Best Practice? How-to identfy an item?

Hey,

I am trying to get my log-files clean by solving problem by problem.

One last problem currently is:

2017-09-17 19:18:34.990 [INFO ] [g.knx.internal.dpt.KNXCoreTypeMapper] - Translator couldn't parse data for datapoint type '16.001' (KNXIllegalArgumentException).
2017-09-17 19:20:31.559 [INFO ] [g.knx.internal.dpt.KNXCoreTypeMapper] - Translator couldn't parse data for datapoint type '16.001' (KNXIllegalArgumentException).
2017-09-17 19:23:48.708 [INFO ] [g.knx.internal.dpt.KNXCoreTypeMapper] - Translator couldn't parse data for datapoint type '16.001' (KNXIllegalArgumentException). 

Ok, there seems to be no support for datapoint type 16.001 … but: I dont have any clue witch item it is…

So my question is: How can i identify the iteam causing this error?
I dont want to comment out item by item waiting for the correct item… and maybe there are two or more items causing this error… i could never find out.

So… is there any way to optimize the way the logging goes, so it tells me what item is causing it?

Thanks a lot!
Patrick

First I would put the KNX binding into DEBUG or TRACE mode and see if there are some log statements before this Translator message that hints at what Item is generating it.

The message is from the KNX binding and since it couldn’t parse it the data is never actually getting to the Items so any helpful information has to come from the binding.

I don’t know KNX so will be of no further help.

Hi Patrick,

do you have either the ETS Software or another opportunity to start an Bus-Monitor?
I had exactly the same issue and could solve it using a busmonitor.

What do you do?

1. Start KNX busmonitor
  2. wait for the INFO to show up in the log
  3. double-check, which GA causes the mismatch

In my case, it was a wrongly connected GA (the KNX sent a boolean, but OH2 was expecting a temperature). Good thing, most actuators send cyclical updates. If your item isn’t configured to send the updates every 10mins or so - you probably have to let the busmonitor running until the item Shows up.

But one curious question: Which item uses 16.001? should be easier to find those exotic ones?

@rlkoshak: the KNX binding won’t give more Information in DEBUG or even TRACE…

1 Like

Hey Thomas,

thanks, that really helped.

You are right - not many devices have 16.001… most have 16.000 …
I searches all knx-devices for 16.001 and only 3 are left.
With 16.000 it would have been about 15 or 20 ;-).

Thanks,
Patrick

p. s. it was the error-status of the air-condition. The other two with 16.001 would have been the power-supply with diagnostics support :slight_smile:

1 Like