Best hardware platform

I have run OH on RPi but then moved it onto an Asus Revo net top unit, think its an old Atom core with Nvidia chipset, my distro of choice is CentOS.

My core / main OH2 runs on a MacMini forced to run Debian as the OS. The reason for this is that it is more close to my other OH environments that run on RPi with Raspbian.

I firstly thought to just leave the main one on RPi but very quickly realized that I would like to do more than just the OH on it. The various RPi instances (actually two) as floor hub communicate to the main through mqtt.

I believe the issue is OS keeping the files open and without proper shutdown this may lead to corruption, depending on the file system. (Some, like ext3, ext4 should be able to recover)

I suggest trying to install OpenHab on Alpine Linux, which does not sync anything to disk, you need to issue a command for this, manually.

Yes, it may mean that your changes are lost in case of power loss, if you didn’t explicitly sync to disk, but it can also keep the file system good.

How about Intel Edison ?
I have tried OpenHab on top of it, and it worked not bad.

We had same issue with pi 1 & 2 , forever reimaging every couple of months tried exterenally powered external drive for data with read-only OS which reduced the problem. But eventually this corrupted as well. Seems to be power related. Currently replaced it all with pi3 couple of weeks ago as heard People had less of these problems with this device. Time will tell.

Love it!! - Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2807 https://www.google.ca/search?q=Gigabyte+GB-BXBT-2807&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwz-CqzI7MAhUIPT4KHTrJCEEQ_AUIBygC

My Setup - My Config Collection - Might help Someone

New controller I’m using. Dell Netbook 10. 8+ hour battery, 250gb SSD cool little thing…Installed debian 7 on it. Paid 40 bucks for it on craigslist.

1 Like

Hi all,

Short update…
I’m running Openhab (1.8.x) now for some weeks on the Intel NUC with GREAT satisfaction. The installation of Debian was simple, same for Openhab. It’s been running very stable AND very fast. Adding the Zwave stick and the RFXcom433e was also very painless.
I’m now busy with figuring out intelligence to add by writing rules.

ps. I there someone who was able to “hack” the Somfy Sun/Wind sensor to speak back to Openhab (e.g. by adding Arduino with MQTT) or anything similar? Just curious if I would be able to use the sensors already outside instead of installing new ones…

Thanks!
/Jasper

I’d like to point you at the Odroid C2.
It’s got the same size and processor as the RPi3, but higher clockrate, native GigEth, eMMC and a better video unit.
While ARM64 implementation may not be flawless, this is being worked on and hopefully solved for now (see PINEA64 thread). Changing to a different CPU architecture seems even more risky to me. And you don’t need to run a 64bit Linux or JVM.
The Odroid comes at just a slightly higher price (40$ or 50€ plus SD or eMMC card and power supply), and unlike the RPi, it can do 4K video, so it will make up for a good media server/HTPC replacement, too.

EDIT:
and I just read that it has GPIO pins TO INCLUDE analog input ports, too. If you want to attach sensors like I do, that’s a big plus over RPIs and NUCs.
Here’s a comparison to RPi 3 and PINE A64+.

1 Like

Anyone interested in a comprehensive comparison on single-board computers, have a look at this wikipedia article.

I’m running Asus Chromebox CN60 Panther. Found used on ebay for 50 USD. 4 usb3 ports, bluetooth, wifi, 16GB M2 sata, 2 GB ram built in. Reflash to standalone UEFI bios here: https://mrchromebox.tech. Trying to interface Arduino with MySensors to replace alarm system door & window contacts. Anyone else try chromebox?

Actually I’m using an Raspberry with an 16GB SD Card for half a year now - no problems yet. Starting from a size of 16GB the SDcards replace damaged sectors I’ve read.

Anyway i could recommend this alternative with an x86 processor and 32GB eMMC storage: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1498.html
The LattePanda board is available starting at 75€ or 90$

All,

That’s a very interesting discussion and fits to my experience as well (unpredictable crash of my RPI 2 running OH 2.1 stable for a few Months without issues.

Because I was really happy about finding openhabian to start pretty quickly I wonder if such an “accelerator” would be available for the Intel based up-board as well!?

My understanding is that openHABian should work on any Debian based Linux distro. Theoretically you should be able to install Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, et al on the machine, download the openHABian scripts and run them.

I don’t know if anyone has tried that though and there might be some board computer specifics that need to be customized (e.g. flashing the light when everything is done).

@ThomDietrich, have I misstated anything?

Nope, 100% correct. I’m always wondering how I can highlight this underrated feature better. The “Manual Setup” steps should succeed on all modern Debian/Ubuntu systems with the exception of special hardware architectures that might need special attention. There were many reports of successful installations on all kinds of devices.

@NCO please give it a try. A quick look at the specs suggests that the openHABian scripts should work without issues. Let me know how it went!

1 Like

What’s the point? Do you really need a faster CPU than a Pi’s ? Any other platform will likely have its own specific problems, be it in the HW or the OS. Safest and easiest (and best supported) is to stay with the mainstream.

There is probably no “Best hardware platform” as it all depends on the specific deployment scenario. So in case you are looking for a professional and robust solution, please have a look at the RPi compatible Telegea Smart Hub. If there is some feature you are missing, let us know. Community feedback is important for us.

There is already a forum discussion here.

Ondrej

1 Like

Would this address the SD card issue (corrupt SD cards) and does it work with openhabian ?

1 Like

Thanks, I will as soon as I have chosen a new HW platform

Hi Jasper,

I am facing the same issue and considering a NUC as well.
Have you succeeded and did you possibly use openhabian?
Which NUC did you choose?
Thanks in advance