Best door lock

Fair enough. That wasn’t clear in your first post, because you went directly from:

To:

So, I assumed that you were talking about setting up and managing one system for everyone in the building, including their individual doors. My mistake.

No worries, I was not that clear either, my little one is stealing some sleep these days :grin::roll_eyes::sleeping:

1 Like

I’m using the Yale Assure SL with a Zigbee module.
It has Zigbee, Zwave, Homekit and Wifi/Bluetooth modules available. It has a keypad on which a person can enter a 4 to 8 digit code to actuate the lock. The lock is configured through the keypad, NOT the smart module.

Be aware it has NO KEY! If the batteries go dead, you will need a 9 volt battery to use to power the lock. You press the battery against some contacts under the keypad to allow you to enter your code on the keypad.

It can take a few seconds to respond. For me it varies from instant to 4 annoying seconds. It responds to a keypad code right away.

If the lock jams while locking, OH will report the lock as Open after a few seconds.

Besides Cisa electic wired locks i’ve found an interesting motorised lock Motorlock-C to use on a door, which i don’t want to close every time i pass through. It has wire connections and bt, so i’ve connected it to home automation MegaD by AB-log and to 100Ah battery to be sure i will never run out of charge. 5 different options to lock/unlock: Bt remote, smartphone app, NFC-tag (operated by MegaD), Google Assistant (by Openhab), traditional key. It could be used with batteries and bt-only, in this case it could be installed in less than 30 minutes.

I added https://saltosystems.com/ to the list, looks promising but integration options are unclear, sent an inquiry.

In my experience, the August Z-Wave integration is not worth it. 1) it uses up the battery life at an unbelievable rate (I was changing the batteries every 1 - 2 months) and 2) It won’t unlock most of the time because it is treated as a battery operated node and so it sleeps unless it is sending a message to the controller. That means that the only time it successfully gets the unlock command is when the lock has been woken up by being interacted with in the last few minutes. It’s not a very useful feature to have to unlock your lock manually in order for it to receive the wireless unlock command.

The new Yale/August binding fixes both of the issues (I just went 8 months between battery changes, and it always unlocks) and the lock does integrate fabulously that way. Just don’t use the Z-Wave feature.

This looks like another ChatGPT post to me.

me too, I’ve deleted it