BETA of Resol binding available on IoT Marketplace

I do not have experiences with this device but found a pdf at Resol

Are you maybe also connected with vbus.net?
This would explain the error (-ERROR: Too many connections active, quitting...)

@chris4789
thank you very much for this link, I also looked at their website, but did not recognize this document.
Meanwhile, I did a reset of the device with the reset button, and repeated the full setup procedure.
Connection to vbus is disabled. First, it was online for roughly 20 min., then it went OFFLINE again with the same error (too may connections active,…). So there must be something else going on.

Which Resol controller have you connected with the KM1?
Maybe you could give us more info about your setup.

mh I am not aware of such an issue, but normally it should work, if you don’t have anything else connecting to the VBUS-LAN interface. Have you already checked the firmware version on the KM1? Is it the latest available? Could you try with “ServiceCenter-Software RSC” ?

Oh it looks as the KM1 is quite old. @danielwippermann do you know anything about the KM1 and it’s TCP/IP-vbus port? Is it working with the vbus-java library properly?

@chris4789: In the first step, I did not connect the Vbus cable, because I wanted to see if the bridge alone is working. The plan is to connect it to an Sonnenkraft Controller SKSC2 (don’t know the exact RESOL name).
@ramack: The firmware version of the KM1 is 2.1.3 (2014), and the in the browser control window fpr the update it is mentioned that a version 2.1.5 (2016) is available, but this cannot be found with the download link @ RESOL, so update fails.
I have asked the RESOL service for a newer version, but they did not react.
Sure, the part is not on sale anymore, but I given the horrbible price of a new KM1 modules (or others), I wanted to give it a try. And the manual is from 2017, so I think, it is reasonable to explect, that it is still functional.
@danielwippermann: maybe, you can tell if this part is somehow related to the DLx devices.
In the controller page there is a firmare history list, it says that since version 2.1.1
[FEATURE] Added KM1
KM1 is now member of the DLx family.

Update:
My careful step-by-step approach was not the best one in this case.
Meanwhile, I connected the Solar Controller to the KM1 device, et voila, it is immediately found in the OH inbox, it identifies itself as a “SKSR 1/2/3”, and I can define items for all relevant channels, without a single connection drop for now nearly one hour :slight_smile:.

Sorry that I bothered you, but maybe, this reported error behavior can serve as a hint in future problem cases for similar configurations.
And BTW: RESOL is not able to provide updates for KM1, due to “legal reasons” (which I do not understand).

Hi everone!

@ramack: the KM1 uses the same VBus-over-TCP functionality just like the DL2 does. So it should work with the resol-vbus-java library.

@paicl01: as far as I know you cannot easily update your KM1 to 2.1.5. I would consider that your „update available“ message is a bug.

Stay safe and healthy!
Daniel

hi @ramack : This is a great initiative to include the binding in native openHAB - especially when version 3.0 without support for the Eclipse Market Place is just around the corner.

If there is there anything ready for testing, I can do that.

I ported the code to OH3 and created a org.openhab.binding.resol-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar based on the ported code. See also my comment in the PR.

Thanks for these efforts @wborn, but the jar as is doesn’t work for the interesting datapoints, we get only the channels for String and DateTime types in that version. I left some technical question in the PR and will hopefully be able to create a new jar “soon”.

So here is a org.openhab.binding.resol.jar of the resol binding that works for me on OH3.

Feedback is warmly welcome.

At first thanks for this binding, it helped and is still helping me a lot!
A few days ago I upgraded to OH3 and it works in general like a charm, same as on 2.5.

The only thing I am struggling is that I get too much entries in log.
I tried to set log level to ERROR only but this does not work, I am still getting INFO entries every few seconds:

2020-12-25 21:30:36.893 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp1' changed from 2.1 °C to 2.2 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:36.896 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.5 °C to 13.600000000000001 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:41.929 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp1' changed from 2.2 °C to 2.1 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:43.887 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.600000000000001 °C to 13.5 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:45.890 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp1' changed from 2.1 °C to 2.2 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:47.937 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp1' changed from 2.2 °C to 2.1 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:47.940 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.5 °C to 13.600000000000001 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:50.940 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.600000000000001 °C to 13.5 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:52.890 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.5 °C to 13.600000000000001 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:52.893 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp3' changed from 51.900000000000006 °C to 51.800000000000004 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:54.885 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp1' changed from 2.1 °C to 2.2 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:54.889 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp2' changed from 13.600000000000001 °C to 13.5 °C
2020-12-25 21:30:54.892 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'DeltasolTemp3' changed from 51.800000000000004 °C to 51.900000000000

Is there a way to stop or even reduce this?

Thanks for the feedback. Currently the finding just forwards every update from the resol controller to OH and yes, the values are jittering due to noise. I have heard that on other bindings this is somehow filtered, but I am not convinced, that it should be the job of the binding to do this noise filtering, as it is a common issue and it seems strange to implement such a thing in each binding.
So in a sense I would say that the best would be to put that filtering into the heart of OH as a property of the item to trigger update actions only if the change since the last update was sufficiently big, or maybe implement a Profile for this behavior. - With that no action would be taken due to many of these item state changes…

Another reason why I don’t want this to be done in the binding directly is that I don’t see a general solution fitting all supported datatypes. Should it also be applied on volume flows and sun irradiation, on humidity and pressure values and what would be the threshold to trigger a new update but still remove the jitter?

Thanks for your reply.
If the data going 1:1 into OH this is fine, but what I meant is the loglevel.
Even if I set level to Error I have these Info entries.

I’d say this is not related to the resol binding. I would try to adjust log4j2.xml to log the ItemStateChangedEvents to a different level or move it to a different file whatever fits your needs.

Maybe that is a little outdated (at least for me the files change a little), but you could read here:

Okay, will try that.
Thanks for the link!

Just to let you know, the binding made it into the official openhab source tree, the ticket to add the support is close and openhab now officially supports resol solar controllers (ok, starting from the next Milestone build for 3.1 M4).

Thanks for all the feedback I received here and all your patience to get this one done. Stay tuned, and please report bugs from now on directly in the issue tracker of the openhab-addons repository.

I would like to add custom logic with Resol Controllers ? is there any specific model that i can use to add the logic ?

basically, when one of the thermostat is out of defined range 6C<S1<95C then energize R3.

Hi, this is not really possible from openhab. Only some of the controllers like the DelataSol MX support the extension modules EM. - these can be emulated by the resolbinding and then be used as a workaround to implement custom logic in OH. - on the other side I think the logic you describe can be achieved already with this controller alone…

At first thank you for this great binding!
I have optimized my solar system what would not be possible without it.

But I am still looking for a possibility to get rid of the overload during the hottest season we have year by year in summer.

I remeber @danielwippermann mentioned in a thread which I did not find that it is not possible or recommended to adjust parameter by the binding.

What I would need is a possibility to start the pump manually by a rule, so not really an adjustment of parameter.
The Resol control allows to cool the boiler but this is not comfortable as it relies on the histeresis only.

So my question is if it is possible to provide a channel of the pump item to start and stop it by a rule?