Best AV-Receiver for OpenHAB

@mstormi @Kim_Andersen @gersilex

Did you know that there was a fusion of Onkyo and Pioneer in 2015.

Most of the Pioneer AV Receivers after 2015 (exactly since April 2016) are supported by the Onkyo Binding.
There is no need to update Pioneer AVR binding with models after 2015 (since April 2016). Instead the Onkyo binding documentation should be updated.

Did you try out Onkyo binding?

See also here:

SC-LX501 (2017 model)

VSX-S520 (Model 2016)

VSX-831

Pioneer VSX-1131 (identical to VSX-531 and VSX-831).

1 Like

No I didnt know that. Will give it a try asap.

1 Like

I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 and control almost everything via openHab. Controlling the 2 extra zones are much easier via openHab. Also switching between sound modes (normally you need to toggle between all modes, in openhab I just select the correct one).

1 Like

That’s great news. It might be even worth to migrate the features into the one binding and maybe rename it some day. Thanks for the info!

I didn’t know they’re compatible … but that seems to be just the same sort of generic support that exists in the pioneeravr binding, too (ipAvrUnsupported I think it’s called there).

Yes it’s called “ipAvrUnsupported”. (I don’t know exactly which channels are supported there). But the “generic support” of Pioneer binding has all the same channels like the “fully supported” Pioneer models.

I have an SC-LX72 and all is running but the “Display Channel”.

I just tried the Onkyo binding. It does not auto discover my receiver. I havn´t tried manual setup, yet.

Make sure that “network standby” is enabled in your receiver settings.

Manual configuration: You need to know IP address and port.

Port can be: 23 or 8102 or 60128

Network standby is enabled.
According to the Pioneer binding its port 23. I tried all three ports you´d suggest, but no luck.

Try with the pioneeravr binding first, this time using ipAvrUnsupported or ipAvr2016 channel type and port 60128 or 8102 (port is user-definable BTW).

Seems to be my receiver not responding right now. The Android app cant reach it either… This is really a bad receiver.

I’ve got the predecessor model and wholeheartedly disagree, it’s pretty reliable. Did you ever configure it via web?

No, cant reach it on port 80.

Are you sure the Receiver is in the network at all?

Did you set a manual IP-ADDRESS or DHCP?

I would use a manual IP-ADDRESS for being sure that is the correct one.

It was yesterday. Right now it´s in use (wife watching TV). So I cant get to it.

I use Static IP.

I´m pretty sure it has fu*** up again… Chromecast binding , as well as Google Home dont see it either… Happens very often. I then have to turn it off (power off) and then everything is fine untill next time.
I have contacted Pioneer about it (yesterday)… But I have very few hopes this will ever get fixed.

@Kim_Andersen I have a similar issue with my Onkyo TX NR-646. I’ve had the amp for several years and have controlled it using the Onkyo app, iRule, and now OH. I have learned that there are certain 3rd party commands (delivered via iRule, OH, etc.) that randomly will lock up the amp to a point where the amp won’t respond to commands and the native app won’t connect. The only way to restore functionality is to cycle the power.

The latest versions of the Onkyo binding don’t seem to have the same problem but I also power cycle the amp off for 10 minutes every night to reset the network connection. It will still lock up occasionally now but seems more reliable than it used to be.

I believe it’s a poor designed network protocol/interface.

As far as I recall from my old testing, the device allows only very few (3?) connections to be established. the next one will lock the device until the earlier connection is released again.

Nice to know I´m not alone :smiley:
I have just power cycled the receiver.
Now I can reach it through the web interface, (chromecast binding also found it again). And now the Onkyo binding also found it automatic.

I have had Onkyo and Sony receivers before. Onkyo was the aboslut worse… It suffered from the HDMI problem where the HDMI ports will stop working. Then I bougt a Sony DN1040… Great receiver, awesome sound. Unfortunalty Sony DN1040 doesnt support 4K and HDCP 2.2. So I bought this Pioneer… And I really feel I´m back to “Onkyo quality”. It sucks big time! (Sound is okay though). Fortunatly I only “see” this issue regarding the network options, which I hardly use, except for Spotify.

I´m so sick and tired of bad quality devices :rage:
Never ever Onkyo and Pioneer again!

Just remembered, also had a Yamaha receiver… What a great peace of device. Absolut great sound, and working rock stable, untill I had to exchange it for a more update date… I believe thats then I changed to the Onkyo receiver to get a network receiver with more HDMI ports.

But how to tell how many connections?
Sure, I know I use the Chromecast binding for the receiver.
Google Home also connect to it.

Beside that I have no connection to it, except for Spotify once in a while. But I believe Spotify closes the connection when finished?