Best/Ideal Hardware to install OpenHAB?

I am not sure a USB dongle is much better. Some people have used an SSD with USB adapter case though. I did that for a while since I had a spare SSD.

Good point, I’ll try that as well.

Here’s the case I bought,

If it can run Java 8, it will run openHAB. Not sure why you would want to though.

There is a binding for this, but MyQ keeps changing the API so it keeps breaking. It’s also a 1.x binding and I don’t know if there is a 2.x version in the works. I hope so.

Hi JB.
As @Bruce_Osborne rightly raised point about sd corruption, you should use a software named DietPi on your raspberry. DietPi is aggressively optimized deb based OS to run on SBCs and hence uses least possible resources (CPU,RAM and also minimum writes to SD) and hence better suits than Raspbian or any other disto. I highly recommend trying that instead.
For power backup, I use these( pretty good actually)

With 2 18650 cells a raspberry easily runs for more than 12 hours for me.

An ever-recurring misconception, a USB stick does not improve reliability. Go ZRAM instead.
BTW this PR is to change the description in openHABian.

1 Like

According to its specs, it only output 2.2A when using 5vdc. Thats not enough for a stable Rpi. It may well work, but it may as well give some issues (instable issues). Maybe it works better, when using DietPi. I havn´t tried.

That will also not work with a Pi 4 that uses USB-C for power.

Thats not a problem, cause you can connect it otherweise, as there are 5vdc pin outputs on the board. So you can make you own cable and provide the power to the Rpi.
But I would be concerned about the 2.2A current for sure, since the Rpi requires 2.5A and there has been alot of a issues with powersupplies not beeing stable enough to run an Rpi. 2.2A may work, if you dont push the Rpi to its absolute limits, and avoid using the USB ports at the same time.

That’s wrong for the most part. It does not minimize writes to an acceptable level.
Either way it’s essentially meaningless as you will completely undermine any OS effort if you install openHAB on top as it all by itself generates way too many writes.
The proper advice is to go with openHABian and enable the ZRAM feature there.

It does not require 2.5A, that’s just the Raspi foundation’s advice to be on the very safe side in all use cases. 2.2A is well enough unless you have an extraordinarily demanding set of external peripherals attached to your Pi. Almost all power supplies in use with Pis only supply 2.1A.
RPi4 of course is a different story (USB-C, 3A).

The “original” once is 2.5A. And it´s common known to get a good 2.5A for the Rpi3´s. There has been many problems with unstable powersupplies.

1 Like

It of course doesn’t hurt (except your purse) but no, that’s not “common” knowledge and in fact most people run with 2.1 supplies without problems.
It only gets risky when you attach power hungry hats or peripherals to obtain their power through USB which is what only a minority of (OH) users does.

How would you know when a USB device is “power hungry” ? :smiley:

Read the specs, get a multimeter to confirm if you want to be on the safe side.
And RPis will log “undervoltage” warnings when encountered.

You/I know how to.
Question is, how many do you actually think would even consider this matter?
For most, the situation is simple - “There are 4 USB sockets. They fits USB devices… Lets use them!”.
Then the trouble starts, which in most cases probably wont lead the user to think that the USB device(s) uses too much power, cause now the symptoms appear as a unstable running Rpi.
Thats why the recommend 2.5A powersupplies.

If you google this, you´ll find several cases like this, and some even claim the (old) original power supply wasn´t good/stable enough. It became better when the Rpi3 was released.

Thats news to me. Where does it log this info?

As with anything in life, in the first place everybody is responsible for himself how and where to inform him(her)self, which action to take and in either case to bear with the consequences.
Just as I don’t start HW tutorials with “don’t put it under water”, dry my cat using the microwave oven or rely on politicians to promise things to happen.

syslog

R Pi itself takes well below 1 amps without any peripherals even at full load. Which is sufficient for a server running OH. This 18650 module works great for me and is dirt cheap. You should give it a try.

Hmmm. Sounds great. I wish I could use the ZRAM feature but lately I have shifted to another piece of hardware named Orange Pi which won’t run Openhabian in the first place. Poor me. I wish Openhabian was able to run on other SBCs as well.

It does :wink:
Just install Armbian and then do the manual Debian install procedure.
It works for me on an BananaPi since many months (~2 years?)

See:

Yes I have used armbian prior to switching to dietpi and yes I am using OH on my orange pi(on OS dietpi). I found OH to be whole lot snappier on Dietpi compared to Armbian. Yes the ZRAM feature is on Armbian but not yet on Dietpi.
But Dietpi have included ZRAM in the upcoming version. I have to wait for that because Armbian Vs Dietpi, Dietpi wins hands down.