Best AV-Receiver for OpenHAB

I expect (have not tested) that the limit is on the eISCP interface that the remote control app and OH are using. Not so much the chrome part. (cannot imagine google would certify such a bogged implementation…)

I hardly every use the remote app. I just installed it the other day.
Untill today I have only used OH (Chromecast binding), Google Home and Spotify for the receiver. It still locks up.

Today (after powe cycle), OH/Chromecast binding found the receiver again for god knows how many times now. But it´s a “new” device, cause the Chomecast unique adresse is different each time the binding finds it. It´s pretty weird.

(The adress in the red square changes each tiem chromecast binding finds it):

I believe this issue with the chromecast unique adress changing is cause after the network interface has locked up and it works again after the power cycle. In this case, there is no fix. Chomecast binding will loose its connection for the “old” device adresse, and I have to manually add it again on the new adresse. Same goes for the Google Home app. Its driven my nuts, cause it happens very often, (aprox 1 - 2 times a month).

This receiver is just a really really bad as a networking/chromecast device, in my opinion. Maybe thats why Pioneer made at vsx-934 shortly after…And perhaps this is due to their fusion with Onkyo in 2015. Funny to think, the two brands I have had serious problems with :unamused:

My $0.02.
Overall I’ve been happy with my Onkyo TX-NR609. I did have some issues with the motherboard a few years ago (sent it in for replacement); and then actually had to downgrade the factory-installed firmware to the latest publicly released firmware, but since doing that stuff, my receiver has been stable, sounds good (to my non-audiophile ears), and the OH Onkyo binding appears to be very stable.
With that said, others have reported substantial issues with Onkyo stability and quality …

Thats the Onkyo I had as well. And just like yours, the boad had to be replaced.

My NR717 also had a motherboard replacement. I also had the network issues from time to time, but a powercycle every night solves this issue. My 2nd HDMI out also stopped working sometimes in the past, but the powercycle solves all issues :grin:

My Pioneer SC-LX72 (from 2009, equivalent to US / Canada models Elite SC-25) never had such problems (motherboard, HDMI). I’m still very satisfied with it.

Maybe try the regular Onkyo binding… for me that has been rather stable in the last few releases.

I use Yamaha, which has a binding with extensive support for features, as well as excellent Android and IOS apps. If you’re a Costco member they have a impossible to beat Costco-only model, the TSR-7850. A side note: one fairly unique feature with the Yamaha AVs is that they come with a microphone that is used to automatically set up the levels for a home theater (not just balance and fade, but frequency parametric levels). I figured it was just a gimmick, but it dramatically improved the sound on my home theater setup!

The Denon AVR-X Dolby Atmos range also have this feature, which configures the Audyssey software for height and distance of each speaker from your listening “sweet spot”, as well as tonal corrections

There is an Android app to manually set this up.

Be aware that it can’t extract a configuration, but it can trigger an audio assessment and use that data.

You can inject different configurations as you wish, using the newly captured data as a base line.

(I paid for the app, used it once…
Never touched it again)

http://manuals.denon.com/avrx4400h/NA/EN/GFNFSYnuokgukf.php

Pioneers, too. No that really is nothing unique. And yes, it greatly improves the home theater sound experience.

1 Like

Indeed, speaking as someone who has setup many multi speaker / channel sound systems by ear / laser measure / tape measure etc…

Letting a computer do the calibration is MUCH easier.

I did once have a colleague tell me that one of my delay lines was 0.0001ms out of sync… But he was just trying to be funny (I think “funny” is the correct word).

The Sony Strdn1080 also has that feature. It’s very stable using the Sony binding that is in dev…

Yeah, I should probably have bought the DN1080 insted of this Pioneer crap! I loved my DN104.

1 Like

I have a Marantz NR1605 and it works flawlessly with Marantz/Denon binding. I was messing with the text files and pre-programmed some basic “Internet radio” channel and volume presets for family. Everybody likes it!

I have a Marantz SR7007, it works very well :slightly_smiling_face: with the demon/marantz binding. Marantz even went to the effort of upgrading all devices - even over 5 years old - to Spotify connect (Love it).
Some settings you’ll have to configure using special commands but you can use all of the Marantz command set (Excel sheet overview).
Not sure you can get a new av Marantz for under 500 though.

I’m using a Denon X2500H, mostly for the radio and occasional music.

The Denon/Marantz binding is pretty good too.

The amp has some nice features and for about ZAR 10000-00 I think it’s close to 500EUR?

It’s 7.1 with all the bells and whistles and 2 Zones, pretty good value for money

Hi Stuart,
This is probably off topic, but since I didn’t know we have forum members with skill sets like you I will ask away. I have an old Denon 2809 and wondering if there is anyway to upgrade the codecs that it can support. It worked great for me previously but I have not used it for 9 years and wondering if I can put some more life into it

Hi

That’s very kind of you to say.

Unfortunately I think what you’re referring to is updating the firmware of your amp.

You might be better off asking the Denon support team, although to be honest I wouldn’t hold out too much hope.

https://www.denon.com/en-GB/contact-us
You might be better off hooking your amp up to a media player with a digital output, so that the media player takes care of processing the codecs.
(That’s what I’ve done in a room in our house, where I’ve got an old 5.1 amp)

1 Like