindings and an example?

Thanks.

Carsten

@Carstens
I have created a new thread “Sienna Powerline Binding”