Best/Ideal Hardware to install OpenHAB?

I’ve done a lot of reading (not enough) and still would appreciate some help from the community.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with its own display. Was hoping to have OpenHAB self-contained and reside on such computer. Now, I came to realize that OpenHAB can reside on ANY computer, and accessing it can be done from any other device/browser.

I’ve also read that some platforms/hardwares are not as robust as others (RPI vs. Windows vs. Linux …)

The hardware I’d like to incorporate:

1. Multiple Wyze Cameras
  2. Multiple TP-Link smart plugs (to control lights)
  3. 2× Nest Thermostats
  4. Smart Garage Door Opener
  5. Wyze smart Bulbs

My questions:

1. I have an old Windows computer (Intel CPU). Can it be recycled to house the OpenHab package?
  2. What software platform is more robust/stable and easy to tweak?

There’ll be more as I move along and stumble on more ‘challenges’ :slight_smile:

The most robust & stable software would likely be Debian.
How easy it is to tweak would depend much on your expertise.

Hi,
Surely it could run on an old PC, but consider also the power consumption of an old PC…openhab it’s meant to run 24/7 so something more power saving it’s desirable.

For the platform I suggest Linux (some Debian based distro) it’s more robust and you can get more assistance as the majority of the community is running some Linux.

To start, that’s an apples to oranges list. RPi is a physical computer capable of running lots of different operating systems. There is even a version of Windows that will run on it. Windows and Linux are operating systems that can run on an RPi or any number of other computers.

1. With the firmware that provides RTSP or using the default firmware? If the default firmware then you are out of luck. Wyze has not yet opened an API that makes it usable. If the RTSP firmware is in use, you will want a CCTV software to manage the video feeds. I use Shinobi but Zoneminder and BlueIris are popular. You will not want to be processing more than one or two video streams on an RPi.

2. There is a TP-Link binding which should work with this I think.

3. You are out of luck. Google killed the “Works with Nest” API and replaced it with the “Works with Google” API which is: less capable, closed to only vetted third parties, openHAB isn’t a vetted third party. Therefore, until Google opens things up a bit, only those who had Nest configured with openHAB prior to August this year will continue to be able to integrate Nest with openHAB. New users are out of luck and even those grandfathered in will lose access to Nest probably sometime early next year.

4. Which one?

5. You are out of luck. Wyze has not yet provided an API so there is no way to integrate them with OH. I imagine there might be some people trying to reverse engineer the API (they did so for the cameras until Wyze released the alternative firmware). But until someone figures the API out or Wyze releases an API there’s no way to integrate them with OH (or any other home automation system).

1. Of course, and you don’t have to keep it running Windows. A server or lite version of Linux (Ubuntu is really popular) will make that old Windows computer feel brand new.

2. That’s a loaded and difficult to answer question because it depends on your skills and knowledge and preferences more than anything. But, to answer an related question, you will find the vast majority of openHAB users are running on some sort of Linux. If you use an RPi, openHABian is definitely recommended. If you choose a Debian based Linux (e.g. Ubuntu), you can manually install openHABian and get the same relatively automated installation of OH and a bunch of related packages.

The official recommendation for hardware is “what ever you have.” If you don’t already have a computer, get an RPi 3 or RPi 4 so you can more easily take advantage of openHABian. The main point is you are just getting started. There is no way to know what sort requirements might crop up. If you can use something you already have, you can put off spending money you don’t have to.

2 Likes

Apparently so :blush: as you’ve missed the official recommendation.

1 Like

There is, and it does work indeed.

Answers to @rlkoshak.
Thank you for the feedback. I realize I was not very clear … By platform/hardware I meant a combination of software/hardware. I fully realize things like the RPI can run many flavors of Linux and also Windows 10 IOT … Here is a question then, is there an openHAB distro for Win10IOT on RPI ? … not sure.
Other answers:

1. Too bad, though Wyze tend to be responsive to the community, we’ll see how that pans out.
  2. Thanks, found the bindings, though it did not detect all my plugs, might need some manual settings
  3. Again, too bad
  4. MyQ - garage opener
  5. Hopefully same as 1.

I have both an RPI4 and multiple RPI3’s … I’ll try the RPI3 first, as I’m saving the RPI4 for OSMC with 4K support.

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback :+1:

1 Like

Thank you … Debian on RPI it is then.

Someone is keeping tabs :slight_smile:

Some people get concerned about SD Card wear on the Pi. Also, be sure you have UPS power so you can sanely shutdown any OH server. Just cutting power has a tendency to corrupt data on most any Linux system.

Yes, I tried OpenHabian, and transferred all files to a low-profile USB dongle. Good point about the UPS.

I am not sure a USB dongle is much better. Some people have used an SSD with USB adapter case though. I did that for a while since I had a spare SSD.

Good point, I’ll try that as well.

Here’s the case I bought,

If it can run Java 8, it will run openHAB. Not sure why you would want to though.

There is a binding for this, but MyQ keeps changing the API so it keeps breaking. It’s also a 1.x binding and I don’t know if there is a 2.x version in the works. I hope so.

Hi JB.
As @Bruce_Osborne rightly raised point about sd corruption, you should use a software named DietPi on your raspberry. DietPi is aggressively optimized deb based OS to run on SBCs and hence uses least possible resources (CPU,RAM and also minimum writes to SD) and hence better suits than Raspbian or any other disto. I highly recommend trying that instead.
For power backup, I use these( pretty good actually)

With 2 18650 cells a raspberry easily runs for more than 12 hours for me.

An ever-recurring misconception, a USB stick does not improve reliability. Go ZRAM instead.
BTW this PR is to change the description in openHABian.

1 Like

According to its specs, it only output 2.2A when using 5vdc. Thats not enough for a stable Rpi. It may well work, but it may as well give some issues (instable issues). Maybe it works better, when using DietPi. I havn´t tried.

That will also not work with a Pi 4 that uses USB-C for power.

Thats not a problem, cause you can connect it otherweise, as there are 5vdc pin outputs on the board. So you can make you own cable and provide the power to the Rpi.
But I would be concerned about the 2.2A current for sure, since the Rpi requires 2.5A and there has been alot of a issues with powersupplies not beeing stable enough to run an Rpi. 2.2A may work, if you dont push the Rpi to its absolute limits, and avoid using the USB ports at the same time.