Best/Ideal Hardware to install OpenHAB?

That’s wrong for the most part. It does not minimize writes to an acceptable level.
Either way it’s essentially meaningless as you will completely undermine any OS effort if you install openHAB on top as it all by itself generates way too many writes.
The proper advice is to go with openHABian and enable the ZRAM feature there.

It does not require 2.5A, that’s just the Raspi foundation’s advice to be on the very safe side in all use cases. 2.2A is well enough unless you have an extraordinarily demanding set of external peripherals attached to your Pi. Almost all power supplies in use with Pis only supply 2.1A.
RPi4 of course is a different story (USB-C, 3A).

The “original” once is 2.5A. And it´s common known to get a good 2.5A for the Rpi3´s. There has been many problems with unstable powersupplies.

1 Like

It of course doesn’t hurt (except your purse) but no, that’s not “common” knowledge and in fact most people run with 2.1 supplies without problems.
It only gets risky when you attach power hungry hats or peripherals to obtain their power through USB which is what only a minority of (OH) users does.

How would you know when a USB device is “power hungry” ? :smiley:

Read the specs, get a multimeter to confirm if you want to be on the safe side.
And RPis will log “undervoltage” warnings when encountered.

You/I know how to.
Question is, how many do you actually think would even consider this matter?
For most, the situation is simple - “There are 4 USB sockets. They fits USB devices… Lets use them!”.
Then the trouble starts, which in most cases probably wont lead the user to think that the USB device(s) uses too much power, cause now the symptoms appear as a unstable running Rpi.
Thats why the recommend 2.5A powersupplies.

If you google this, you´ll find several cases like this, and some even claim the (old) original power supply wasn´t good/stable enough. It became better when the Rpi3 was released.

Thats news to me. Where does it log this info?

As with anything in life, in the first place everybody is responsible for himself how and where to inform him(her)self, which action to take and in either case to bear with the consequences.
Just as I don’t start HW tutorials with “don’t put it under water”, dry my cat using the microwave oven or rely on politicians to promise things to happen.

syslog

R Pi itself takes well below 1 amps without any peripherals even at full load. Which is sufficient for a server running OH. This 18650 module works great for me and is dirt cheap. You should give it a try.

Hmmm. Sounds great. I wish I could use the ZRAM feature but lately I have shifted to another piece of hardware named Orange Pi which won’t run Openhabian in the first place. Poor me. I wish Openhabian was able to run on other SBCs as well.

It does :wink:
Just install Armbian and then do the manual Debian install procedure.
It works for me on an BananaPi since many months (~2 years?)

See:
https://www.armbian.com/download/?tx_maker=xunlong

Yes I have used armbian prior to switching to dietpi and yes I am using OH on my orange pi(on OS dietpi). I found OH to be whole lot snappier on Dietpi compared to Armbian. Yes the ZRAM feature is on Armbian but not yet on Dietpi.
But Dietpi have included ZRAM in the upcoming version. I have to wait for that because Armbian Vs Dietpi, Dietpi wins hands down.

Armbian or Dietpi doesn’t matter (both are Debian based). The point is, if you want to have openHABian (means: not just openHAB!) on your SBC, you actually can! There is a special install option to install openHABian on…

Other Linux Systems (add openHABian just like any other software)

Just install your prefered Debian-based operation system and then follow this:

This brings you the beauty of openHABian with all the automatic installation of dependencies and adiditional software, system tweaking, update control etc. to your preferred system.

Wow ! Thanks a lot for that.:slightly_smiling_face:.
is that really stable? I would have to reinstall to try this way.

Hmmm. Missed that earlier. Okay I would definitely give that a try in the weekend. thanks again

I’m using openHABian following the install procedure linked above on the BananaPi (as I said) but also on a Debian-VM on ESX as well as on Debian on a AMD based embedded system (PC Engines APU.2D4).

All running stable for me.

1 Like

Okay thats great. thanks

Well we cannot guarantee it works with any setup for obvious reasons, only way to find out is to try.
And it’s definitely not supported to enable ZRAM in that mode. You can try, but we don’t take liability.
The safer method is to go with a RPi.

In that case is there any other perks of installing Openhabian instead of just OH?? Because I already run OH (quite well actually)

Sure. Read https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html#features and decide for yourself.

So after reading I think you are pointing me towards the ease of use of openhabian to install other softwares using config tool. Yes I have used Openhabian in the past and know about that. But I find it rather easy to install softwares which I require directly on debian. Is there any thing which would boost performance which is only present in Openhabian is what I meant to ask earlier.

If all you care about is the performance of the computer than there isn’t going to be any sort of script like openHABian that is going to do much for you. The ZRAM feature is the only one that will have any impact on that.

openHABian is for those of us who value our own time over that of the computer so long as the computer runs well enough to do the job. openHABian is a huge time saver in that respect. It doesn’t just install the software, it also configures it to work with openHAB. Even if you know what you are doing, it takes time to configure Mosquitto, Influxdb, Grafana, FronTail, FireMotD, etc.

It also means that you end up with a whole system configuration with fewer unknowns which makes it much easier for us to provide support on this forum.

2 Likes